Moore taking lion's share of practice reps this week - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Moore taking lion's share of practice reps this week

Moderator: Football Moderators

Moore taking lion's share of practice reps this week

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:32 am

Posted on Fri, Sep. 23, 2005

Moore has a grudge for Saints

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

Vikings running back Mewelde Moore enjoyed the first 100-yard rushing day of his NFL career last season at the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans.

A native of Baton Rouge, La., and a graduate of New Orleans-based Tulane University, Moore has mixed emotions as the New Orleans Saints visit the Metrodome on Sunday. He feels for the players and the people of the Gulf Coast but still is annoyed that the Saints passed on him three times in the 2004 draft.

"It's one of those things that you always put right there in your heart," Moore said, pointing to his chest.

Moore, selected in the fourth round by the Vikings, could have ample chance Sunday to show the Saints what they're missing.

If practices Wednesday and Thursday are any indication, Moore will start for the first time this season. He took the bulk of the carries during workouts on both days.

Moore said he was unsure whether he would be the featured back against the Saints. But he said: "In my mind, I'm always a starter. So I always prepare that way. Whether I do or don't (start), I'll be ready."

Vikings coach Mike Tice has been mum on his running back plans.

Tice anointed Michael Bennett as the starter during the preseason, projecting Bennett would rush for 1,600 yards in his contract year. But Tice might give Moore a shot after Bennett fumbled twice in the 37-8 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Vikings have the NFL's lowest-rated run offense. The Saints rank 23rd in the league in rushing defense.

Last season in New Orleans, Moore gained 109 yards on 15 carries and caught seven passes for 78 yards, giving him a career-high 187 total yards.

Meanwhile, the Vikings could be shopping Bennett to other teams. The Vikings had a brief conversation about Bennett with the Arizona Cardinals, a team coached by Dennis Green, who drafted the running back late in the first round of the 2001 draft. But Rod Graves, the Cardinals' vice president of football operations, told the East Valley (Ariz.) Tribune that the Vikings initiated the discussion.

Neither team, however, expects a deal.

"I can't do anything about it," Bennett said. "I can just do my job, and if it's for me to get shipped out of here, then it's out of my hands."

Injury update: Starting weak-side linebacker E.J. Henderson indicated he would not play Sunday. He has not practiced this week and remains doubtful with a high ankle sprain.

Dontarrious Thomas probably will start.

Asked how much Thomas has improved since last season, defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said: "Dramatically. He's a lot more confident, and he's playing a lot faster. He's ready to go."

Receiver Nate Burleson did not practice again. He is listed as doubtful but essentially has been ruled out against the Saints.

Middle linebacker Sam Cowart (calf) said he is set to return this week, and safety Darren Sharper (knee) said he continues to improve, although he missed the final portion of practice Thursday.

Defensive end Lance Johnstone was added to the injury report as probable with a mild right hamstring strain.

Briefly: With Nate Burleson likely out, Koren Robinson will play in a handful of packages at receiver.

• Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of stadium affairs, is arranging meetings with the finance staff of Gov. Tim Pawlenty and all four political caucuses to give them insight on how the team's stadium project with Anoka County would be funded.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:33 am

that being said, Mike Tice will still pull some chucklehead out of the crowd, slap a helmet on him, and give him 12 carries to spite.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:37 am

awwchrist wrote:that being said, Mike Tice will still pull some chucklehead out of the crowd, slap a helmet on him, and give him 12 carries to spite.

Usually I would agree, but I think the ineptness of Bennett and the poor start of the Queens will make Tice listen to everyone else in the civilized world and play Moore.

I think we're seeing the changing of the guard as Bennett's farewell tour hits full stride.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby footballchick23 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:53 am

Let's hope this finally ends the RBBC and the Vikes can at least have a running game while Dante gets more comfortable reading the new defenseive schemes!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:21 am

I'm not sure what Bennett did to get outed from the starting job. They only gave him 9 carries in 2 games...although he did fumble 2 out of his 3 carries last game. That could be it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Always a winner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:54 am

Azrael wrote:I'm not sure what Bennett did to get outed from the starting job. They only gave him 9 carries in 2 games...although he did fumble 2 out of his 3 carries last game. That could be it.

Yeah, I'm surprised Tice is giving up on Bennett so quickly. I didn't expect a switch until week 6 or so. But I'm definitely glad he is. I desperately need Moore to have a good game for me this week as a bye-week fill-in.
Always a winner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:25 pm

I guess I'm the only one that noticed that he's ticked because the Saints passed on him. I know that Deuce McAllister sucks and all, and that Stecker isn't a capable fill in, so I guess I could see his point. He should have been able to walk in and be the man the first day with that pathetic roster. When will people ever learn! ;-7
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:55 pm

So, who has the balls to play Moore this week?

I'm sticking him in to cover Kevin Jones on bye this week.... Anyone else thinking of playing him?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonoilers » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:02 pm

Whoa!!! Ballsy move Plindsey.
houstonoilers
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby logan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:06 pm

im contemplating it as well for a DD fill in. hes gotta be better than my other options in shipp or jacobs. (course he may get the seat for another week in favor of plaxico.)
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Next

Return to Football Talk