When Will Benson Take Over? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When Will Benson Take Over?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benm3218 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:08 pm

Benson has yet to do ANYTHING special in a game.

Why is everyone so sure he'll be better than Jones????

Thats ludicrous. Wait to see if he is any good before anointing him saviour.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby petedog9 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:20 pm

That dont even have to show that they can handle the job if they are drafted as high as Benson was. When a team invest that high of a pick and that much $$$ they have to get him on the field to justify their selection. Look at JP losman. That guy isnt ready but he is a #1 pick so he is out there......
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby iloveny18 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:48 pm

Here's some news from yahoo

Cedric Benson: Still Has a Ways to Go

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Thursday, September 29, 2005
Update: According to running backs coach Tim Spencer, Benson "has a ways to go" before becoming the Bears' starting running back, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Recommendation: "I know when you draft a guy with the fourth pick of the first round, you expect him to play," Spencer said of Benson. "But if you want him to be a player, don't give the guy a job. Make him earn it. And when he earns it - if he earns it - then he is the guy. But in my estimation right now, he has a ways to go." As is evident by his zero carry performance in last week's loss, the Bears are in no hurry to give Benson an expanded role in the offense, especially with Thomas Jones running so well. Right now, it appears that owners who drafted Benson as a sleeper this year are going to have to wait a while for the rookie to make a fantasy impact.

You know that when the coach is saying he got a ways to go, then you know he really DOES have a while untill he can get some carries.
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:08 pm

I'm definitely a first class passenger on the "Thomas Jones is a turd" train.

The only thing TJ has ever been good at is making excuses for why he's in his 6th year and still has never run for 1000 yards. I'd go into the reasons now, but they usually get ignored unless they're in response to something in particular, so I'll wait for that since it's undoubtedly coming.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby fantasizing » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:37 pm

Yeah, those are tough words by the coach, but it's just a matter of time before senior management starts picking at him to start playing their high value investment.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:47 pm

fantasizing wrote:Yeah, those are tough words by the coach, but it's just a matter of time before senior management starts picking at him to start playing their high value investment.

Now this is an interesting POV & one I'm inclined to agree with. It might be different if Orton was doing well as a system QB right now, but after his 5? pick showing last week no one is too worried about that. I think at some point management is going to start leaning on the coaching staff in an interest to see their newest toy out there.

I will admit that TJ has done better than I thought he would, but that's only b/c I don't have much respect for Thomas Jones & didn't bother to look at his early opposing Ds. I don't know, it all seems like a bit of a moot point to me. Benson hasn't been looking too special even when he is getting carries...
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:55 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Don't forget how Jones looked at the beginning of last year.

Wk1- 67/2
Wk2- 152/1
Wk3- 110/1
---
Then look at the true Thomas Jones shows up:

Wk4 - 32/0
Wk6- 97/0
Wk7- 52/1
Wk8- 1/0
Wk9/10- INJURED
Wk11- 59/0
Wk12- 46/0
Wk13- 49/0
Wk14- 26/0
Wk15- 40/0
-----
Wk16- 109/0
Wk17- 108/2

Then he looks good enough at the end of a miserable 2004 season to make people believe in him. He had a good start and good end to the season, forget the failures in the middle. Let's blame his failures on the loss of Rex freaking Grossman! Forget that Anthony Thomas was getting it done when Thomas Jones was out. Just like in 2003 when Chicago bit on the Thomas Jones hype because of a string of decent games for Tampa. They went out and overpaid for a mirage and made him their featured RB.

---

Fast forward to this year?

31/1
139/2
106/1

How long until he dashes dreams and falls apart? Chicago has already cut bait on the guy, he's only starting until he inevitably fails. I don't think he will get a chance late in the season to fool another team into giving him a chance to be their guy. Thomas Jones is a career role player.

Like I've said before, just wait and see what happens to this guy. Benson will take over and that's a fact.

Thomas Jones = turd.

Hilarious. I don't even know the story behind the whole Thomas jones thing. But I findthis Hilarious, indeed. :-D
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk