Brian Westbrook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brian Westbrook

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:28 am

I dont quite know what to think just yet. I agree with you he really does appear to have lost a step. At the same time however, he is in a great system and NE appears to ride him more the colder it gets. Overall, I still think he'll end up a top 10 fantasy RB this yr.

I have a very very difficult time jumping on the bandwagon of guys like FWP, or Caddy types this early in the season. My top 10 Rbs for the rest of the yr looks very similar to my top 10 RBs from 3 weeks ago.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:41 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Anyway - Right now I would trade Westbrook for LT, SA, Holmes, Edge, Deuce, and Dillon. I guess his injury history scares me that much. To each his own. ;-)

I'd agree on most of those, but at this point I'm beginning to get concerned about Dillon and Duece. Dillon hasn't been rushing like I thought he would, and with one of his best linemen possibly out for the year, things aren't looking up. Duece is a great talent, but the Saints seem to have abandoned that "we're going to run with Duece" philosophy. He's not getting really high amounts of carries, or high ypc, and with Brooks inconsistent play, I'm expecting New Orleans to be behind alot.

That being said, I didn't know about the highschool and college injuries Westbrook had had, and that does give more cause for concern.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:00 am

Deuce will pick it up. He's playing with a rookie Offensive tackle, and a line that is young. I think the saints starters are the youngest of any team actually (could be wrong, actually they might be the oldest. Wait, isn't Bledsoe starting, never mind)

anyways. NO has faced tough Teams and tough run defenses in Minny, NYG, and Carolina. All three have indimidating linemen, and NYG have shown something till LT shredded them. And all have been road games. The next 4 games are buffalo, GB, ATL, and St. Louis. Buffalo has been run on, and they have a pathetic O. GB has a weak D, although their run D has been relatively solid so far I don't expect it to continue. ATL can be run on, not like last year. St. Louis is a joke for run D. After those 4 games the schedule looks tough, but outside of Tampa twice, and a rematch with CAR the schedule looks doable and deucable.

Expect deuce to pick it up physically as well, tho the schedule shoudl help.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby MadScott » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:08 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Greg Lewis is bad fellas. Sorry to burst your bubble. Dont quote me the stats he put up against OAK and SF and tell me he's special - come on. Has PHI had a good #2 WR in the last 10 yrs? Just give it up. I will say he is serviceable but then again, thats all PHI asks of their #2 WR. Im specifically talking about skill here - not stats. Lewis simply isnt that talented, and to even try and compare him to playmakers like Wayne and Housh by quoting the stats he put up against poor Ds is a thin argument at best.

Anyway - Right now I would trade Westbrook for LT, SA, Holmes, Edge, Deuce, and Dillon. I guess his injury history scares me that much. To each his own. ;-)

Corn, What are your feelings on Dilllon? I know a lot of people had him in the top10 or even top5 in the early offseason, but he eventually fell back to a 10-12 ranking. And Every time I watch him play, it's brutal, the guy has obviously lost a step. It's like watching a car accident in slow motion. What makes you rank him as a top RB anymore? It looks to me like Dillon fell off a cliff in the offseason.
Dillon real quick, don't underestimate the changes in that Oline during the offseason. Mankins has looked good at G but don't forget he's still a rookie. I do agree though that so far Dillon has been far from spectacular. He's also played what I think is a very underrated OAK run defense, a tough CAR defense and probably the toughest run defense out there PITT in their first 3 games. Truthfully, he couldn't have started with a much tougher schedule.

With Westbrook I too feel as if the other shoe is going to fall. I haven't thought about what to trade for, but I'm starting to look at trading him. I'm worried as much about McNabb's sports hernia as anything with that team. If they start sitting him late in the year if they have thing wrapped up, I think that entire offense's production starts to go down the tubes in a hurry.

I don't think you want to move him in a PPR league, but right now, you can probably ask for anything outside of LT/SA for him, Priest included.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kloide » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:34 pm

What exactly is Westbrook's injury history that you are talking about? 1 game last year?
LMAO
idiots
kloide
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:31 pm

For all of us to have Westbrook in a PPR league he is a goldmine and even though he is doing so well i wouldnt trade him, with buckhalter out he is money and they play KC this week, which he will have many good looks.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:57 am

kloide wrote:What exactly is Westbrook's injury history that you are talking about? 1 game last year?
LMAO
idiots

This is in the thread if you care to know. He's pretty much had some kind of injury at every stage of his career up to joining the NFL, then he's been injured every yr since in some varying degree or another. He's never played in 16 games in a season.

Please dont call people names. :-t
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:07 am

I'll tell you what I don't like about Brian Westbrook....

In a magazine interview, recently, he listed "A Bronx Tale" as one of his all-time favorite movies.... I'm not sure I can get behind a guy who can't do better than that.... :-t

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mr. Copernicus » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:38 am

Didn't take the time to read every post but...

anyone can get hurt on any play and they seem to use him in a manner where he doesn't have to play above his head (i.e. wearing teams down by pounding it up the middle).

that's why I diagree with the "Westy would be leaned on more if McNabb goes down" statement. If one piece of the McNabb, Westbrook, T.O. puzzle loses significant time the offense changes and each of them make me a bit more nervous as an owner. I think each would still produce, but there is no denying that their stats come from teams not being able to focus so much on any one of them.

would like to add that I thought there was no way Westbrook would put up 8+ tds this year so I shyed away from him... whoops. I owned him in a league last year and injury worries didn't factor into it. Like I said, they use him according to well-thought plans and won't devidate from it unless an injury to one of the others messes that up.
Mr. Copernicus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk