How stupid do people have a right to be? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How stupid do people have a right to be?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Would you want to veto the trades proposed below?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11

How stupid do people have a right to be?

Postby Matthias » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:34 pm

Bringing this over from another thread because I think it's an interesting question. Assuming no collusion, what would people say if someone in their league wanted to straight up trade their first-round pick for someone else's seventh-round pick pre-draft? (They think the number 7 is lucky and heard too much Sonny & Cher, "One is the loneliest number" or some crap). Amazingly, they find a taker on the deal. Do you, as a league member, protest?

If no, why not?

If yes, and you believe that the only justification post-draft for nixing a trade is collusion, why is this different?

Or, if you like, you could push it further... they trade their picks in the first five rounds for someone else's picks in the last five rounds. "You get better value in those rounds," they reply when asked.

There has to be a point that you protect people, and the league, from themselves. Anyone up to trying to find where that line is? Or, as the title of the thread puts it, how stupid do people have a right to be?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How stupid do people have a right to be?

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Matthias wrote:Bringing this over from another thread because I think it's an interesting question. Assuming no collusion, what would people say if someone in their league wanted to straight up trade their first-round pick for someone else's seventh-round pick pre-draft? (They think the number 7 is lucky and heard too much Sonny & Cher, "One is the loneliest number" or some crap). Amazingly, they find a taker on the deal. Do you, as a league member, protest?

If no, why not?

If yes, and you believe that the only justification post-draft for nixing a trade is collusion, why is this different?

Or, if you like, you could push it further... they trade their picks in the first five rounds for someone else's picks in the last five rounds. "You get better value in those rounds," they reply when asked.

There has to be a point that you protect people, and the league, from themselves. Anyone up to trying to find where that line is? Or, as the title of the thread puts it, how stupid do people have a right to be?

That's three dog nite BTW, and what ultimately were the players that were traded or on the block. People have all kinds of weird schisims and just cause you don't dig one doesn't mean it's not right. Prove collusion then you have an argument.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby xboxer89 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 pm

No, only veto trades that are collusion. If you are in a league with a bunch of people that make horrable trades like this, then. Join a league with people who don't do trades like this.
xboxer89
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:45 pm

Redskins Win wrote:That's three dog nite BTW

damn you beat me to it. and i take offense to the fact that they were confused with sonny and cher. ugh :-t
as for the question...
let people be as stupid as they can be. just make sure you're protected from their stupidity. if they're not cheating then there is nothing you can do.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Matthias » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:45 pm

Redskins Win wrote:That's three dog nite BTW, and what ultimately were the players that were traded or on the block. People have all kinds of weird schisims and just cause you don't dig one doesn't mean it's not right. Prove collusion then you have an argument.

thanks for the correction. i always suck at music trivia. ;-)

and say this is all pre-draft. who knows what players are going to be taken.

and this is a hypothetical. so by the parameters of the question, no collusion to prove. just someone off their gourd.

so i'm taking that as one vote for not raising a fuss if someone trades their picks in the first five rounds for someone else's picks in the next five. anyone else?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:47 pm

Try this: Vetos

I posted a couple of quotes I have seen around the forums in this thread and agree with them.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:56 pm

matthias - Im pretty sure the majority of people here live by the veto collusion only rule.

If trades like this are happening in your leagues you can do lots of things - like cry about it, try and get one of the owners to change his mind by offering a better deal, or just talking to that person. You dont have any right to veto it however. You cannot legislate intelligence.

However - you can screen for intelligence. Thats why a lot of people here enjoy playing in leagues with others from the cafe - the competition level is pretty high and you typically dont get too many lopsided trades. Otherwise, throw down the green - the more you put down, the more you insure competition.

Friend leagues and coworker leagues where this kind of thing happens are usually not very competitive at all - at least in the intelligence of the group. Its when you get into like-minded fantasy-whore leagues where the competition is the best - as it should be. Friend leagues should stay less competitive - as the big picture in those kind of leagues is always to have fun - not necessarily to win.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:22 pm

Your problem is that with trades like you suggested, I would never believe it wasn't collusion. The far greater probability is collusion. How about a real extreme trade at the current time, lets say:

Peyton Manning for Carson Palmer. Say the Manning owner believes Manning was a bad choice, and that Palmer is the next big thing. Its a bad trade, but you can't veto it. Someone can offer justification that isn't absurd.

Any justification for trading a 1st rounder for a 7th rounder is less believable than Bonds' "I didn't know I was taking steroids" excuse.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TTTBone » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:37 pm

moonhead wrote:

damn you beat me to it. and i take offense to the fact that they were confused with sonny and cher. ugh :-t

Actually that's a Harry Nilsson song that was covered by Three Dog Night, among others.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby moonhead » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:38 pm

TTTBone wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Actually that's a Harry Nilsson song that was covered by Three Dog Night, among others.

Nilsson? that's cool, i didn't know that. My dad played "The Point" album for me when I was a kid. It was a cool album.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to Football Talk