Drew Bennett? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drew Bennett?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:53 pm

all i'm saying is that those games at the end of the season inflated bennett's value. and everybody just assumes that when a guy becomes the #1 receiver he's going to have more yards and tds. that added to the inflation. i'll give him his cake games...i don't even know what his numbers are this year. i just didn't rate him as highly as most going in to the draft, simply because i did not believe that his "explosive" games at the end of last season (and that's why everyone remembers them) should dictate this year's fantasy value.

i'm having trouble coming up with any #2 wrs that successfully made the jump to #1 after a trade or changing teams. obviously TO after Rice....but beyond that I'm not really coming up with any. Peerless Price comes to mind as a dud.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:37 am

What you got these past two weeks from Bennett are what you should expect for the rest of the year.

9 different Titan's players caught passes in week 2, including:

4 WRs
3 RBs
2 TEs

No single player caught more than 3 passes... and the FULLBACK caught the lone TD pass. Guess how many passes Bennett caught: THREE. How many passes did he catch in week 1? THREE.

---

The Titan's 2005 offense isn't even close to the same type of system that Bennett thrived in last year. Down the field OC Heimerdinger is gone, reliable 90 catch WR Derrick Mason is gone.. insert the WCO, Norm Chow, and the bulk of the secondary coverage for Bennett.

McNair will rarely get the chance to throw the ball down the field in this offense. Short and intermediate throws to RBs and TEs and precision timing routes to the WRs are much preferred. That's the optimal offense you run when you need to protect your defense (7 new starters) and keep them fresh. Convert the 4, 6, 8 yard passes and keep the chains moving.

Bennett had a few big games last year, but they were mostly due to the system. You know how he got those stats? Running double moves down the field - deep routes, and Volek hucks the ball up like a neighborhood street ball game. Norm Chow's offense doesn't allow time for a 7 step drop back and a throw 40 yards down the field.. It's all about tempo and timing and moving the chains.

In this offense you want to own the TE in fantasy, not the WR IMO.
---

Check out the lone scoring drive versus the Pittsburgh Steeler's in week 1. This is the type of drives you will see a lot of this year from Tennessee IMO.

1-10-TEN39 (14:53) C.Brown up the middle to TEN 46 for 7 yards (C.Hope).
2-3-TEN46 (14:15) C.Brown up the middle to PIT 43 for 11 yards (J.Porter; C.Hope).
1-10-PIT43 (13:33) C.Brown up the middle to PIT 40 for 3 yards (K.Von Oelhoffen; J.Farrior).
2-7-PIT40 (12:49) S.McNair pass incomplete to T.Fleming. Coverage by #55 Porter, pressure by #67 von Oelhoffen
3-7-PIT40 (12:43) S.McNair pass to B.Jones to PIT 30 for 10 yards (I.Taylor).
1-10-PIT30 (12:04) T.Henry right end to PIT 30 for no gain (I.Taylor).
2-10-PIT30 (11:19) S.McNair pass to B.Troupe to PIT 16 for 14 yards (D.Townsend; C.Hope).
1-10-PIT16 (10:36) C.Brown left guard to PIT 13 for 3 yards (J.Farrior; A.Smith).
2-7-PIT13 (9:10) S.McNair pass to E.Kinney to PIT 1 for 12 yards (J.Farrior, J.Porter).
1-1-PIT1 (9:01) C.Brown right guard to PIT 1 for no gain (I.Taylor, A.Smith).
2-1-PIT1 (8:28) #78 Williams eligible receiver S.McNair pass to B.Troupe for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

Ball was thrown to a WR one time, on a third down play. In the same time frame you saw passes to multiple TEs, the fullback and running plays to two different RBs. That is the Titan's offense.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby FantasyBeast » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:22 pm

The Titan's 2005 offense isn't even close to the same type of system that Bennett thrived in last year. Down the field OC Heimerdinger is gone, reliable 90 catch WR Derrick Mason is gone.. insert the WCO, Norm Chow, and the bulk of the secondary coverage for Bennett.

If I am not mistaken,Bennett has had 30 yard+ catches in each of his first 2 games. In addition,Bennett has had I believe 15 targets which equates to around 4 catches a game. If he were to continue throwing in one 30 yarder a game in addition to normal WR numbers for the remaining 3 catches,it would likely be around 80 yds which isnt bad.

Did the USC offense not have an explosiveness to it with Chow? I do recall MW and Jarrett making huge plays on a regular basis. I think we will see a better representation of Bennetts ability in the upcoming weeks. Against Pitts he had 2 drops which would have put him around 100 yds if he snagged them.
FantasyBeast
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:25 pm

FantasyBeast wrote:

If I am not mistaken,Bennett has had 30 yard+ catches in each of his first 2 games. In addition,Bennett has had I believe 15 targets which equates to around 4 catches a game. If he were to continue throwing in one 30 yarder a game in addition to normal WR numbers for the remaining 3 catches,it would likely be around 80 yds which isnt bad.

Did the USC offense not have an explosiveness to it with Chow? I do recall MW and Jarrett making huge plays on a regular basis. I think we will see a better representation of Bennetts ability in the upcoming weeks. Against Pitts he had 2 drops which would have put him around 100 yds if he snagged them.

Those 30+ yard catches turned his 2/20 stinkers into respectable 3/50, 3/70 type games. Besides if you argument relies on Bennett DROPPING passes as a reason why he is going to be more productive in the coming weeks? Not very convincing to me.

I'm not big on WRs that need to convert a big catch to be a reliable player in the first place... Especially in an offense that doesn't attempt to convert many big plays.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk