Pennington out for the year, Fiedler out for six weeks+ - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pennington out for the year, Fiedler out for six weeks+

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby big shot » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:06 am

i agree that there best bet is to pick up testerverde. he was just there a year ago, so he should know the offense pretty well and how to work with the players. they have a solid team and a veteran quaterback could be all they need. i also think pennintion would vouch for vinny, as vinny helped him through out his career, and took a back seat to pennington when they brought chad in the first time
big shot
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:10 am

big shot wrote:i agree that there best bet is to pick up testerverde. he was just there a year ago, so he should know the offense pretty well and how to work with the players. they have a solid team and a veteran quaterback could be all they need. i also think pennintion would vouch for vinny, as vinny helped him through out his career, and took a back seat to pennington when they brought chad in the first time

Bringing back that dinosaur is a big :-t :-t :-t
J.C.Fighter
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drsteuss » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:47 am

The best bet would be David Garrard down in JAX. But why would the Jags trade him?

Further, why would Tennessee trade Volek? Why would Cincy trade Kitna? All those teams are a hit away from relying on the next guy.

No, the Jets can only get the QB's no one else wants. That means Quincy Carter, Jeff George, Patrick Ramsey (the Skins don't really want him), and the rest of scrap heap.

Translation: the Jets are screwed.
aka Big Daddy Drew, Kissing Suzy Kolber
drsteuss
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benm3218 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:10 am

I have a HUGE HUGE insider scoop for you from Nashville radio. A caller to the show has a friend in New York in the Jets organization. This is not official.

Feidler is supposedly done for the year, and this will be announced today.

It appears though that, the Jets want Volek very bad. Volek is a great QB, I would argue he knows Hiemerdingers offense better than Pennington right now. Volek is smart, has a great deep ball, something Jets NEED very bad.

Heimerdinger wants Volek BAD. Rosenhaus is involved as well. With Travis Henrys suspension more money was freed up for Titan's for short term.

With this being Curtis Martin and Abrahams last year with the Jets, they need to make a good year of this, it is too early to give up on season.

They will sign Doug Johnson, then take a few days to complete a trade with TN for Volek. Then ship Johnson back to TN as the number 2.
To add to the rumor, Matt Mauck(spelling?) from our practice squad did not go to New York to tryout and stayed in Nashville for unknown reasons. **could be he was asked to stay???**

So it could be Volek to New York and Johnson to TN.........
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JimmyChoi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:43 am

I say Ramsey Kitna or bring back Carter.....VOLEK is not worth what TN is askinig ...a 1st and 2nd rounder....
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benjapage » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:46 am

as a bengals fan, i would be very surprised if kitna leaves. not only is he a capable back-up, but he's essentially become the team chaplain.

b
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wizbang » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:25 am

As a Coles owner I would absolutely LOVE Volek coming to the Jets. The Jets are absolutely desperate so I wouldn't write off a big time rip off trade (the 1st and 2nd being rumored). It's not like Tennessee has any chance of going anywhere in the next few years so why not get a bunch of draft picks (that could end up being very high draft picks).

I still think the odds are pretty low that this deal will get done. Everyone else on the scrap heap would absolutely kill Coles' value, with the possible exception of Kitna.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:28 am

benm3218 wrote:I have a HUGE HUGE insider scoop for you from Nashville radio. A caller to the show has a friend in New York in the Jets organization. This is not official.

Feidler is supposedly done for the year, and this will be announced today.

It appears though that, the Jets want Volek very bad. Volek is a great QB, I would argue he knows Hiemerdingers offense better than Pennington right now. Volek is smart, has a great deep ball, something Jets NEED very bad.

Heimerdinger wants Volek BAD. Rosenhaus is involved as well. With Travis Henrys suspension more money was freed up for Titan's for short term.

With this being Curtis Martin and Abrahams last year with the Jets, they need to make a good year of this, it is too early to give up on season.

Volek would be way too pricey for the Jet's to consider. The guy is not a quality NFL starting QB, and that is the price he would command. The Jet's already have Pennington locked up, they need a 1 year stopgap fill-in.

Seriously, if the Jet's make a move for Feeley, err Volek, their organization is taking a big step backwards. Giving a high pick or multiple high picks just so that they can amass an 8-8 record, miss the playoffs, and get stuck right in the middle of the first round? Smacks of desperation and will almost surely come back to bite them in the ass next year. Is the situation so desperate that they're willing to sacrifice the future (next year?!?) for a chance to be a wildcard team? That is just not smart management.

I think they pull a guy from the rummage bin (Testaverde) or acquire a guy on the cheap (Ramsey). At least that way they will have their picks for next year. I think Ramsey would get the ball downfield just as effectively as Volek would, for a quarter the cost.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby wizbang » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:52 am

fyi, the Jets have to consider the possibility that Pennington's career is essentially over.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:53 am

Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk