Could Housh be the next Reggie Wayne ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could Housh be the next Reggie Wayne ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could Housh be the next Reggie Wayne ?

Postby Cinderboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 pm

A thought occurred to me the other day as I was trying to figure a way to strengthen my ailing WR's and saw TJ Housh as a FA ... The Bengles are playing much better of late, and with the emergence of Carson Palmer as a possible top qb, they may have stumbled into (quite by accident I imagine) the trifecta of top qb, rb, and wr much like the colts of the past few years, and the Cowboys of the 90's. As the Palmer to CJ connection develops, could Housh be the beneficiary of CJ's double teams much the same way Reggie Wayne and Alvin Harper (I think it was him) benefitted from the emphasis put on stopping Harrison and Irvin. He is in his 5th year I believe, and showed promise 2 years ago, then missed last season with an injury. I'm not putting the Bungles up there with the 'Boys and Colts just yet, but it seems like Housh could benefit from being in a similar, albeit lesser, situation. Just wishful thinking? I haven't seen him play this year, any Cincy fans believers?

(edited for spelling)
Cinderboy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:42 pm

housh didn't miss last season with injury. warrick did. and it was housh's numbers last year that reportedly made warrick expendable (and housh signed to a fat, new contract).

numbers from last year per bengals.com:

7 - ranking of housh's season last year in bengals history for number of receptions (73).

98.8 - average yards per game over the last five games of last season.

126 - number of punt return yards in one game (team record).

4 - # of td's last year

so i'd say with housh healthy and very settled into the #2 slot... he should be owned. not free agent material, definitely.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:50 pm

peyton manning >>>>> carson palmer
reggie wayne >>> tj houshmanzedha

it's a nice thought, but i somehow doubt it. housh could put up nice numbers this year....but i don't think he'll be as valuable as wayne has been. but if you want to compare their first two games this season, i'm right there with ya! ;-D (as a wayne owner for the past 3 years.)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby GreenFish » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:56 pm

I targeted Housh in the draft as I am pretty high on him. I think he is going to have a big year. The next Wayne? no probably not but DEFINATELY worth a roster spot!
GreenFish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Cinderboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:59 pm

I'm not putting the Bungles up there with the 'Boys and Colts just yet, but it seems like Housh could benefit from being in a similar, albeit lesser, situation

Obviously Palmer is no Manning, I think Housh and Wayne may be closer in talent. I was more comparing the situation Wayne is in to the situation Housh is in. I think Wayne's numbers have been better because Marvin was on the other side. And I think Housh's numbers will get better as Palmer and Chad do their thing.

You were correct about the injury - It looks like it was '03 that he only played 2 games. Last years numbers look good - is it wrong to hope for more?
Last edited by Cinderboy on Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinderboy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby GreenFish » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Cinderboy wrote:is it wrong to hope for more?

Nope! In fact I think he will eclipse last years numbers easily! ;-D
GreenFish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby benjapage » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:42 pm

relevant usatoday article addresses your hypotheticals.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ison_x.htm

housh can be outstanding if for no other reason than his raw will to score. his approach is brazen; a gutsy muffugga with quickness and deceptive strength. he will not flash wayne's speed, but he might put up similar numbers. carson trusts him; earning a young & talented qb's trust can really pay off.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:17 am

I drafted Housh as a #4 on two of my teams, and now he's starting on one with Walker going down. I sure hope he goes Reggie Wayne on the NFL this year. :-o

If the Cinci pass attack stays like it has, he could do good things. But, with Pittsburgh and Baltimore still to be played against this year (twice each), I'm still skeptical. Hopefully he'll be good in all the rest.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Posse » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:38 am

Housh should not be a FA.
Posse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:19 am

I see him being a Mini Wayne. Maybe 1,000yds and 8TDs.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk