Archuleta Targets Shockey. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Archuleta Targets Shockey.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Archuleta Targets Shockey.

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:48 pm

nypost.com

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

September 5, 2003 -- Jeremy Shockey isn't saying much these days, but one of the Rams' heavy hitters is saying plenty about Jeremy Shockey.

Adam Archuleta, the hard-tackling strong safety who patrols the St. Louis secondary, has turned the impending confrontation with the Giants into a personal battle with Shockey, who will play wearing a flak jacket to protect a cracked rib.

"I'm sitting here over the summer getting ready for the season, I watch SportsCenter and I see Jeremy Shockey running over these DBs who are 40 pounds lighter than him, so I'm not too impressed with the tackling styles of these DBs," Archuleta said this week in an interview on WFAN. "Being the voice of all DBs across the NFL I'm going to have to bring a little something else to the table this game."

One of the fears held by the Giants is that Shockey's outspoken ways and outrageous comments would make him a target, and that is exactly what he'll be in Sunday's season opener.

"I think when you talk and you make your voice heard in the national media and in the papers and on ESPN I think you have a bit of a target on your chest," Archuleta continued. "Guys kind of take that as a personal challenge, you're going to be the guy to shut him up, you're going to be the guy to show him how to play in this league."

Baiting Shockey has rarely worked out well for a defender. Colts defensive back David Gibson tried it last season and Shockey went out of his way to flatten Gibson after a catch. Julian Peterson talked tough leading up to the playoff game against the 49ers and Shockey tried to inflict pain on Peterson in that game.

"I expect nothing less from Jeremy Shockey," an unafraid Archuleta said. "If he doesn't go out on the field on Sunday and look up No. 31 and try to run him over I'd be very disappointed in him. I'm going to look for him to look me up and he can look for me to look him up."

Asked who is the better tight end, Shockey or the Ravens' Todd Heap, Archuleta at first said he'd reserve judgment, then chose Heap, his former Arizona State teammate. "I got to roll with my guy Todd, that's my boy," Archuleta said.

The Giants know all about Archuleta. As a rookie two years ago, he made a game-saving hit on Joe Jurevicius, causing a fumble to derail a potential winning rally. Now he's set his sights on Shockey.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Homeless » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:55 pm

Heh, I hope Archuleta, breaks more bones in shockeys body.

(Sorry Shockey owners)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:56 pm

Homeless wrote:Heh, I hope Archuleta, breaks more bones in shockeys body.

(Sorry Shockey owners)

I agree; homophobia is too much a part of the NFL (and sports in general).
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:00 pm

Julian Peterson talked tough leading up to the playoff game against the 49ers and Shockey tried to inflict pain on Peterson in that game.

One of the great plays in that game was when Shockey caught a pass and was headed for what looked like an easy TD. Then he sees Peterson and heads right for him (assuming he was planning on running him over en route to the end zone). Peterson stuffed him and the Giants failed to score. One of the psychological turning points in the game.

Admittedly, Shockey won the battle in that game though. He did make a couple huge mistakes that could have won it for the Giants however.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joester » Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:10 pm

Everyone on that Rams team is gonna be gunning for shockey's rib......................My prediction is that he re injures it
joester
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Challie » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:26 pm

I love Archuleta. He's like a combination of Rodney Harrison and Gary Fencik. (Am I dating myself with Fencik?)

It's it funny how bigots & homophobes tend to be just stupid people ... go figure.

If Shockey makes himself a target and gets knocked onto the IR this year, Shockey owners get no pity from me spending a 3rd round pick on a TE with 2 career TDs. Though East Coast media bias is a pet peeve of mine. Does it show? ;-7
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:29 pm

Julian Peterson is a scary guy. I watched him shut down Gonzo earlier in the year, and him stuffing Shockey at the goal line when he tried to get cute and bowl him over was great. Shockey has definitely made himself a target to some of the harder hitting LBs and SSs in the league.

As far as Shockey being overrated... You can make a case for it, with the 2 TDs and all, but that's more of a product of the Giants ineptness in the redzone the first half of last year. When you see what he can do, look at his size and ability, you can't help but think that he can score double digit TDs in a season. He definitely is going to be one of the top TEs in the league and being from NY he will get more exposure than the other top guys like Gonzo, Heap and McMichael (yeah I said it!).
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheGZA » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:39 pm

i'm sure the giants did everything they could to try and keep shockey's injury under wraps, because every single week guys are going to want to show up shockey and they now have a clear target in his ribs to aim for.
TheGZA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AF » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:47 pm

Kinda surprised that you don't see more guys wearing the rib pads that you see on QBs. I used to wear those in HS and you could get hit rather hard in the side and not feel it much at all. Would make it much harder to crack a rib. As far as Shockey goes, I don't like him either even though he's on my team. He's one of those guys that as much as you hate him he is going to help your team. I see him being even more productive this year.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:49 pm

screw shockey.. i just hope amani toomer burns the rams terrible db's..
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk