Starting QB/RB from same team... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Starting QB/RB from same team...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starting QB/RB from same team...

Postby Orange and Blue » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:35 am

I've heard all of the arguments for and against this setup. I know that this setup means that pretty much every touchdown that team scores, I will recieve points for (double points if it's a pass to the RB). I also know that a bad game for the team could potentially devastate my week.

However, would it help if I said that I was playing in a points-based rather than Head to Head format, the QB/RB duo was Manning/James, and that I was also going to start Portis as my other RB?

The other option is I could take a trade offer and trade Edge and Lelie for J. Lewis and T. Streets. I don't think Streets is necessarily going to be a large upgrade over Lelie. I DO think that the Edge is going to be an upgrade over Lewis. I also think that in a points based format, consistancy is far less important, and all that matters is who I think is going to be better overall.

As it stands, I plan to start Manning/Edge/Lelie. Anybody have anything else to say that I didn't cover already? Differences of opinion? Agreement?
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:08 am

In a points league it doesn't really matter.

I'd rather have Edge, and I'd rather have Lelie. I wouldn't do any half of that deal.

Drafting the best players is most important. In my money league just days ago I took Faulk, Taylor and Ward with my first 3 picks. I went Holt in the 4th, and grabbed Warner when he was still there later. I didn't want to grab the 3 Rams by deasign, but they were my best choices at the time. I also grabbed Vick a little later, so I can maybe make a little move at QB later. Maybe. The Rams have a cake schedule, especially in the playoffs, so I think I'll ride the hopefully resurgent Rams.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Re: Starting QB/RB from same team...

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:31 am

Orange and Blue wrote:I also think that in a points based format, consistancy is far less important, and all that matters is who I think is going to be better overall.

I completely disagree with this. Consistency is everything. Just ask Sean Alexander owners from last year.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Challie » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:17 pm

Is this 1) Points based league where winners are awarded just at the end of the season, or 2) Points based where best team in league wins the week & gets money (I was in one of these once, it drove me nuts).

If it's #1, then Jose, I completely disagree with your disagreement, respectfully yet completely. Our poster boy for inconsistency, Alexander, would flourish just based on end of season stats.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Orange and Blue » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:06 am

It's the first kind. Everyone gets points all season, and whoever's #1 once the last injury ridden player is carted off the field after the last down of the last game of the year wins the whole shebang.

I'm normally the biggest advocate of consistency in Head to Head formats. Manning is always my poster-child QB. In the weekly-winner point systems, I prefer consistency paired with 1 or 2 inconsistant yet explosive hombres. That way I can ideally get at least 3 wins, and the horrible weeks are no worse than only moderately successful weeks.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:46 am

I agree with dgroundhog. That would be a foolish trade, IMO. Edge should be better than Lewis and Lelie has way more upside than Streets, who couldn't draw a double team off my grandma.

In your type of league, that set up means nothing to the QB/RB or WR combo or the inconsistent play of Shaun Alexander. What you want at the end of the year is max points from your guys at the end of the year. You don't care if Shaun or Edge score 16 TDs in week 5 and none the rest of the year.

It's in head to head leagues where these things matter.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:12 pm

I'd say that a QB-WR tandem would be better for bonus points than a QB-RB tandem. Of course, Warner to Faulk and Holt can't be all that bad can it?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ousmagic » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:57 pm

if u have QB-RB then for the most part every touchdown is gonna be one or the other
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk