Fighting Sioux - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Fighting Sioux

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should the Fighting Sioux change their name?

Yes, college teams have changed their names numerous times over less than this.
14%
No, it's their college. If they want to have a potentially offensive team name, let them.
86%
I have no opinion on this matter and I have no idea why I even decided to vote.
No votes

Total votes : 14

Fighting Sioux

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm

I have my own opinion on the matter, but I'm curious what people at the Cafe think. Should the Fighting Sioux be forced to change their name? They are asking for a congressional stance on the matter. So, if you were voting, what would you support?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:19 pm

I do not have a problem with college(or pro for that matter) team nicknames. It may be because I am not of Indian decent, which most of the offensive to some nicknames are. There are always going to be people upset.
Blue Devils - the Christian group
Eagles - the conservation group
Fighting Sioux - the Indian group
Hurricanes - the emotional group
There are plenty of nicknames that could have a case against them. Why not change all team nicknames to school(team) colors that should solve this.

I don't think these team nicknames are meant or were created to be taken as derogitory. Keep the names!!!!
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Re: Fighting Sioux

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:51 pm

Bennett4prez wrote:I have my own opinion on the matter, but I'm curious what people at the Cafe think. Should the Fighting Sioux be forced to change their name? They are asking for a congressional stance on the matter. So, if you were voting, what would you support?

If they do, then does Notre Dame also have to adopt a new mascot?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 am

I'm not sure if this is the politically correct way to look at this, but if some college decided to name themsleves the Cafeholics, I would be psyched. It isn't meant to defend anyone, but at the same time, why can't they be just as good of a franchise being named the "Hornets" or "Hippopotamuses" or "Cafeholics"
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The_Dude » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:33 pm

The reason that this has become an issue is because the Sioux tribes in North Dakota do not want the school to be named the Sioux. In Florida, for instance, the Seminole tribe has officially taken the position that they're ok with the name - and I'm sure if you polled most Irish people, they wouldn't vote to change the name at Notre Dame.

You have to understand the historical context here. The racism in North Dakota towards Native peoples is pretty awful. A co-worker of mine from ND used to refer frequently to the "drunk scum-bag Indians" where he grew up -- Not happy stuff.

The University of North Dakota is a public institution -- the Government has forked Native Americans over for decades, so the least they can do is change the name of a stupid mascot, if the people find it offensive.

In this case they do... open and shut case.

Whoa, the Dude got all political there for a second - how very unDude of me...

And remember, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Duder

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Return to College Football