Curtis Martin or Priest Holmes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Curtis Martin or Priest Holmes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Curtis Martin or Priest Holmes

Postby Louied23 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:51 pm

I play in a 12 team league in which we keep 1 player each year. I won the super bowl last year which makes me pick 12th in each of the first 3 rounds. I have the toughest decision to make in the 5 years of playing fantasy football. Who to keep between Curtis Martin and Priest Holmes. Everyday I change my mind, First Curtis, then Priest, etc.
I don't like it that Priest doesn't get any goalline carrys and only had one good year. But what a year it was!!! And can he get better?
I don't like it that Curtis doesn't play much on 3rd downs and all your hearing about is how good Lamont Jordan is. But he is good for 1300 yards and 8 TDs every year.

Please help me with my decison and give me some reasons why. I don't want to regret my decison for years to come.
Louied23

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Ned » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:19 pm

First of all, if you regret anything you do in a fantasy football game for longer than the season your in, perhaps you need to investigate some different priorites ;-)

This question has come up two or three times in this forum already and they really seem to be equal in value, the question really is: risk or caution. The risky play is to take Holmes, the safe play is to take Martin.

So in keeping with the spirit of my very first remark I would say take Holmes just for the sake of having some fun with your team this season because whether he flies or crashes and burns he'll be a much more exciting player to have than Martin.
Ned
Water Boy
Water Boy

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby n_tremain23 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:21 pm

I'm going to have to agree and say pick Priest Holmes,NOT CURTIS MARTIN!Holmes chances of repeating last season are raised by an improved WR corps,and an offseason that Trent Green finally got the offense down.Last year Holmes did not go into the first game with grasp of the starting job,this year he's the one and only candidate.The only knock on Holmes is that he doesn't score that much.That's the one,and only,problem that I have on Holmes.
n_tremain23

Postby Q- Tip » Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:19 pm

Ok, here's the deal I would go with Holmes as well. I live in New York and listen to sports radio most of the day. Most of my friends are J-e-t-s JJJ fans. The word out of here is that they will have a split backfield this year some of the time. They know that LaMont is a good runner and they want to use him in order not to keep wearing down Curtis. Curtis is a workhorse but how much can he take. Personally, I have 1.10 and 2.01 picks, and not drafting Curtis.
Hope it helps you.
Q- Tip

Postby Q- Tip » Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:33 pm

A quote from a good source:

"Curtis Martin has looked good this preseason. But backup LaMont Jordan has also looked strong --especailly around the goal line. The second-year runner scored a pair of 3rd-quarter TDs last night, giving him 3 TDs in two games. We warned about him stealing goal line chances from Martin, and this may be a preview of the regular season."
Q- Tip

Return to Football Talk