Droughns=nice sleeper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Droughns=nice sleeper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Droughns=nice sleeper

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:54 pm

For all you guys who missed the boat on Thomas Jones and/or Willie Parker, Reuben Droughns may turn out to be a nice sleeper after all.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports with Cleveland Browns RB Reuben Droughns currently entrenched as the starting tailback in Cleveland, the Browns might try to trade one of their other backs, William Green or Lee Suggs, before the trade deadline, according to some talk "in the press box." A lot of teams would love to get Suggs, but he can't stay healthy, and that's a concern.

The Browns appear to be somewhat impressed with Droughns, and they think he could be their #1 back. I wouldn't start trading for him or anything, because he does still play for Cleveland, but he's a guy that is going to get the goalline carries no matter what, and that's always a plus. If you have an open roster spot and this guy is somehow available, give him a shot.

Also, if he's on your roster and you're in a bind this week, he makes a decent start against the Pack.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Droughns=nice sleeper

Postby The_Commish » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:01 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Also, if he's on your roster and you're in a bind this week, he makes a decent start against the Pack.

That's if they were playing the Pack this week!! :-b

I believe they play the Colts. I don't like Droughns and don't like him in this matchup -- Browns will be playing from behind all game.

He would of been a decent option last week vs. the Pack I suppose. But I can't remember him doing much in that game either. I think Suggs has this job in the next month.

Probably a RB situation you will only want for a bye week replacement.
The_Commish
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Droughns=nice sleeper

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:07 pm

The_Commish wrote:That's if they were playing the Pack this week!! :-b

Good point, I was looking back at last week's game. This matchup versus the Colts is a little worse, but Indy is still giving up more than 100 yards a game on the ground, so Droughns is still good for a spot start.

The main news here is that Cleveland appears to be impressed with Droughns' play and are considering trading one of the other RB's away.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:20 am

I can't imagine they'd be sticking with a guy who was completely ineffective against one of the NFL's worst defenses (Green Bay). Droughns got a whopping 2.5 ypc, 50 yards on 20 carries. That can't possibly do anything other than open the door for Green or Suggs to take over the featured role.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 am

I would be surpised that they would look at trading Suggs, but from the Browns brass standpoint, he probably is more marketable than Green who is not exactly the posterboy for good behavior.

I still question if Suggs was healthy, would he be on the block and starting. Hard to say due to the ankle.

This could come back to get them. They would be possibly be sacrificing depth at a position they already have an injury at.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:37 am

maddog60 wrote:I can't imagine they'd be sticking with a guy who was completely ineffective against one of the NFL's worst defenses (Green Bay). Droughns got a whopping 2.5 ypc, 50 yards on 20 carries. That can't possibly do anything other than open the door for Green or Suggs to take over the featured role.

this is a huge misconception. Green Bay has one of the worst, if not the worst secondarys in the NFL. Their pass defense is horrendous and they get no pressure on the qb. Their run defense is fairly good however. People made this mistake in the first half of last year with SD, who was always a bad defense. Last year their run defense was superb. GB's is not superb but they have strong run blocking DTs, and LBs and Al harris can tackle as well. Currently they are 7th in the league after 2 weeks in run defense.

As for droughns, i think that if the CLE defense starts to improve, which I think it will they will be able to run it more. Droughns had a great game in week 1 with 12 carries for like 70 yards and another 30 receiving.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:42 pm

Once again, Droughns is looking more and more like the featured back. He had 25 touches for 108 total yards as the Cleveland D looked stout against the Indy O.

If this guy is still available in your league, grab him.

VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:24 am

Where do you think a guy like Suggs would be traded? Somewhere like SF?
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby V-unit » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:40 am

Droughns is definently a nice sleeper now that he may be the featured back in cleveland.I wouldnt mind having him for trade bait.
Starting Linup for 2007
QB:M.Schaub*,J.Cambell,J.Dellhomme(IR)
RB:L.Tomlinson*,Rudi Johnson*,E.Grahm,C.WIlliams(IR)
WR:S.Smith*,Roy Williams*,G.Jennings,N.Burleson
WR/TE:A.Gates*,D.Clark
K:S.M.Grokaswkie NE K*,S.Grahm
D:SD*,Tennesee
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:22 am

Unless you're in an 8-team league I see no way that Droughns is on the WW or FA list at this point... Only league I'm in where he was available post-draft was my $$ salary league where he had a top 30 salary due to his strong season last year and the draft was early enough that Suggs was still expected to be the starter...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk