OH MOE! Onterrio Smith owners must read!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

OH MOE! Onterrio Smith owners must read!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

OH MOE! Onterrio Smith owners must read!!!

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:13 pm

AP (ESPN)

RB Moe Williams will get the bulk of the carries when Minnesota plays Green Bay on Sunday. ``He can handle the load if called upon,'' running backs coach Dean Dalton said. ``That's the beauty of Moe. It's not just his physical toughness, but his mental toughness and his understanding of our system inside and out. He makes great adjustments during the course of a play.

Article.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bryan1327 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:43 pm

But I did find some relief for Smith owners also..in this CBS sportsline blip...

Onterrio Smith, RB MIN

News: Moe Williams will start in Week 1, but the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Smith might see a number of carries against Green Bay. Coach Mike Tice could let Smith stay in the game if he looks comfortbale. "It will be by feel," said Tice. "I have no idea how many carries he'll get. It could be 10, 12 or one. We'll see."

Analysis: Tice said he likely will use several running backs for a few weeks, but Smith still has a chance to be the featured back as the season progresses.

Makes me feel a lil' bit better!!!
bryan1327
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby awwchrist » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:49 pm

The problem is how many games will Tice "burn" through till he gets a feel for a RB to take most of the carries?

And what if that never happens?

Mike Bennett isn't out for the year ya know.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

re:

Postby Scania22 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:24 pm

The bottom line is - if you have Onterrio on your roster - pull for the GB defense to shut Moe down.
Scania22

Friendliness: %

Postby Homeless » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:10 pm

"Oh Moe" LOL I like that.

Look for O Smith to be eased into the starting role.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Go Jackets » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:00 am

How about "Go Moe!"

I have Moe, and I think that if he proves himself worthy to carry the load, he'll get the bulk of the carrise for the season. Don't forget how good he looked at times last year, especially when Bennet was down.
Go Jackets
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:48 am

Minnesota has such a crowded backfield, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of them.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:47 am

I think the only real fantasy worthy RB on that team has to be O. Smith, and thats a long term investment and a long shot.

The term "Fantasy Worthy RB" is defined by me as an every down RB, a centerpiece of the offense, and not in a RBBC.

The fact that neither of the 2 MIN RBs fit that description means neither is worthy of starting right now.

The reason I say O. Smith is because of his upside - not immidiate, but 5-6 games into the season IF he wrestles control of that position.

Cpepp will continue to steal goalline carries from both.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Go Jackets » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:03 pm

One more thought to cloud things up -

Doug Chapman is actually #1 on the depth chart last time I looked.
Go Jackets
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby tomkatt » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:52 pm

I see a situation happening much like Clinton Portis in 2002. The Vikings will ease Onterrio in until he is completely comfortable with the blitz pick-ups etc. There was too much talk in the pre-season about him being the steal of the draft to not start over Chapman and Williams. It's WHEN not if. The more interesting development will be what happens when (if) Michael Bennett comes back this year.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk