See Mike Vick run........................... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

See Mike Vick run...........................

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: response

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:27 pm

Ravens_101 wrote:no way is Vick on the same plane as Kordell. Without Vick the falcons would only win near 5 games. I don't understand why people bash vick because he doesnt light up the fantasy stats or doesnt always make the Manning like throws, and audibles.

I cant speak for everyone, but I personally don't care about his fantasy stats. He isn't a good QB. He turns the ball over too much, doesn't protect it (hence his fumbling), can't throw worth squat. He's an incredible athlete, but a horrible QB.

This guy is a winner. Plain and Simple. He wins games. Single-handedly.

So is Big Ben. He's what, 15-1 as a starter? Don't forget how awful that Pittsburg team was before he took over either, but wait, everyone understands that Big Ben had success because of a great defense and a good team. I think its safe to say many don't credit him with leading his team to the championship, but rather losing them that playoff game.

Now let's compare that situation to Vick. Hmm, good solid team, with a great defense that keeps them in games. Look at their history under Vick. The defense did well last year and in 02, but the defense collapsed in 03, horribly. This team lives and dies on its defense, not Vick.

Vick gets credit for beating Green Bay in the playoffs, yet anyone who looks at the stats from that game can clearly see the defense won that game for the Falcons, Vick put up mediocre numbers for any QB, but the defense got an obscene number of turnovers.

I don't care if Vick passes or throws, but the QB is responsible for generating an offense. No other QB is considered to have a "great game" if they get 250 yards 1 TD and 0 turnovers. The fact is, Vick struggles to generate 200 yards of total offense, and can't keep a 1:1 TD:turnover ratio. His "Pro Bowl" stats last year resembled that of Quincy Carter in '03. Much like Carter in Dallas, Vick didn't lead his team to the playoffs, the defense did (Dallas had one heck of a defense in 03), he was just along for the ride.

Why don't critiques acknowledge his improvement and his adoptation to the NFL and the new offense implemented a year ago. He has improved as a passer

What improvement? Compare his 02 season to 04: His QB Rating went down, his TD total went down, his turnover total went up, his total yardage went down, his sack total went up. That is not improvement.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: response

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:20 pm

bruuno2 wrote:
footballchick23 wrote:I think people freak out because he doesn't sit complacently in the pocket and make huge passes. He is athletic, mobile, and doesn't conform to the typical QB stereotype. Different, yes...a good fantasy QB, no. People can't figure him out because he's different and it pisses everyone off. God forbid someone raise the bar on the athleticism of the QB position. Hate all you want...he'll have his day.

No, i don't think people get freaked out because of his style of play.Your wrong there sis.Were tired of getting him jammed down our throat every year by the media! ;-D

Okay, bro! :-t As if TO, Moss, McNabb, Peyton don't get jammed down our throats either? I'm not an ATL fan, but if the guy can get his team to the playoffs, you can't fault him for that. There are plenty of players who are hyped-up and overrated...that's part of pro sports...ESPECIALLY football. He's exciting to watch and last time I checked, football was a spectator sport.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ironhorse75 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:20 pm

These arguments are never ending. In my experiences talking about Vick, you either A) like him B) dislike him. And if you walked in as an A, you walk out as an A, and if you walk in as a B, you're still a B by the time the discussion is over.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:25 pm

Ironhorse75 wrote:These arguments are never ending. In my experiences talking about Vick, you either A) like him B) dislike him. And if you walked in as an A, you walk out as an A, and if you walk in as a B, you're still a B by the time the discussion is over.

Best post in here.....
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Micheal Vick is great Talent. I enjoy watching him play. After he losses to the Bills he will fo 9-3 to finish the season. ;-D
Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
reznorsboy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ricky_Christ » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:21 pm

So....any update on the injury or what? :-D
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby victordestructo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:54 pm

Why don't critiques acknowledge his improvement and his adoptation to the NFL and the new offense implemented a year ago. He has improved as a passer

This is from Len Pasquarelli's Morning After column, regardless to what you think of Pasquarelli, this scout says it better than I can:

"Michael Vick still doesn't get it. All his apologists keep saying he's making progress as a passer. It sure doesn't look like it from in front of the television or on the video, either. Great athlete. Just an average passer, if that, at this point. He missed Michael Jenkins twice Sunday on what might have been touchdowns. And for all the plays he makes with his feet, the guy still takes way too many sacks. I know it's only two games, but he's been sacked once every eight drop-backs already. That's not improvement. That's his norm."
"He invited me into the house for a little bit. There he was with his tight little shorts, no shirt and his little red hat. He was doing some farming or something. He was covered in dirt. It was awesome."
-- JP Losman on meeting Brett Favre
victordestructo
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby schnuelle07 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:18 am

well he saw to different passes than I did, in reference to the Michael Jenkins passes he referred to

I saw Michael Jenkins allow two passes slip out of his hands, they were thrown at his hands, and dropped.

For some reason, everything that goes wrong with the falcons is somehow his fault. If it were another QB they would be saying how badly his WR's are and how poorly the offensive line pass-blocks. However, there is a group of people that just don't want to acknowledge that Michael Vick works. His way of handling things is effective when everyone around him does his job.

Now of course you can say the opposite about another group of people, a group which I am a part. We believe that everything good that happens to the falcons is somehow related to Vick, and the bad happenings can be blamed (imo, justifiably) on someone else
Thanks to da1chipo for the sig
schnuelle07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby schnuelle07 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:23 am

This is all the info I have on the injury.

Jim Mora wrote: My gut feeling is that (Vick) is going to be OK. That's my gut feeling, and it is based on nothing.

I dont really know what that means exactly. Its just a hammy, I think he'll start next week.
Thanks to da1chipo for the sig
schnuelle07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Heimholder » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:44 am

Vick is overrated? Not anymore. This season in my competitive $ league I grabbed Vick as my backup to Tom Brady in the 10th Round. That's value right there. Yeah he's a risk, and yeah he hasn't truly proven himself, and yeah he's overhyped, but never say never. Don't tell me you wouldn't snag him as a late round backup, even a #3 QB. Because if he DOES finally bust out, you've got gold buried on your bench to trade to some sucka. I'd rather have a sleeper like that then a coin flip like say Joey Harrington.

- Coach Holder
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk