The best Jones in football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The best Jones in football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:17 am

BigMusky wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:The same thing happened to Thomas Jones at the beginning of last year. He was out like a house of fire, and then something happened. I can't remember what it was for sure. Did A-Train come back and eat into his carries?

Well, if that were the case, Benson could easily do the same thing this year. If the Bears are smart, they won't mess with success and leave Jones in there until he stops producing. Their division is pretty weak, and he should have a bunch of good games.

nope....Rex Grossman got hurt and people started stacking the box. If Orton can be efficient to keep people from doing that, the bears will run. My concern is that Benson got almost the same # of carries as Jones in that game. Will have to see how the carries are split up this week...I suspect that it will be a RBBC and who ever is rolling any particular week will get the majority of carries.

September 20, 2005 11:41 AM ET
Bears: Lovie has no problem with shared backfield
The News

Bears head coach Lovie Smith appears to be in no rush to identify which of his two running backs, starter Thomas Jones or prized rookie Cedric Benson, will be his primary guy down the road. "I don't see that as a problem at all," he told the Chicago Tribune. "I really like what we have. It's a long season. They way we pounded the ball, you may need three good running backs."
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Thomas Jones has had 2 good week, without a doubt in my mind Julius is still better ;-D
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby FatFoot » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:43 pm

Jones really only had 1 good week. But if his offensive line is that much better, then he will be that much better of an RB this year. All of the starters around the league could be monsters, with the help of solid lines. Without them, they all look like turds. You would never pick Jones or Caddy to be having a better year than Jamal, for example.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Re: The best Jones in football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:11 am

Steve-o wrote:Right now it has to be Thomas Jones.

85 ypg, 4.9 per carry, 3 TDs. 2 rec per game, about 16.5 yards.

Those aren't great numbers, but they certainly are better then the other Jones'.

Keving Jones: 54.5 ypg, 3.3 pc, 0 td. 1.5 rec, 7 ypg.
Julius Jones: 87 ypg, 3.6 pc, 1 td. 3.5 rec, 10.5 ypg.
Matt Jones: 3 recptions, 35 rushing yards, and 6 passing yards. 0 tds.

So the question becomes, how long can Thomas Jones keep this up? When does he give up his job, if ever, to Cedric Benson?

He has always been one fo those dual threat, receiving and running, guys so he is more likely to stay in on third downs. He averaged over 4.0 yards a carry last year with the bears and the year before that with the bucs. The bears play in a weak (both defensively and offensively) division, so he will get more opportunities. All of these factors seem to indicate he might be the sleeper pick of the draft.

Or is it just too early to tell?

Nope, the Thomas Jones hype is right on time. All aboard the Turd Jones train!
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:59 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:I'm a homer what about Walter.

Best OT in the game.

Damn you.... Beat me to it....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Walter Jones, then Julius.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:08 am

Brent, TE, 49'ers. Stellar career.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk