Bengals D... do you really think they're that good? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bengals D... do you really think they're that good?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benjapage » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:25 pm

justin smith
bryan robinson
john thornton
robert geathers

these are the much maligned players that comprise the cincinnati defensive line. they're really quite good.

that's before factoring in thurman and pollack (who are still both learning the defense), madieu williams and the two corners, o'neal and james. come on, now.

the one weakness there is kaesviharn, the strong safety, and he's a player ballsy enough to make up for lack of talent.

but it's not just the players. it's marvin lewis, and the sort of discipline that he demands from his teams. we reference baltimore and pittsburgh. he built those defensive schemes. the defense is good right now. not great--but by season's end, they will be great. watch.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm

benjapage wrote:
these are the much maligned players that comprise the cincinnati defensive line. they're really quite good.

If Bryan Robinson is playing like he did when he was a Bear, he deserves to be much-maligned.
Last edited by Goatwhacker on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DUKE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:32 pm

benjapage wrote:justin smith
bryan robinson
john thornton
robert geathers

that's before factoring in thurman and pollack (who are still both learning the defense), madieu williams and the two corners, o'neal and james. come on, now.

the one weakness there is kaesviharn, the strong safety, and he's a player ballsy enough to make up for lack of talent.

but it's not just the players. it's marvin lewis, and the sort of discipline that he demands from his teams. we reference baltimore and pittsburgh. he built those defensive schemes. the defense is good right now. not great--but by season's end, they will be great. watch.

b

yeah, and on the line, I'm also seeing a lot more of DT Shaun Smith, who is looking good in the rotation. I've never been a big Kevin K. fan either, but he does have a knack for making the big play. I expect to see Ohalate get more and more time as he learns our D. I'm not so sure about him in coverage though. Marvin has been quoted as saying (in regards to our Defense) that sometimes, our best defense will be our offense. Similar to what Plindsey said above; if we can jump out and score on teams, they will have to throw and give our ball-hawking DB's chances to make big plays.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:34 pm

If their D line is so good, why is the pocket so safe for the opposing QB, and why did T Jones run all over them? T Jones is NOT the epic "expect more than 100 yds out of him" RB... most owners would be thrilled to get 80 yards out of him. He didn't have much trouble with the D line. And there was almost no pressure on Orton (they didn't need to pressure him... he was ready to screw it all up himself.)

It's not a personal thing... I mean, my favorite team is in sad shape this year, as it has been for a long, long time. But I definitely don't see Cincy as a big deal, Defensively. Offensively, I think they've only just begun... I think next year they're going to be even better. But D? Defending that D line is sounding pretty homerish.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby DUKE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:44 pm

FatFoot wrote:If their D line is so good, why is the pocket so safe for the opposing QB, and why did T Jones run all over them? T Jones is NOT the epic "expect more than 100 yds out of him" RB... most owners would be thrilled to get 80 yards out of him. He didn't have much trouble with the D line. And there was almost no pressure on Orton (they didn't need to pressure him... he was ready to screw it all up himself.)

It's not a personal thing... I mean, my favorite team is in sad shape this year, as it has been for a long, long time. But I definitely don't see Cincy as a big deal, Defensively. Offensively, I think they've only just begun... I think next year they're going to be even better. But D? Defending that D line is sounding pretty homerish.

I don't see where their Dline is being called great. I think the addition of Thurman, along with Madieu in his second season is helping them from being exposed as much this season. I would like to see more pressure from the front 4. I disagree with you regarding TJones. I think he's one of the more underrated Rb's in the leauge. You should give just a little credit to he and your Offensive line, rather than trash on the Bengals for giving him 100 yards. I will agree that if you want to pin-point the biggest weakness on this defense, it's the Dline though. Still, your line and Jones are pretty good.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:48 pm

The point is about the Bengals Defense being so good. If they're so good, a good O Line and a decent RB shouldn't be able to go to town on them. Thomas Jones... I have always thought he's better than a "turd" but he's not starter material on most teams, or so everyone would have thought through week 1.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby DUKE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:21 pm

FatFoot wrote:The point is about the Bengals Defense being so good. If they're so good, a good O Line and a decent RB shouldn't be able to go to town on them. Thomas Jones... I have always thought he's better than a "turd" but he's not starter material on most teams, or so everyone would have thought through week 1.

I guess he had a pretty good day, but I don't know if I'd call running for 100 yds and a TD "going to town" on them. I think they are a pretty good D, but I'm not trying to call them the next 85' Bears. As I admitted before, If you want to pin-point a weakness, it would have to be the run. I do think they are very opportunistic and a work in progress. But, from last year, there's obvious improvement. They are young and will hopefully continue to grow.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:31 pm

100 yards or more is a good day. A touchdown on top of that, and you're talking foreign language to a Bears fan.

But they ARE one of the most improved teams this year, and they ARE going to be one of the most exciting teams to watch this year. You'll get no disagreement from me on that.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk