Pennington out for the year, Fiedler out for six weeks+ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pennington out for the year, Fiedler out for six weeks+

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pennington out for the year, Fiedler out for six weeks+

Postby warrick95 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:12 pm

Jay Fiedler - QB - Jets

NFL Network reports Jay Fiedler is expected to miss at least six weeks with a partially torn labrum.
Sometimes even the best laid plans don't work. Chad Pennington and Fiedler suffered their respective injuries only one quarter apart. The Jets will hope that Brooks Bollinger or another veteran can take hold of the job before Fiedler possibly gets healthy. Sep. 26 - 8:06 pm et
Chad Pennington - QB - Jets

NFL Network reports Chad Pennington will miss the 2005 season with a torn rotator cuff.
With Jay Fiedler also out at least six weeks, the Jets will start Brooks Bollinger this weekend. The Jets offense was in big trouble before this injury. Laveranues Coles and Justin McCareins lose value, while Curtis Martin will face teams loaded to stop the run. It's also fair to wonder what kind of future Pennington has. Never known for his strong arm, he will have a long road back from his second major shoulder surgery in as many years. Sep. 26 - 7:52 pm et

Serious trouble brewing for the J-E-T-S.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby The Lung » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:21 pm

Downgrade the value of all Jets immediately.

Coles, Curtis Martin, Baker, Blaylock, McCareins and even the defense.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:23 pm

In my opinion, the Jets have to acquire somebody to become their quarterback. Let's face it. Their team is actually pretty decent. Ty Law is a damn good cornerback, although he's not 100% recovered and the new enforcement of rules (he didn't receive a full yaer's action last year) cannot help a physical cornerback like him's style of play. Dewayne Robertson is developing nicely and they have a good pair of pass rushers on the outside. John Vilma is turning into an elite LBs and the rest of their players are pretty good. The offense on a whole has never been elite, but it's efficient, which may have been a reflection of Pennington. Heimerdinger was supposed to open things up in a more vertical manner.

Anyway, the Jets have proven that they're legitimate playoff contenders every year and they've made improvements to the roster this year (although IMO, the loss of Lamont Jordan hurts, since I forsee Martin slowing down this season after carrying a heavy workload last year). They may be thinking that they can make a good run this year.

That's why it makes sense to me for them to acquire a quarterback. Let's get real. Brooks Bollinger is not the savior.
Possible QBs:

Billy Volek...probably a longshot, but Heimerdinger had him in TN last year and he can really throw a deep ball. However, TN is looking to groom him as the future starter, right?

Jon Kitna...IMO, the biggest possibility. Kitna has said that he wants to stay in Cincy, but I think the Bengal organization, if approached with a trade request, would be honorable enough to sit down with Kit and see what he wants to do (of course, it is a business and they may not, as they were asses to Peter Warrick). Kitna may not turn down a chance to start before his FA year for a pretty good team.

Rivers or Brees would be intriguing as hell, but that's really doubtful.

They'll sign anotehr QB for sure...Quincy Carter? I still think that if they can strike a deal, it'd be worth it. I know how tough trades are to do in the NFL nowadays, though. Are the Jets cap crunched?

Oh...one more thing. This may be the end of the line for Chad Pennington as a starter. 2nd surgery on, what Rotoworld said, was an already questionable arm. He's a smart quarterback, but how good will his physical skills be? If I were the Jets, I would certainly draft a quarterback in next year's draft, in Day 1 or the 4th round.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:29 pm

Time to compete for the Matt Leinhart sweepstakes I guess.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Payne Dailey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Mort said on countdown that he thought they would try to trade for Volek or Ramsey. Just his opinion.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:35 pm

I forgot about Ramsey. That's actually a pretty good possibility. However, I'm still not sure whether his horrible play was a result of him or Gibbs' awful plays.

-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:38 pm

go with Ramsey
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:52 pm

well this just sucks.......the jets honestly don't have a chance now....
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:54 pm

not to sound like a jerk, but was there much optimism before?
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:03 pm

eaglesfan wrote:not to sound like a jerk, but was there much optimism before?

Nice. Classy remark.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk