Cincy locals - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cincy locals

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cincy locals

Postby Gnu314 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:17 pm

I'm just curious, whats the atmosphere like? This time last year people wanted to hang Carson Palmer, hows it different now?
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cincy locals

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:41 pm

Gnu314 wrote:I'm just curious, whats the atmosphere like? This time last year people wanted to hang Carson Palmer, hows it different now?

Ummm.... maybe its the fact that they are WINNING!! Its amazing how ppl come around when you start to produce. ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Well obviously, but I'm curious what its like. I figure the environment in the city has got to be a lot different now.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kilroy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:36 am

A Little 3rd Hand Info:

I'm a Browns Fan from Columbus living in AZ. My Brother the Bungles Fan (who still lives in C-Bus) is happier than a pig in you-know-what.

Worst part. I can't blame him. From what I've seen (and with DirecTV I get to see quite a bit) the Bengals are solid. Palmer seems to be coming into his own, which makes that offense pretty scary, and the defense is good enough to not screw the pooch for the offense. I'm not sayin' they're gonna win the division, but 10 wins and a wildcard spot wouldn't surprise me at all. And they are not a Team I'd want to play in the 1st Round of the Playoffs Either.

Oh My God. I sound Like a Bengals fan. I need an intervention, Dawg Pound Style.

Help Me. !+)
Last edited by Kilroy on Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby phunkadelic » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:29 am

Only the dumb ones last year at this time were down on Carson. The rest of us knew he'd be extremely good someday. Actually, in week 1 of last year, he looked amazing. He didn't put up great numbers, but he played with such confidence and poise that all the talk that week was extremely positive. He just had a few bad games after that.

The biggest problem was we had probably about 8 or 9 guys on IR by this point last season. I believe it was week 2 or 3 when our highly-hyped MLB, Nate Webster, went down for the count (He's still out by the way, PUP I believe). Most people were down because of the injuries. We knew we'd have a possible play-off team (just barely though) if we didn't have all the injuries. But we always knew that we couldn't win with what we had left.

This year is pretty electric, but there is surprisingly a ton of detracters yet. "It was just the Browns..... Minnesota handed us the win..." are things you hear more than you'd think.

But in a few weeks, this city will be going nuts, I'm sure.
phunkadelic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:05 am

phunkadelic wrote:Only the dumb ones last year at this time were down on Carson. The rest of us knew he'd be extremely good someday. Actually, in week 1 of last year, he looked amazing. He didn't put up great numbers, but he played with such confidence and poise that all the talk that week was extremely positive. He just had a few bad games after that.

The biggest problem was we had probably about 8 or 9 guys on IR by this point last season. I believe it was week 2 or 3 when our highly-hyped MLB, Nate Webster, went down for the count (He's still out by the way, PUP I believe). Most people were down because of the injuries. We knew we'd have a possible play-off team (just barely though) if we didn't have all the injuries. But we always knew that we couldn't win with what we had left.

This year is pretty electric, but there is surprisingly a ton of detracters yet. "It was just the Browns..... Minnesota handed us the win..." are things you hear more than you'd think.

But in a few weeks, this city will be going nuts, I'm sure.

good point re: the city's reaction to carson last year. i think espn put their own non-representative spin on the city's sentiment. after marvin's first year, we all bought into his plan. the vibe now is really special. remember, this is not a big city. when something goes right, everyone pees their pants. last sunday, i went for a 45-minute run, and it seemed like every other house was decked out with tailgaters screaming at me, "go bengals. who dey"

very entertaining. very refreshing. it's been a while since we had anything to celebrate in professional sports. '99 reds almost made the playoffs. it's a shame when that's my last recollection of a city building the fever. more power to what's happening, now!

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:06 am

I would imagine the really rough Pre Season helped with the nay sayers. It just goes to show you the truth about Pre Season games... THEY MEAN NOTHING!
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:23 pm

Bengals of 2005 = Chargers of 2004?

I love it when teams just emerge. Though it's still a little early, and coming from an 8-8 season isn't AS impressive as a 4-12 one.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jayday » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:39 pm

i never doubted palmer....people said he ould be yet another bengals 1st round bust....he sure is proving them wrong now....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:20 pm

the Bengals are not really a surprise at least in my eyes this year. They had started to turn things around several years earlier. The arrival of Marvin Lewis, the emergence of Rudi and Chad Johnson, the drafting of Carson palmer all seem to be signs pointing at improvement. Right now they are the 'sexy' pick and are looking pretty good. Only problem is that they are in a very tough divison even though Baltimore is struggling i dont see how they will win the divison over Pittsburg. I defintely can see them getting a wildcard berth and winning a game or two in the playoffs.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk