Auto-Pick
No votes
Live
100%

Total votes : 10

Auto-Pick or Live Draft

Postby AF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:26 pm

Which do you prefer and why?
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:48 pm

If you can get people together for a live draft it is definitely the way to go. The interaction, tension, and anticipation alone are worth the price of admission. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby MEK4178 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:58 pm

wait, Do the yahoo live drafts cost money? what this price of admission you talk about?
MEK4178
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:07 pm

They're free, I wouldn't do an autodraft if you had a gun to my head. Live drafting is the best by far.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:29 pm

Live drafts are so much more fun and interesting. Plus, the amount of time you spend re-ranking the players on autodraft so that you field a decent squad takes more time than it does to just do a live draft. For example, James Stewart, Chad Pennington, and all the other recently injured guys were never devalued through autodraft, so if you didn't cut change the draft order on 'em you would end up wasting a valuable pick on an injured guy.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:44 pm

Yeah that's the way that I feel. I just thought that maybe auto-drafts were becoming more popular ro something this year because I have heard alot more of people asking how they did and saying thier draft was done on auto. Just wanted to see what was up with things.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jeru » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:31 pm

In both baseball and football leagues, I've found live drafts to be way better than autodraft leagues, because with live drafts you feel more of a sense of ownership of your team, people are less ready to start making trades like crazy as soon as the draft is over, and if your team winds up sucking, you only have yourself to blame instead of blaming everything on the "bloody Yahoo autodraft" all year.

The one thing with the autodrafts is if you know what you're doing you can easily manipulate it to give you an excellent team, by bumping kickers, defences (other than TB) and TE (other than the top 3) down to the bottom of your rankings, and putting all RB in the top 20 rankings or so.

In my main league this year, not everyone could get together at the same time to do a real draft and they felt that letting people who couldn't make the draft be autodrafted would unfairly disadvantage them, so we did autodraft, which resulted in the team in my sig below, with a couple minor trades (to change the defense and TE). Some people were incredibly idiotic with their autodraft lists though, as some of them made a list of the players on their favorite team and left everyone else. One Patriots fan in my league wound up getting Brady, Troy Brown and Vinateri as his first 3 round picks!
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtarail » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:55 pm

Same thing with me. My autodraft team is way better than the live draft team. My WR's are insane and my backs are great, but my QB's and TE are awful. I somehow autodrafted some non-active TE in Chicago called John Davis. Ouch....Now I have to pick a punk up off waivers.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hawksfan896 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:35 am

Live draft is 100 percent better than autodraft, but the thing to remember is how difficult to get everyone in your league together for 4 to 6 or so hours depending on league size and roster sizes. We autodrafted this year because it's a 16 team league, and it was just too hard to get everyone together for a draft (and we all work together and roughly the same hours). For my baseball league we only had 8 teams so we did a live draft, but the only day we could all agree on was the day before the season started, giving us no time to adjust our rosters. Also, if you do live, ensure everyone is prepared. It adds a lot of time to the draft if you have people asking if players are still around or not from about the 3rd round on. It's fun too because the person who gets waaaay too drunk (trust me, there'll be one) will make some incredibly interesting (see: stupid) picks near the end. Also, when he passes out you can put his hand in warm water and make him pee his pants.
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby jeru » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:39 am

Well, that's the good thing about online Yahoo drafts if you do them. Once players are chosen, they are off the board and people can't try and draft them again, and it gives a 90 sec countdown timer for every pick. If they don't pick within that time, the computer picks for them. Also, if people no show the live draft, the computer also drafts for them based on standard Yahoo rankings if they didn't prerank which really puts them in a hole, because they'll wind up getting guys like Vick, Pennington, Stewart, J.Smith, etc.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk