Clayton - bust? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Clayton - bust?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:42 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Clayton is a much more talented wr than Keyshawn. His situation is just much better imo. Keys got a QB that can air it while Clayton has a run first, run second, and run some more coach. If Clayton had a decent qb and had as many attempts as Key, Clayton would have better stats.

Actually, Gruden is known for a pretty balanced offensive scheme. He certainly likes to have his QBs pass it - at least thats whats happened in the past. This is the first time Ive seen a Gruden RB get so many actual handoffs. Chances are it will gradually return to being a balanced offense.

Also - I think people need to be very careful in saying Clayton is a more talented WR than Keyshawn. Key is extremely talented - it may not always show up in the boxscore.

With Carnell Williams foot acting up, I think this is the week where Griese and Clayton have a good game. Detroit gave up 29 passing touchdowns last year. I think Gruden saying he has no intention of cutting Williams' workload after a 37 carry game last week is a smoke screen. Remember, Gruden's offense is all about passing. His ego isn't going to let Williams carry the offense all season.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:25 am

I think all the Clayton naysayers are gonna be eating crow after the week 4 game. Detroit is one of the worst teams in the NFL on the road, and Tampa is one of the hottest teams in the league right now. Tampa probably won't need to pass much in this game, but I think Clayton is still capable of some big plays due to the ineptness of Detroit on the road.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby RyanTB » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 am

The Guru wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
RyanTB wrote:
The Guru wrote:Keyshawn is having a better year this year so far.

You mean with his 12 receptions for 165 yds compared to Claytons 15 receptions for 185 yds?

:-t

No he probably means 165 yds and 3 TDs to 185 tds and 0 TDs. :-D

yep.

td's tend to matter. ;-)

Number of receptions and yardage is a better measure of consistency though. Clayton will eventually break some lose and there will be games where he has excellent endzone matchups. By the end of the year Clayton will have more yards AND touchdowns than Keyshawn.
RyanTB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby RyanTB » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:33 am

josebach wrote:With Carnell Williams foot acting up, I think this is the week where Griese and Clayton have a good game. Detroit gave up 29 passing touchdowns last year. I think Gruden saying he has no intention of cutting Williams' workload after a 37 carry game last week is a smoke screen. Remember, Gruden's offense is all about passing. His ego isn't going to let Williams carry the offense all season.

His foot's not acting up anymore though.
RyanTB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:00 pm

RyanTB wrote:His foot's not acting up anymore though.

Fanball wrote:Sep 29 Buccaneers running back Cadillac Williams didn't participate in the team portion of Wednesday's practice because of his sore arch but is probable for Sunday's game against the Lions, the team reported on Wednesday.
Views: A day off is a good idea for Williams, who leads the league in carries this season with 88. He'll return to practice later this week and should be in your lineup against a Lions defense that has allowed 122 rushing yards per game this season.

Apparantly the foot is still acting up.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RyanTB » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:23 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Apparantly the foot is still acting up.

A coach holding someone out of practice as a precaution doesn't really mean much at all. What you need to look at is the fact that he took 37 carries for 158 yds and Pittman only came in for 1 carry and 3 yds. I would have to say it's not bothering him.
RyanTB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby AT » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:17 pm

Whoa, long thread on this. No way I'm reading this entire beast...

I think there are 3 things at play here:

1) Re-emergence of Joey Galloway as a game-breaker and a solid option for Griese that he didn't have last season.

2) Emergence of Cadillac Williams as a solid back.

3) Due to Cadillac, the play-calling is more run-oriented.

Might be looking at a long season of underproduction for Clayton. Pisses me off, but I don't see any reason to expect more balls going his way.
I'm slowly converting over from Baseball...Very Slowly...
AT
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:39 pm

the foot was problematic last week as well. He ONLY rushed for 150 odd yards!!! They list it as a minor injury. Nothing to worry about right now imo. It could me problematic later if he keeps aggravating it though.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RyanTB » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:41 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Whoa, long thread on this. No way I'm reading this entire beast...

I think there are 3 things at play here:

1) Re-emergence of Joey Galloway as a game-breaker and a solid option for Griese that he didn't have last season.

2) Emergence of Cadillac Williams as a solid back.

3) Due to Cadillac, the play-calling is more run-oriented.

Might be looking at a long season of underproduction for Clayton. Pisses me off, but I don't see any reason to expect more balls going his way.

We've already gone over all three of those points in this thread. Point #1 that you listed is a mute point. Claytons best performances last year were in games with Galloway at his side. In regards to points 2 and 3 we expect that Cadillac's # of carries will come down slightly and we will see the more balanced Gruden offense that he is known for. However, expect to still see big numbers from Caddy.
RyanTB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Rick James » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:28 pm

"mute point".... I like that. it's funny
Rick James
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk