What if P Manning doesn't throw a TD this week??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What if P Manning doesn't throw a TD this week???

Moderator: Football Moderators

What if P Manning doesn't throw a TD this week???

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:51 am

...if P Manning doesn't throw a TD this week I'm quitting fantasy football....
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stepsinsc » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:29 am

Good for you.
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What if P Manning doesn't throw a TD this week???

Postby tomkatt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:16 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:...if P Manning doesn't throw a TD this week I'm quitting fantasy football....

No need to quit. Just trade him for a QB that isn't playing conservative because of a good running game and a surprisingly good defense behind him. ;-D
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gnu314 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:20 am

Or don't be impatient and stupid and lose faith in the best QB in football because they're actually playing to win and not light up your fantasy roster.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Wesley Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:52 am

Eli is the new Peyton. Ain't you heard?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:59 am

While I'm not predicting ultimate doom and gloom for Peyton Manning here, I'm wondering where this concept that the reason Manning's numbers are down is because he's playing to win is coming from? I mean, take a look at the Cleveland game. Cleveland had a chance to win, right till the very end. It wasn't a game where Indy could've or should've been running the ball just to chew up clock and a protect a lead. A 7 point lead is not good enough in the NFL, you need at least a 2 score lead before you pull that stuff.

So despite being in a close game, with one of the NFL's bottom dwellers, Manning still couldn't throw a TD pass to put the game away, and seal the win. That's very legit cause for concern.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:51 am

I say if he doesn't throw a TD, everyone should dump him. Then I can go and grab him in every league and laugh when he returns to form, which he will.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby footballchick23 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:56 am

Now that they have a decent defense that can keep the opponents from scoring on every possession, Peyton doesn't have to put up huge #'s as insurance. MIN's defense was a problem last year too and look what C-Pepp had to do just to make sure the defense wouldn't give it up at the end.

I'd still start Peyton every game if I had him....
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chaucer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm

maddog60 wrote:While I'm not predicting ultimate doom and gloom for Peyton Manning here, I'm wondering where this concept that the reason Manning's numbers are down is because he's playing to win is coming from? I mean, take a look at the Cleveland game. Cleveland had a chance to win, right till the very end. It wasn't a game where Indy could've or should've been running the ball just to chew up clock and a protect a lead. A 7 point lead is not good enough in the NFL, you need at least a 2 score lead before you pull that stuff.

THANK YOU. Exactly. The entire fantasy community is taking this attitude that Peyton is intentionally underperforming in order to open up the running game. Every single game INDy has played, they could have lost. Somehow the fact that, if your quarterback plays well, you ALWAYS have a better chance to win, doesn't seem to matter.

I'm not saying Peyton is going to have last year's year again, but I am saying that he and Dungy aren't sitting around right now, thrilling at how well the offense is playing.

One last thing on this topic:

Edge's rushes/game through three games last year: 24
Edge's rushes/game so far this year: 25.67

1.5 more carries per game, across three close games, just doesn't signal a radical shift in offensive philosophy to me.
Chaucer
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby wizbang » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:00 pm

Peyton will return to form soon enough. I have absolutely NO worries there. As long as the defense continues to play well he won't be as incredible as last year but he'll still be one of the best 2 or 3 QBs in FFL and he'll still have monster weeks every few games.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
wizbang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk