Fitzgerald - Warner = Negative Street Value? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fitzgerald - Warner = Negative Street Value?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fitzgerald - Warner = Negative Street Value?

Postby Boomer's Brown Eye » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:06 am

With Warner possibly gone for half + season, is Fitz even worth a damn anymore? Should he be dropped from all our teams??
[color=orange]“…and if it doesn’t work out, dont worry. The Catholic church is always changing.”
[i]- wedding day advice given to my father by his mother[/i][/color]
Boomer's Brown Eye
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 am

Fitz will lose almost no value with Warner gone.

Let me just add - I say this because I never really believed Warner would last very long - nor did I believe that he increased Fitz and Boldins value very much anyway.

I can see McCown throwing more ints., but at the same time, ARI will also have to abandon the run much sooner now because of those turnovers - all in all it will be a wash for the WRs as McCown is still going to throw the ball more than Warner even if it isnt as accurate.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:07 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Fitz will lose almost no value with Warner gone.

Let me just add - I say this because I never really believed Warner would last very long - nor did I believe that he increased Fitz and Boldins value very much anyway.

I can see McCown throwing more ints., but at the same time, ARI will also have to abandon the run much sooner now because of those turnovers - all in all it will be a wash for the WRs as McCown is still going to throw the ball more than Warner even if it isnt as accurate.

Wait, you mean the Cardinal's actually have a run game? Seriously though, I think McCown could find a favorite target out there, more so than Warner, if he starts for any length of time. Warner was really spreading the ball, throwing a lot of passes to his #3/#4 WRs, and didn't really appear to favor either Fitz or Boldin. I think Denny Green was getting angry that Bryant Johnson and Charles Lee were getting looks on critical third down situations and failing to convert. Boldin catches everything, Fitz can make a big play at any time, anywhere on the field...

McCown on the other hand, I doubt has enough experience to read through his progressions as far as Warner.. Fitz and Boldin's stats could conceivably go up and the Cardinal's could be a better offensive team in general (fantasy wise) because of that. McCown is prone to running for his life instead of dumping the ball, so I would hesitate to say his coming in is a "good thing". But it very well may be a good thing for Boldin, Fitz, or both.

-----

Boldin/Fitzgerald watch:

Boldin - 18/269/0 (96/1434/0)
Fitzgerald - 20/266/1 (106/1418/5)
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:28 am

Buy Low Candidate:
Fitzgerald

I just noticed Fanball's take on this situation:

Fanball wrote:Sep 26 Kurt Warner left Sunday's game against the Seahawks after injuring his groin. He rolled of the pocket without any pressure when he fell to the ground holding his groin. Coach Dennis Green called the injury "pretty serious," so it's likely he'll miss some time, according to Foxsports.com.
Views: If this were the stock market, Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin's value just dropped quicker than Enron's after the accounting scandal. Josh McCown replaced Warner at quarterback and was ineffective, finishing the day 10-for-23 for 97 yards and a pick.

Im glad to see this. Fanball propagates more myths than almost anyone in the fantasy community, yet people still take their advice daily. If you can find the Fitz owner in your league, see if he's read and agrees with Fanball's take on this situation. If so, test the trade waters - if you can get him for close to the 6th-7th rd pick the guy probably paid for him, he's a buy low candidate due to the misconception that his value is directly tied to Warner.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:29 pm

I was just trying to noodle through this situation today. A bit in McCown's defense, he was pretty much thrown into the Lion's den yesterday. Given a week of solid prep with the first team, I think he will perform better.

That being said, I look at Fitz/Boldin as interesting prospects. I do downgrade the pair not having Warner there to throw to them anymore. I tend to look at them now though as a pair of relatively decent buy low candidates if you will. I'm sure that most owners are going to be in a relative panic with Warner being out. I would try and capitilize on this a bit by trying to low ball offers on what are still two very talented WRs.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:15 pm

Anyone else think the Cards made a mistake passing on Aaron Rodgers? I know Antrel is sick, but Dennis Green is relying on bums as QBs out there.

Hey, they may get Leinart next year at this rate.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:25 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Anyone else think the Cards made a mistake passing on Aaron Rodgers? I know Antrel is sick, but Dennis Green is relying on bums as QBs out there.

Hey, they may get Leinart next year at this rate.

Wow, I've seen some out-of-left-field comments around here before but to call Warner a "bum" is pretty much up there Image - he is only a couple of years removed from league MVP remember? Just because the Cardinals O-line has been doing it's best Texans-O-line impression and the #3 and 4 WRs are doing their best Seahawks impression (dropped at least 3 TDs that I have seen with my channel surfing in the last two weeks) is no reason to go calling Kurt Warner a "bum" - he's got stats that are better than so-called super-QBs Peyton and Daunte right now...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby CC » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:04 pm

Just because Warner won the MVP a couple of years ago doesn't mean he is a good QB now. He has proven over the last few years that he is not the player he was in St. Louis and thus deserving of "bum" status.

Last year it would have been pretty reasonable to call Rick Gannon a bum. Just becuase he won the MVP doesn't mean he is any less of a bum now.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:36 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Just because Warner won the MVP a couple of years ago doesn't mean he is a good QB now. He has proven over the last few years that he is not the player he was in St. Louis and thus deserving of "bum" status.

Last year it would have been pretty reasonable to call Rick Gannon a bum. Just becuase he won the MVP doesn't mean he is any less of a bum now.

Image 696yds/1TD(plus at least 3 dropped)/2ints/1lost fumble for 2.5 games of work this qualifies as a Bum in your book? Image

All he did with the Giants last year was keep them in position to have a shot at post-season play until Coughlin betrayed the team by throwing them to the wolves with Eli at the helm and they promptly went in the toilet... The year before that he got in 1 game where he got sacked a zillion times and Bulger took over and all of a sudden he can't play? You're nuts...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby CC » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:07 pm

Do you think it is a coincidence that Warner gets sacked wherever he goes? No. He holds the ball for too long, that's why he gets hit so much.

You neglected to mention that for his 232 yds, 0.3 TDs, and 0.67 INTs a game he has made an average of 30.3 passes per game. If anyone throws the ball enough they can put up half way decent numbers. A 78.7 QB rating says it all.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk