When Will Benson Take Over? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When Will Benson Take Over?

Moderator: Football Moderators

When Will Benson Take Over?

Postby benjapage » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:19 pm

t.jones has looked stellar, indeed. realistically, will the bears sit benson all season if t.jones keeps up this pace? at what point do politics enter the equation? after the bears are mathematically eliminated?

we don't need to get into how great or unreliable t.jones has been. neither do we need the foray into whether or not benson is a horse's ass.

i just want some pure, unadulterated speculation on if/when benson will take the job and run with it.

b
Last edited by benjapage on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Posse » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:35 pm

Last year TJ waned at the end of the year. I don't see Benson taking over unless TJ wanes again this year.
Posse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby iloveny18 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:06 pm

It's really too hard to tell at this point. TJ had a bad second half mainly due to grossman being hurt and sucky QB play(along with no WRs to scare anybody). This year though, they have, although a rookie, a not bad qb plus they have mushy who's a pretty good reciever, so they have the means to keep D's honest.

As a TJ owner, I got to be concerned though. I'm hoping that he continues this streak so I can trade him, but TJ's success might just be delaying the inevitable. I predict that at around week 10 is when benson gets significant carries, if not starter #s, then at least enough to hurt TJ's value
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Posse » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:09 pm

Another thing is that city has not had a great running back since Walter.
Posse
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby caneblood » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:36 pm

I would think as long as he's producing they will only give Benson a coulpe carries a game. The moment he isn't running as well (not sure that will happen) they will give Benson a few more carries to see how he does.

Bottom line is as long as they are in contention they will play the guy that gives them the best shot at winning. Once they are out of contention (if they fall out), you would see Benson getting more carries regardless of who gives them the better shot at winning.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:58 pm

Well, I was going to say the Bears can't keep playing Detroit and Cinci every week to make TJ look good since TJ has perennially looked dreadful against decent/good defenses, but then I looked at their schedule and realized that they can. The Bears pretty much never go more than one game in a row without playing a bottom feeder run D so who knows, maybe TJ will keep putting up good numbers.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby MadScott » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:01 pm

I agree that they will continue to play the hot hand so long as the can stay with in reach in that division. Heck, they are not even a whole game out of the lead currently. After that, one would have to believe that they would give Benson the chance to play. They certainly didn't spend that high of a pick on him just to sit.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:55 pm

I've been saying all preseason, TJ isn't going anywhere unless he completely implodes or he gets injured. They might starting giving Benson more carries when they're officially eliminated from any kind of playoff deal... but TJ is actually a pretty decent back and will keep is job.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:34 am

There are Three reasons why T. Jones is gonna get most of the action and never lose his spot injury notwithstanding:

1) he is an excellent runner that will keep producing against the Bears' soft schedule. He has busted longer runs, and also punched it in from the goaline.

2) The bears are not a good passing team, so if they get behind and need to pass then T. Jones will certainly be their back of choice as he can catch it very well.

3) T. Jones is better at pass protection than a rookie runner who doesn't know the system, which is critical when you have a rookie qb who needs good protection to get the ball out.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby footballchick23 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:02 am

By the looks of the teams in the NFC North, it's possible that CHI may be in contention for a while! I believe if T. Jones can stay healthy, there's no reason for Benson to take over. Jones was hampered last year by that foot injury, but started off the season well (as well as you can with a crappy QB). Lovie's main concern is winning games and he'll use whatever back is necessary to do so. If Orton can step it up a little and get the passing game going, there's no reason they won't be in contention for a possible NFC North championship.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk