And the Viking WR with the most impact for week 3 is........ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

And the Viking WR with the most impact for week 3 is........

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:00 am

34=Sweetness wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
RubeRiot wrote:News in MN is the T.Williamson will extended time this week in 3 receiver sets, because of the injury to Burleson. Koren Robinson should also be available, but may only see action on special teams.

Culpepper needs Troy Williamson to step up desperately. He needs the defense to respect the deep threat. If that happens Cpepp would look much better.

Its not gonna happen though - Williamson is a bust. }:-)

Almost as bad a bust as Joey Harrington :-D }:-)

Honestly - I think Joey and Cpepp are going through a similar situation this yr as both are seeing defensive schemes that they havent seen in the past.

I would be extremely suprised to see Joey wearing honolulu blue this next yr. He is in line for simply too much money. He is a better QB than 95% of NFL fans give him credit for, but his learning curve was obviously stunted as he still makes mistakes that a 4th yr starter shouldnt make. Unless Joey really steps it up this yr AND restructures his contract, I just dont see how he will be a Lion next yr.

But MIN is in a situation where they need Moss back to solve their problems. I seriously question Cpepps ability to adapt to his new offense, so unless they get a fast WR that can take 2-3 secondary deep on every play, then Cpepp will continue to stuggle. I can see why they drafted Williamson - it was a desperation move to replace Moss. Next season MIN will have a new head coach, but until they solve the deep threat riddle, I cant see how this offense will get much better - Cpepp will continue to struggle with timing and accuracy while reading more exotic defensive schemes.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnrambo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:45 am

wiggins will be the best receiving options week 3 you watch.
" Who can make a play? T.O. can make a play." T.Owens
johnrambo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby armymedic » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:53 am

The leading receiver's for C-Pepp this weekend will be the New Orleans Defense.

My how the mighty have fallen.
armymedic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby matmat » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:16 pm

armymedic wrote:The leading receiver's for C-Pepp this weekend will be the New Orleans Defense.

My how the mighty have fallen.

*chortle*
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RubeRiot » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:41 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Culpepper needs Troy Williamson to step up desperately. He needs the defense to respect the deep threat. If that happens Cpepp would look much better.

I was at the Vikings Draft Party this year, as I have been every year since it started (yes, I'm that big of a Rube)...and you should have heard the crowd BOO when they picked Williamson...and then tice came out and tried to convince everyone that it was a great pick. Unbelieveable!
RubeRiot
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:32 pm

RubeRiot wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Culpepper needs Troy Williamson to step up desperately. He needs the defense to respect the deep threat. If that happens Cpepp would look much better.

I was at the Vikings Draft Party this year, as I have been every year since it started (yes, I'm that big of a Rube)...and you should have heard the crowd BOO when they picked Williamson...and then tice came out and tried to convince everyone that it was a great pick. Unbelieveable!

:-)

I watched the draft on ESPN. When they panned across the MIN faithful immediately after announcing Troy Williamson was their pick, it was one of the funniest things I saw on television this yr. Every single fan there was ready to explode but instead it was as if the entire crowd let out one great, big, slack-jawed "WHO!?!?"

Funny stuff - and if anyone has a clip of it, I would love a copy. That was a classic draft moment. :-b

By the way - have you heard any honest updates on how Williamson is progressing? All we heard this past summer was that he looked terrible - dropping wide open passes with regularity. Then he had a good practice where he almost had a circus catch but couldnt quite bring it in - it had a bunch of Vikings all a tizzy over what ended up being another dropped pass (I thought that was pretty funny too). Anyway - I havent heard anything about how he has progressed since the season started - just that they may use him more often in 3-wide sets.

As for Big Mike Williams - he catches everything thrown near him. Thats about it for the positives. Marriucci has decided to stunt his natural growth even more by making him learn all 3 WR positions instead of having him learn 1 so he can get involved in games. He came to camp slightly overweight and out of shape. But I still turn to the positive: he catches anything near him - unbelieveable possession WR and redzone threat for years to come, but its gonna take him some time to get to where he can be used regularly.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GameDay_Zombies » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:34 pm

Koren Robinson. I am thinking they will try anything different.
GameDay_Zombies
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby TheRock » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:39 pm

Tice weighs in: (from Rotoworld)

Asked who Minnesota's No. 1 receiver is Wednesday, coach Mike Tice answered Travis Taylor.
''Well I think Travis (Taylor) is the most consistent receiver we have right now,'' Tice said. The coach mentioned Taylor isn't a great deep threat, but we think he's a decent bet to get 5-7 catches against the Saints.
TheRock
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Tiki » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:45 pm

Still thinks it gunna be Koren, just cause you're the #1 doesn't mean you'll have the better game. I think this will hurt Taylor more than it wil help.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:23 pm

latest from the minneapolis local scene where the consensus seems to be a combination of taylor and wiggins (except for jermaine wiggins who seems to think that, with all eleven defenders dropping back to cover him, the one player daunte should throw to is... jermaine wiggins).

and significantly, williamson not even mentioned in the article except as handling kickoff duties.

Burleson injured the knee in the second half of last weekend's 37-8 loss at Cincinnati, and he might be forced to sit out until after the Oct. 9 bye. Without his presence, the Vikings are left with two experienced receivers -- Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson -- and their tight end combination of Jermaine Wiggins and Jim Kleinsasser. Newcomer Koren Robinson will take Burleson's spot on the active roster, and Robinson could figure in some three-receiver sets and share kickoff return duties with rookie Troy Williamson.

Much of the receiving responsibility, however, will fall to Taylor and Wiggins. They have combined to catch 17 of Culpepper's 43 completions, and both seem to have developed a clear rapport with the quarterback.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5632341.html
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk