When Will Benson Take Over? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When Will Benson Take Over?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:28 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
moonhead wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:It's only a matter of time..

Thomas Jones = turd

that's funny. how do you come to that conclusion?

Its because he played in ARI 3-5 years ago and thats the guy Kensat remembers. Kensat has held a longtime infatuation with TJ and this is his way of showing affection. :-b

When was the last time Thomas Jones played a good game against a quality defense? Oh yeah, it hasn't happened yet.

When was the last time Thomas Jones playedd an entire NFL season, oh yeah that hasn't happened yet.

When was the last time Thomas Jones locked down a starting job? Last year. What do they do the following year? Bear's go out and draft a RB #4 overall...
---

Why do Thomas Jones' failures always get blamed on something/someone other than himself?

Thomas Jones is only starting for the Bear's right now because of the early easy schedule and due to the fact that Benson held out and messed up. But I can guarantee you, that the Bear's are going to look smart in the end when Thomas Jones fails yet another time. They've realized, just like a few saavy fantasy owners out there, that you simply CANNOT rely on Thomas Jones, even if he has a good game now and then, he is still a turd.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:05 pm

The Guru wrote:once benson is able to pick up blitzs in the passing game and knows the playbook well enough he will get as many carries as tj.

thats really up too benson though. i don't think this has much to do with tj playing well or not. once benson is ready the bears are going to use him.

I would agree with this if only we weren't dealing with the Bears coaches, who have shown a consistent tendency to give a player a job, which is then his unless he totally explodes (as in Chad Hutchinson). The exception this year is Chris Harris getting the starting job, which I think was due to Ron Rivera actually having a clue.

But back to Benson. If history is any indication, Lovie will not give Benson much of a chance until TJones gets injured or totally fails. Look at Justin Gage, who still starts ahead of Mark Bradley despite Bradley outplaying him. Look at Hutch, who Lovie held on to until the team practically mutinied. Look at Grossman, where Lovie totally refused to have any kind of competition for him, driving away any veteran from signing with the Bears.

Last week when there was an opportunity to put in Benson, we saw Adrian Peterson instead, a guy who is felt to be an awful blocker which is supposedly the knock on Benson. Don't expect logic to win the day here.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:29 am

I think Benson will start getting more carries sooner rather than later (by week 8 I figure he will start over Jones).

Jones just hasn't shown me he can consistently perform at a high level.

I also think that Benson wasn't on the field because it was wet. As long as Jones was performing well, there was no reason to risk injury to the best RB the Bears have had in a long time.

I have little faith in Jones playing consistently at a high level.
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dmville » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:32 am

Peterson was in there blocking because he actually knows the schemes. Showing up for camp and playing a few pre-season games gave him the edge up on that even if his blocking ability is subpar. Plus, why put the "future" in there to pick up a blitzing LB and get smushed.

Another thing to keep in mind is whether the Oline is gonna be healthy or care about blocking for CB come week 8-10 if a switch is made w the Bears faltering. I just don't think he'll be of much fantasy use this year at all, at least not enough to put him in your lineup over anyother starting back.
Dmville
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:24 am

Thomas Jones = turd

Benson owner. :-)
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:00 pm

Azrael wrote:

Thomas Jones = turd

Yeah, no kidding. Kensat30 is unusually obsessed with equating T. Jones to a turd.........
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:49 pm

Azrael wrote:

Thomas Jones = turd

I don't own Benson in any leagues, and I don't think he is really even all that special.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby petedog9 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:53 pm

Its already starting.......

Cedric Benson Sep 28 10:46p
John Mullin, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears RB Cedric Benson is getting increased repetitions in practice and will be on the field more when the team returns from their BYE week, including stints with RB Thomas Jones. When Benson and Jones are on the field together, defenses typically will respond with standard three-linebacker packages. That will allow the Bears to move Jones, the team's No. 2 pass catcher, out of the backfield and into open-field matchups against linebackers in which Jones has a decided advantage. "We definitely have a plan to get them on the field at the same time," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:57 pm

Don't forget how Jones looked at the beginning of last year.

Wk1- 67/2
Wk2- 152/1
Wk3- 110/1
---
Then look at the true Thomas Jones shows up:

Wk4 - 32/0
Wk6- 97/0
Wk7- 52/1
Wk8- 1/0
Wk9/10- INJURED
Wk11- 59/0
Wk12- 46/0
Wk13- 49/0
Wk14- 26/0
Wk15- 40/0
-----
Wk16- 109/0
Wk17- 108/2

Then he looks good enough at the end of a miserable 2004 season to make people believe in him. He had a good start and good end to the season, forget the failures in the middle. Let's blame his failures on the loss of Rex freaking Grossman! Forget that Anthony Thomas was getting it done when Thomas Jones was out. Just like in 2003 when Chicago bit on the Thomas Jones hype because of a string of decent games for Tampa. They went out and overpaid for a mirage and made him their featured RB.

---

Fast forward to this year?

31/1
139/2
106/1

How long until he dashes dreams and falls apart? Chicago has already cut bait on the guy, he's only starting until he inevitably fails. I don't think he will get a chance late in the season to fool another team into giving him a chance to be their guy. Thomas Jones is a career role player.

Like I've said before, just wait and see what happens to this guy. Benson will take over and that's a fact.

Thomas Jones = turd.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Ummm, if memory serves, T. Jones had some foot issues, right? I'm not saying that it's an excuse, but he was definitely hampered by an injury last year.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk