S.Heiden - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

S.Heiden

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby manzan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:19 pm

For what it's worth, I just read this on the matter (from Fanball.com's NFL Stock Watch article) Not saying he's going to become the next Gates or anything, but he definitely could be a servicable TE. Time will tell...

TE: Steve Heiden, Browns - Obviously, this seems reactionary after Heiden scored twice against the Packers. But the fact of the matter is, Browns quarterback Trent Dilfer absolutely loves Heiden. He hooked up with him in the preseason, and all those yards Frisman Jackson had in Cleveland's opener came with Heiden on the sidelines with a neck stinger and the Browns using a four-wide receiver set—with Jackson essentially running the same routes Heiden ran. The Browns playbook has pages upon pages for the tight end—all designed with Kellen Winslow in mind. Heiden won't make anyone forget the Chosen One, but he's scored six touchdowns in his last eight games and certainly warrants a blip on your fantasy radar.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.4620
manzan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:06 pm

Nice find, manzan. Thanks! ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Halcyon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:46 pm

Don't meet to be a downer, but the one long TD he had last week came because a safety slipped and fell. He was nearly caught from behind by a defensive lineman, too.

Dilfer does seem to like him, though. Just don't get too excited.
Halcyon Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:32 pm

I like Heiden, but I don't think he will sustain this type of success much longer.

Shea (the "starting" TE) didn't play in week 1 or week 2 and Heiden was able to capitalize. Cleveland heavily utilized their TEs last season, something like 9 TDs, but the production was split right down the middle between Shea and Heiden. This situation would have been the perfect sleeper opporunity if either player got cut, IRed, etc. but Shea is only out in the short term. So I think Heiden is only a viable option in the short term as well.

Play him as long as Shea remains out and I think you'll get top10, maybe even top5 TE numbers every week. But once he gets back, this guy falls into Chris Baker territory. Big game once in a blue moon.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:47 pm

Yeah, I remember reading something in the offseason about how CLE used their TE more than SD, or KC or someone who I always thought used their TE a lot. Def more than ATL, or DAL. The point was that they had two TEs last year (shea and heiden) and each had like 5 tds and 500 yards. The other point was that Winslow will be a stud as the other two will disappear when he shows up (or doesn't as the case stands now). Anyways moot point. If one of those TEs goes down for a while, I would grab the remaining one.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk