Sacrifice a Starter for a Strong Bench? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sacrifice a Starter for a Strong Bench?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sacrifice a Starter for a Strong Bench?

Postby Retet » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:29 am

I have a fantasy football quandary that I can't work out.

At the moment, I have a solid group of starters, but my bench is shaky, especially at running back (roster below). Anyway, I don't want this to be a "who do I drop?" post. Rather, I like to know if you all think it wise to sacrifice a quality starter for a quality reserve. Put another way, from a strategy perspective, I know we all want a strong bench, but do you sacrifice a starter for that strong bench?

Roster
QB: K. Collins* M. Hasselbeck
RB: J. Jones* LT2*D. Foster, JJ Arrington, M. Shipp
WR: T. Owens* C. Johnson* S. Smith* D. Branch, A. Randel El,
TE: A. Crumpler
D: Philly
K: Shayne Graham

League Info:

10-Team
Standard, performance scoring
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bowie » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:01 am

I can't see why you would want to give up any of those starters just to fill in bench spots. You have a good team at this point, I would just play the wire and hope your bench improves before you need it.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:06 am

When I'm faced with this kind of question I look at how many points I am giving up in my starting line-up, and how badly I need the bench player....

The only time I would even consider making such a move is if the position I am trying to add depth at is RB, and even then, I'd only make the move if my drop off at the starting position is less than 20%, and I have no starters available in my #3 RB spot....

For example:

In your situation, I think the drop off from Steve Smith to Deion Branch is probably greater than 20%, and you have a potential starter at RB #3 in either Arrington or Shipp.... So, I doubt I would make the move...

WHAT I WOULD DO, though, is a combo trade involving Arrington, Shipp, Hasselbeck, and Branch for a better #3 RB....

Something like:

Hasselbeck, Arrington, Shipp, and Branch

for

Eli Manning, Kevin Jones, and Marty Booker

The guy on the other end of this deal has to believe he is getting a steal, but you're solidifying your #3 RB spot, AND getting a "buy low" RB for the price of 3 back-ups..... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:16 am

I think I can help by telling a story about a fantasy owner who gave up a starter for a strong bench.

My "friend" drafted Mike Anderson as his 3rd RB, and Thomas Jones as his 4th. As he thought about the Bears potential, and the shaky RB situation in Denver, he thought it prudent to try and make a swap. He managed to land Bell for TJ, straight up. Rejoiced. Watched 3 games of the season and now wants to jump from a building, as TJ has outperformed KJ (# 2 pick) and for the most part Edge (# 1 pick). Not to mention the afforementioned Mike Anderson and Bell combined. Stick with your starters, you won't end up on the ledge.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk