Bengals D... do you really think they're that good? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bengals D... do you really think they're that good?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bengals D... do you really think they're that good?

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:28 am

I don't.

They beat the Browns. Big deal.
They beat the Vikings, who were all out of whack.
They beat the Bears because of bad QB decisions.

I didn't watch the first 2. I watched the last one. The Bears did not have any trouble running on the Bengals. It seemed to me that the Bengals have a very good secondary, that's ready and waiting for mis-throws, which works great against a team like the Bears that only has 1 WR that can make big corrections for a QB mistake. Bradley and Gage have not demonstrated that they can leave a margin of error and still get the job done.

I think the Bengals defense is as much a fraud as the Bears O was against Detroit.

I guess I'm just saying that because of highlights where you could see CPep make bad decisions, and having watched Orton just make bad, bad throws... it wasn't like the throws were great and the secondary made big things happen. It was as if CPep and Orton were throwing to the wrong guy.

Harrington throws to the wrong guy and it's Harrington's fault... to Cincy fans, all of those Cincy interceptions are due to "great defense, the result of their coach being one of the greatest defensive coaches in history." Something is fishy. Seems to me the Bears O Line kept the pocket solid really well yesterday.

I don't want to take anything legit away from the Bengals. Palmer and Johnson are kicking butt, and look to continue. Henry looks good... Housh is good. I know Rudi's good (but he couldn't prove it yesterday). But that Defense is NOT what people are making it out to be.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballchick23 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 am

Good or not, they've put up 20 and 16 fantasy pts. in Week 2 and 3, respectively. I felt similar to the way you felt...not sure if they're for real, especially because of their opponents so far. I benched them for TB defense weeks 2 & 3 and while TB still put up decent #'s, would have been nice to have some extra points! Oh well...they don't play any truly decent offense until Week 5 @ JAX, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Arlo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:35 am

How good they are (in a fantasy sense, at least) might depend on the scoring you use. If your scoring is heavily turnover-based, a defense that features several opportunistic ball-hawks can be worth quite a bit...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:43 am

I guess I mean in terms of real football. There's no denying the points they put up in Fantasy up to now. But I don't think that will continue.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:48 am

The thing is with CIN - they are going to have a decent at worst defense because Marv Lewis is a defensive minded coach with a history of success.

Yes, the fact that they have faced some offensively challenged teams have definitely made an impact on their fantasy success, but that goes for every team in the NFL - who you play will make an impact on how well you do. The point is, you cant really take away anything from them because their competition is weak. Their competition does get a bit tougher the rest of the way (after HOU obviously).

CIN's D wont be a top 5 in terms of points allowed, yardage, or even fantasy points - but they are a decent defense that should be considered well above average and when the matchup is favorable they are as good a fantasy start as any other top fantasy D.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:36 pm

Here's the thing about Cincy, their offense is so explosive that opposing offenses have to go almost exclusively to the air by about half-way through the 2nd quarter.... Once that happens, Marvin Lewis will scheme accordingly, and you will see a whole lot of picks.... It's not so much the pass rush that is causing them to have all of this success, but rather the ability to drop 5 men into coverage because the opposing team is down by 20 points, and forced to pass...

Let me tell you where Cincinnati will run into trouble.... When they play teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore that have defenses that can slow them down, and running games that can pound the ball on them, the Bengals will run into trouble because their front 4 are nothing special.... But, as long as they are playing teams with suspect defenses, their offense will get up early enough to force the opposing offense to be one dimensional, and once that happens, those ball-hawks in the secondary take over, and the turnovers start piling up....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:52 pm

They should finish top 10 overall in defense. Minnesota just showed, they do in fact have an offense, so funk or not, Cincy made one of the league's best QBs look like a fool, then they managed to be a team with a tough defense that didn't let them run away with the game.

This team still needs to take the litmus test of Pittsburgh, but it's finally looking like Marvin Lewis's team, I loved those 2 defensive picks they made, and right now Thurman is going to challenge for defensive rookie of the year with Derrick Johnson.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:52 pm

Until they play a good offense there is no way to gauge how good the Bengals D is. I'm not saying they aren't good, just saying you can't tell yet.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DUKE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:00 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Here's the thing about Cincy, their offense is so explosive that opposing offenses have to go almost exclusively to the air by about half-way through the 2nd quarter.... Once that happens, Marvin Lewis will scheme accordingly, and you will see a whole lot of picks.... It's not so much the pass rush that is causing them to have all of this success, but rather the ability to drop 5 men into coverage because the opposing team is down by 20 points, and forced to pass...

Let me tell you where Cincinnati will run into trouble.... When they play teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore that have defenses that can slow them down, and running games that can pound the ball on them, the Bengals will run into trouble because their front 4 are nothing special.... But, as long as they are playing teams with suspect defenses, their offense will get up early enough to force the opposing offense to be one dimensional, and once that happens, those ball-hawks in the secondary take over, and the turnovers start piling up....

Good post. I do think they potentially have the ability to score on those type of D's too, though. If you look at where this hot streak started from last season vs. the Ravens and Patriots, you'll see that Carson and the passing game was putting up points against them. They could also help themselves a bit by cutting down the freaking penalties.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:06 pm

I'm wondering if Cincinnati can win the close games.... We know their defense can hold up in the shootout, runaway victories.... But it remains to be seen what they can do when the game is on the line, and they have to play from behind or maintain a very small lead....

Look at the Colts in 2004.... I see a lot of similarities between this year's Cincinnati team, and that team.... The Colts' D had a very hard time holding up in the close ones..... They were good enough to get it done when the offense gave them a 20 point lead, but when they had to play from behind or maintain a small lead, they folded.... I'm wondering if Cincinnati won't be similar.... I think we'll find out when they play Pittsburgh on Oct 23rd.... Or perhaps when they play Jacksonville on Oct. 9th....

Until then, I've got Cincy D in my line-up and I intend to keep them there....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk