Benson takes credit for Jones success. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Benson takes credit for Jones success.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:44 pm

FatFoot wrote:
How long you've been posting at this forum is pretty meaningless.

Sorry...I had to read your post a couple times before I realized I didn't get your comment....in fact, I still don't get it.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benm3218 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:07 pm

I don't think it's to much to ask for Benson to do something on his own before talking that kind of talk.

So, far he isn't able to press Jones for his job. He has not learned the blitz packages, and hasn't done anything that impressive. I have no problem with a rookie like Caddy that IS performing talking big, but when you have done jack crap, shut up till you do something.

That's my two cents.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:26 pm

my .02 -

What do you expect in this day and age? A humble 1st rd draft pick or one that isnt cocky? These guys have been told they are the greatest by anyone close to them for at least 5 yrs prior to them entering the NFL. What do you expect? Manners? Respect? Dignity? Class?

He is who he is. It may have been a 100% correct statement - but that really isnt the point.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:30 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:my .02 -

What do you expect in this day and age? A humble 1st rd draft pick or one that isnt cocky? These guys have been told they are the greatest by anyone close to them for at least 5 yrs prior to them entering the NFL. What do you expect? Manners? Respect? Dignity? Class?

He is who he is. It may have been a 100% correct statement - but that really isnt the point.

Aaaaaah...the NFL...gotta love it!
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:00 pm

footballchick23 wrote:
FatFoot wrote:"What a tool. This clown..."
"What a jerk"
"keep that twerp on the sidelines"
"Screw this chump."

All for saying that the presence of a 4th overall draft pick puts pressure on the current starting RB? Sorry, Benson's right. Cocky, whatever. But he's right.

How long you've been posting at this forum is pretty meaningless.

Apparently not meaningless enough for you to post a response!

This thread should be more aptly titled "T. Jones owners vs. Benson owners".

Nah, I don't have either. I'm a Bear fan first, and I just want a team to root for. Everything this punk has done ever since he suckered everyone with his "tender side" at the draft, has gone to prove he is not a team player, and I'd rather not have that on my team.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby sleepers3 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:51 pm

The Bears should stick with Jones.He will do great.last year wasn't his fault-He had no qB or any help from anyone on the offense.Screw Benson-the fact of the matter is he has not proven himself one bit other then he hasa big mouth.The NFL isn't college football.
Dominick Davis 1500 yards you watch!!!!
sleepers3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby footballchick23 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:52 am

Per Yahoo/kffl.com:

"John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears RBs Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson are rivals on the field and not best of friends off the field. Benson said after the team's Week 2 victory that his presence was helping to motivate Jones. "I'm motivating him. I think my game and my presence (are) motivating him," said Benson. Jones flashed irritation Thursday, Sept. 22, at his understudy's view of their relationship while also indicating his future may lie elsewhere. "Cedric Benson has nothing to do with my game whatsoever," Jones said. "I've been in the NFL. This is my sixth year. I've been running the ball ever since I've been playing football, before I knew Cedric Benson. And I'll continue to run the ball, whether I'm here or somewhere else." Benson can understand Jones' feeling. He described their relationship as "kind of quietly professional."

Should make for an interesting season.....
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:13 am

This is much ado about nothing. Yeah, Benson would have done better to stay quiet but I'm glad he is pushing Jones. Maybe Jones needs pushed a bit, he was kind of in a funk part of last year and I don't agree it was all due to the QB and other team problems. Frankly the lack of competition at the QB spot was a major problem the past couple of years so I'm glad to see the competition at the RB position.

For the record I don't have TJones or Benson on my fantasy teams.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:30 am

yah. article in today's chicago tribune (referenced above). they aren't feeling each other's love.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... rtsnew-hed

Shoulders cold in Bears' backfield
Jones, Benson are rivals, not friends

By John Mullin
Tribune staff reporter
Published September 22, 2005, 10:53 PM CDT

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson have said the right things about each other and their current positions as the Bears' starter and backup at running back.

But as for them being close friends in a delicate situation? Well, that's not likely.

Jones ran for 139 yards in last Sunday's victory over Detroit, the second highest total of his two Chicago seasons. Benson got 49 yards on 16 carries (to Jones' 20) and said afterward, "I'm motivating him. I think my game and my presence [are] motivating him."

Jones flashed irritation Thursday at his understudy's view of their relationship and gave his first hint of understanding that, given the Bears' investment in Benson, his future may lie elsewhere.

"Cedric Benson has nothing to do with my game whatsoever," Jones said. "I've been in the NFL. This is my sixth year. I've been running the ball ever since I've been playing football, before I knew Cedric Benson. And I'll continue to run the ball, whether I'm here or somewhere else."

Jones said he doesn't need Benson's motivation.

"I motivate myself. I have high expectations for myself when I come out on the field to play hard for my teammates and do my job. I get paid good money to come out and run the ball and make plays. That's what I try to do."

Benson can understand Jones' feeling. He described their relationship as "kind of quietly professional."

"There really hasn't been too much talk, too much going over this or that, which is understandable," he said. "I didn't expect him to be my best buddy or anything like that. I knew what it would be like coming in and it's OK."

Jones, in fact, may be motivating Benson. Jones has played too well for the rookie to take the job the Bears anticipate him having. In the process he has made Benson's transition to the NFL a little more difficult. Benson, a four-year starter at Texas, is used to playing, not sitting and watching.

Benson was expected to win the starting tailback job before his extended contract impasse caused him to miss the entire preseason. In the meantime, Jones' play has relegated Benson to a reserve role.

"That is a bit of a challenge and it's something I've had to adjust to," Benson said. "It's interesting. Every challenge that football poses can only make me better. I just take it in stride and adjust to it."

Then he laughed. "But I don't want to get used to it."

History says he might not have to. Jones has started nine straight games, the last seven of 2004 and two this season. It is the longest run of consecutive starts in his career. He missed two games with a sprained foot last season and has played in all 16 games in just two of his first five NFL seasons.

Benson has averaged 3.1 yards per carry to Jones' 4.9, which ranks fourth in the NFL for backs with more than 30 carries. Coach Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Ron Turner have stressed the Bears will need both running backs this season. Both will play against Cincinnati.

"We're getting [Benson] ready to play this weekend," Turner said. "How much, I don't know yet."

The more the better for Benson, who averaged nearly 23 carries through 49 college games.

"I don't really know what to expect or have expectations," Benson said. "I just know I'm going to be ready as if I were starting. I prepare myself for that. Whatever the coaches see as best for the team and for me to fit in, I'll make it happen.

"It's different, but I'm rolling with the punches. All I have control over is me and what I can do and being ready each week. You just have to keep that adrenaline rolling on the sidelines."
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk