Brian Westbrook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brian Westbrook

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brian Westbrook

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:07 pm

What are your thoughts on him right now?

I know he's been tearing it up as the primary option in PHI. He looks like he's a lock to be a top 10 RB with the consistantly good numbers he's put up the first 3 weeks:

111 and 1 TD @ ATL
120 and 1 TD v SF
208 and 2 TD v OAK

#3 fantasy RB in standard Yahoo scoring.

He looks like an absolute monster right now, right?

But what about his injury history? He hasent been healthy for a full yr yet in his career - and that was when it was a RBBC. This yr its obvious that there is no RBBC (although when they get into blowouts they will rest him). He had knee surgery this offseason as well. Can he really hold up for the rest of the season under this kind of a load?

What are your takes on Westy at this point - will he stay healthy all yr - if not, when would you gamble to trade him? Obviously if he gets injured his value drops off the table - so if you believe he will get injured, then its up to you to trade him before that happens.

Bottom line: Will he get injured? If so, when do you plan on trading him - and what targets are you looking for?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:12 pm

I feel anybody can get hurt on any given day.

Westy may be a bit brittle but he is also hard to hit directly because he is so shifty. I'm real high on him and pissed I passed on him for someone I don't care to mention for fear of getting banned for incompetence. Westy might get hurt but given where he was drafted he appears like a solid pick.

I wouldn't hesitate to trade for him if the deal was right.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:12 pm

I picked up Lamar Gordon in a league with 20 man rosters. I just couldn't pull the trigger on Westbrook in any of my leagues this offseason.. I don't trust a RB who only carries the ball 12 games a game/ plays in Philly. Especially a guy who relies so much on his mobility and has an injury history.

I always felt the "#2" in the 1/2 punch would be the better value and worth the risk (Buckhalter in the 10th+, ouch). Westbrook proponents have been right so far, I'll give them that much.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:23 pm

He is the #2 RB in my league, and I would love to own him. The guy is a lock almost for a TD a week. He has the same chance of scoring each week as does Priest or LT.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 pm

eaglesfan wrote:He is the #2 RB in my league, and I would love to own him. The guy is a lock almost for a TD a week. He has the same chance of scoring each week as does Priest or LT.

indeed he does - but what about his injury history? Thats the point of this thread.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:39 pm

He only missed 1 game to injury last year.
He missed 1 game to injury the year before.

2 games in your first 3 year's as a RB is pretty standard. Heck, even big ole Corey Dillon missed two games his first 3 years.

He's small, but the Eagles rarely ask him to go up the middle. He doesn't take many big hits from what I've seen and I think part is due to how many outside plays the Eagles run with him, and another part is that often he's working against the secondary, because it takes a real quick OLB to stick with him.

I'd stick with him. He's going to be a top 12 RB again, and chances are, he's your #2 RB. That's great production.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:41 pm

im not positive, but I would say I guy like Priest Holmes, has been hurt more, and missed more games, and he goes at #4 in most drafts. I would say his injury history is a little over hyped. Im pretty sure Westy has only missed two games (season, not including playoffs, which he missed Carolina) the last two years, which was Baltimore, and Atlanta. The rest he sat out due to having the NFC locked up(Cincy, and ST) last year.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Re: Brian Westbrook

Postby tomkatt » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:29 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What are your thoughts on him right now?

I know he's been tearing it up as the primary option in PHI. He looks like he's a lock to be a top 10 RB with the consistantly good numbers he's put up the first 3 weeks:

111 and 1 TD @ ATL
120 and 1 TD v SF
208 and 2 TD v OAK

#3 fantasy RB in standard Yahoo scoring.

He looks like an absolute monster right now, right?

But what about his injury history? He hasent been healthy for a full yr yet in his career - and that was when it was a RBBC. This yr its obvious that there is no RBBC (although when they get into blowouts they will rest him). He had knee surgery this offseason as well. Can he really hold up for the rest of the season under this kind of a load?
What are your takes on Westy at this point - will he stay healthy all yr - if not, when would you gamble to trade him? Obviously if he gets injured his value drops off the table - so if you believe he will get injured, then its up to you to trade him before that happens.

Bottom line: Will he get injured? If so, when do you plan on trading him - and what targets are you looking for?

He doesn't get all that many touches it seems like. Does his damage with about 20 touches/game. I don't think that's a major cause for concern. If he was getting it 30 times a game, then it might be a bigger issue. Let's just cross our fingers that he stays injury free.

I kept LT2, drafted Portis then Westbrook. Couple of the guys thought I was nuts when I took him after having LT2/Portis already. I just couldn't pass up Westy's potential, and frankly was surprised he was still there.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SunnydaleSpike » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:39 pm

He is a top 10 RB for sure, dare I say top 3 if your league awards points for receptions.
Make sure to grab Lamar Gordon just in case.
Neil Young haunts my nightmares.
SunnydaleSpike
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:41 pm

yeah, he's my 3rd behind Edge/deuce but I can't make that exception to get him in my lineup. I think I might trade him now for a QB upgrade. I've got A. Green and Fred Taylor behind him. Its such a bogus league that I'm not even sure Its worth it tho.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk