How stupid do people have a right to be? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How stupid do people have a right to be?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Would you want to veto the trades proposed below?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11

Re: How stupid do people have a right to be?

Postby Teh Jury » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:39 pm

Matthias wrote:Bringing this over from another thread because I think it's an interesting question. Assuming no collusion, what would people say if someone in their league wanted to straight up trade their first-round pick for someone else's seventh-round pick pre-draft? (They think the number 7 is lucky and heard too much Sonny & Cher, "One is the loneliest number" or some crap). Amazingly, they find a taker on the deal. Do you, as a league member, protest?

If no, why not?

If yes, and you believe that the only justification post-draft for nixing a trade is collusion, why is this different?

Or, if you like, you could push it further... they trade their picks in the first five rounds for someone else's picks in the last five rounds. "You get better value in those rounds," they reply when asked.

There has to be a point that you protect people, and the league, from themselves. Anyone up to trying to find where that line is? Or, as the title of the thread puts it, how stupid do people have a right to be?

The first point I'll make is that you're not playing in a serious/competitive enough league.

Secondly, I would protest that trade. It's just ridiculous.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How stupid do people have a right to be?

Postby Matthias » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:52 pm

Teh Jury wrote:The first point I'll make is that you're not playing in a serious/competitive enough league.

Secondly, I would protest that trade. It's just ridiculous.

not a real trade. just people here always say, "no veto except in cases of collusion." trying to find out how far that extends.

and i think that's only the second vote that would be against the trade in this thread (and the first one was mine). second and a half, maybe. maddog said the trade was so bad that he couldn't see how it couldn't be collusion. so that sort of counts.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Matthias,

Give it a rest. There's no need to create a whole new thread so that you can make stupid arguments...you were already doing that in the other thread.

Brutally
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:25 pm

Your commish has an obligation to make sure that the draft is reasonably fair.

Commish must NOT allow player A to do a straight up trade with player B, A's first 5 draft picks in exchange for B's last 5 draft picks. This is a totally extreme scenario.

It is, however, a judgement call if player A wants to trade his round 2 draft pick for a round 3, or something like that. There are legitimate arguments for building a stronger WR group after the first 2 rounds, if you have extra picks. It seems to me that with a few exceptions, people are looking for stud starting RBs in round 1, THE BEST WRs in late 1, early 2... THE BEST QBs in late 1, early 2. When a couple teams start drafting WRs, then the run on them begins.

In general, I dislike the idea of the league OR the commish screwing with your strategy. Collusion starts whenever it starts... pre-draft or mid season. That's what veto is about. That's the ONLY thing veto is about. If someone's making a legitimate trade of draft picks, I don't see why that's something one should screw with.

Making EXTREME cases doesn't really hold water here, unless you're demonstrating collusion. No one is stupid enough to trade his first 5 picks for 5 17th round picks, for example. Throwing "stupid" at a team because they have an idea for a strategy to try is uncalled for. You have to allow the teams autonomy, as long as they're obviously not cheating.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:41 pm

Draft position is irrelevant after the season has started.

Besider, If you're so concerned over this trade, try joining a more competitive league. Some leagues have a much lower fantasy knowledge/experience level than some and are more prone to trades like you're seeing here.

If anything, you should have no problems making the playoffs in your league no matter who trades who to who.

Lower competition = Luck is less of a factor
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:36 am

If someone wanted to trade their 1st rounder for their 7th rounder in one of my money leagues I would smack them first, veto the trade as collusion second. You cannot make a valid argument for this to not be collusion unless you are playing with the mentally handicapped and therefore this is a stupid poll...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk