Andre Johnson..will he live up to his preseason rank? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Andre Johnson..will he live up to his preseason rank?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Andre Johnson..will he live up to his preseason rank?

Postby john912435 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Is Johnson a buy low candidate or a season long wash? Everyone is down on him thus far, but last year he was inconsistent with some huge games and some games like the previous 2 this year. I know the OL sucks, but it did last year too. I think he rebounds nicely in week 4. Anyone agree?
john912435
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 8
Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:46 pm

not against the bengals...sorry dude
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5459
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:59 pm

jayday wrote:not against the bengals...sorry dude


Why not? The Texans will be forced to air it out to stay in contention, and while the Bengals do have a bunch of picks this year they were mostly self-destruct picks on the part of the QBs that threw them...
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby devius » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:12 am

lmcjaho wrote:
jayday wrote:not against the bengals...sorry dude


Why not? The Texans will be forced to air it out to stay in contention, and while the Bengals do have a bunch of picks this year they were mostly self-destruct picks on the part of the QBs that threw them...


because carr has yet to show he can pass the ball with any accuracy, especially in the face of pressure. he is the second most sacked QB behind bulger. he really just doesnt have enough time in the pocket.
QB Carson Palmer*, Jake Plummer
RB Deuce McAllister*, Corey Dillion*, Warrick Dunn, Willie Parker*, Michael Bennett
WR Torry Holt*, Michael Clayton*, Chris Chambers, Eddie Kennison, Charles Rogers*,
TE Tony Gonzalez*
K Ryan Longwell*
DEF MatchUps
devius
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 321
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 am

devius wrote:because carr has yet to show he can pass the ball with any accuracy, especially in the face of pressure. he is the second most sacked QB behind bulger. he really just doesnt have enough time in the pocket.


That's fine but your answer has nothing to do with the Bengals. They didn't put up much of a pass rush against the Browns, Vikes or Bears - 0 sacks against Dilfer and really Culpep and Orton made most of their mistakes on their own, not really pressure-related...
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby devius » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:31 am

lmcjaho wrote:
devius wrote:because carr has yet to show he can pass the ball with any accuracy, especially in the face of pressure. he is the second most sacked QB behind bulger. he really just doesnt have enough time in the pocket.


That's fine but your answer has nothing to do with the Bengals. They didn't put up much of a pass rush against the Browns, Vikes or Bears - 0 sacks against Dilfer and really Culpep and Orton made most of their mistakes on their own, not really pressure-related...


houston is last in passing yards, 1TD-3INT ratio, last in 1st down conversions, and carr is currently carrying a 47.9 passer rating. cincy is almost guaranteed to carry the lead throughout the game. and carr is just not good enough to find a reciever when the other team knows he's going to throw. can you tell me why you think carr should have success where dilfer, culpepper and orton didnt?
QB Carson Palmer*, Jake Plummer
RB Deuce McAllister*, Corey Dillion*, Warrick Dunn, Willie Parker*, Michael Bennett
WR Torry Holt*, Michael Clayton*, Chris Chambers, Eddie Kennison, Charles Rogers*,
TE Tony Gonzalez*
K Ryan Longwell*
DEF MatchUps
devius
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 321
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:43 am

devius wrote:houston is last in passing yards, 1TD-3INT ratio, last in 1st down conversions, and carr is currently carrying a 47.9 passer rating. cincy is almost guaranteed to carry the lead throughout the game. and carr is just not good enough to find a reciever when the other team knows he's going to throw. can you tell me why you think carr should have success where dilfer, culpepper and orton didnt?


I am not saying he necessarily will have success, just that the Bengals are not some super-stud defense just because they have had some early season success... Your explanations all center on Carr and Houston's in-effectiveness, not on the Bengals which is where jayday was implying the problems lay...
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:34 am

I see it as a combination of both - Cincy's D is very much for real - I trust Marv Lewis. Similarly, Carr hasent exactly prompted me to place much confidence in him.

Now, at the same time, one never does know how these things will turn out. If HOU abandons the run early and Carr throws to AJohnson over and over, then AJohnson is going to have a great game. Similarly, Hou will lose of course and CIN will probably end up with half a dozen picks, but by sheer volume AJ will have good numbers. I dont see this happenening, as HOU hasent done that in the past, but you never know. ;-)

The original question is whether or not AJ will earn his draft price - and the obvious answer is no. AJ was drafted in the 3rd-4th rd as if he was going to improve on his 1150 and 6 performance from 2004 - not just match it, and at this point I can barely see him matching it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:26 am

I agree with Cornbread. AJ is a monster receiver with a mouse QB. It looks as if the high sack numbers have pummled Carr senseless. Unless the shake-up in coaching translates into a game plan that allows DD to run productively and Carr to stay in the pocket safely then I don't see AJ living up to the hopes of those who drafted him.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:47 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:The original question is whether or not AJ will earn his draft price - and the obvious answer is no..


Not to burst your bubble, or to knock your answer but... that was not the orignal question.

john912435 wrote:Is Johnson a buy low candidate or a season long wash?


That was the question...and the answer is YES he is a prime buy low candidate. If you can get for cheap do it, you didn't spend the high pick on him someone else did. If you can benefit from them giving up to early on guy who will be a solid#2 WR go for it...

and if he does bust, are you really going to care if you spent nothing to get him? hell no, so why not give a chance to a guy who could be a stud by the years end.
Image

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5783
Joined: 6 Nov 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Bada Bing

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:21 hours
(and 57 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact