Maroney and the Gophers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Maroney and the Gophers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Maroney and the Gophers

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:28 am

Looks like Minnesota is being broadcast nationally today vs. Purdue. This is the first time I've really been able to sit down and watch him so I've been looking forward to this.

First quarter right now, Minnesota already over 100 yards rushing :-o.

So far for Maroney he's looked OK, I know almost 70 yards in the first quarter and just ok...He seems really strong on some runs, but goes down really easily on others, and doesn't appear to be very quick. We'll see i guess though.

I have been REALLY impressed with the Minnesota O-line and running scheme in general though. Are these linemen bigtime NFL prospects? They remind me of Denver's O-line where they're fast, but not particularly big so maybe they're not supposed to make good NFL blockers, but man do they look good. It's really saying something when you can run an off tackle and have 3 O-linemen pull from the other side and get upfield before the RB does. It's a bit of a mismatch with a DB trying to take on an o-lineman 4 yards upfield. These plays are drawn up very well also, there's never a defensive player that doesn't have someone putting a hat on him.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:45 am

Well centre Greg Eslinger is a likely 1st round pick in this coming draft. I hope Minnesota beats Purdue, if Purdue won the Big 10 w/o playing Michigan or Ohio St. (and maybe not Iowa either) I think I would vomit.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:19 pm

Keep in mind, before this matchup, Purdue had the best run defense in the NCAA, 14 yards a game.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:23 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:Keep in mind, before this matchup, Purdue had the best run defense in the NCAA, 14 yards a game.

After two games against Akron and Arizona ;).

By the way, who's this Russel kid on the Gophers, did I hear the announcers say he averages over 10 yards a carry?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:54 pm

Mareony for Heisman said it since the start of the year 217 yards against the best rush D in the NCAA. To bad Russell is so good to that he stole the TDs away.

Eslinger will be the first C and possibly the first OL in the draft. The rest of the line is just average I believe
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:03 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:Mareony for Heisman said it since the start of the year 217 yards against the best rush D in the NCAA. To bad Russell is so good to that he stole the TDs away.

Eslinger will be the first C and possibly the first OL in the draft. The rest of the line is just average I believe

Eslinger is amazing. If Maroney decides to "pull a Leinart" and stay back for his Senior year, it will be very interesting to see how dominating without the first round prospect.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:07 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:Mareony for Heisman said it since the start of the year 217 yards against the best rush D in the NCAA. To bad Russell is so good to that he stole the TDs away.

Eslinger is amazing. If Maroney decides to "pull a Leinart" and stay back for his Senior year, it will be very interesting to see how dominating without the first round prospect.

as much as I would like to see that no way Maroney stays for his senior year barring an injury which is unfortante for the Gophers but I think Russell and Pinnix will dominate too after Maroney leaves just not to the extent of Maroney
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:13 pm

Minnesota's running scheme has always been great, Maroney is still a very special back and probably the #1 true RB in this years draft class. Eslinger is the #1 C in the country although he won't be the first OL drafted like someone previously mentioned. I don't know much about the other OL but I don't think they are anything special. Nice win for Minny over Purdue. ;-D
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:35 pm

I think Minnesota looked good...But I don't think they are any better than OSU, UM, or MSU right now in the Big 10...arguments could be made about others....

It was a nice win for Minnesota, but it's nice to see them actually play a ranked team. They had had breaks in the schedule there for a couple years, so no knock on them. Good win...But I think the three aforementioned teams can take them this year. (Assuming they all play them - I would think Michigan does for the Little Brown jug, and MSU I know does in early November)...

And Purdue having the best rush defense in the country in September is really not that big of an accomplishment...There's been what 2-3 games?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:22 pm

That's totally untrue, in a best case scenario he would be the 6th or 7th offensive lineman off the board.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football