Spurrier Speaks on Canidate/Betts Situation. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Spurrier Speaks on Canidate/Betts Situation.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Spurrier Speaks on Canidate/Betts Situation.

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:41 pm

Gary Fitzgerald, Redskins.com

Head Coach Steve Spurrier clarified the Redskins' running back workload on Friday, saying he would continue to divide duties among the team's group of tailbacks. "I don't know if we have an exact plan, but if one running back is going better than the other, he'll probably get more carries," Spurrier said.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki Fan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:16 pm

So, in other words, Betts is presently the go-to guy until Canidate can catch up? :)
Tiki Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby terpfan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:32 pm

GO BETTS!!!
GO TRUNG!!!
GO MORTON!!!

GO... ahhh WHOEVER! :-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:55 pm

I don't see why everybody got all in a huff over one game.

Canidate does not have to 'catch-up'. If the 'Skins feel a quicker back running to the outside will get the yards, Canidate will get the ball. If the want to bash it up the middle, it will be Betts.

Some teams pursue sideline to sideline better than they stuff the middle, and vice-versas. This is what the 'Skins, or any team without a true feature back will look to exploit. They will use what works in a particular game.

Neither guy will be 'the guy', because Spurrier doesn't want to have to make a change when 'the guy' isn't performing. Splitting carries and going with the hot runner will mostly eliminate that scenario. Neither back is ready, or talented enough, to be a feature back.

I don't even think this is that big of a development. I was never convinced there was a legit starter at RB in WAS. I thought LaMont Jordan coming in and staying in from 1st and goal thru 4th and goal was alot more disturbing to fantasy owners.

Martin was a borderline top 20 back, but he's just another RB splitting carries now to me. He's Onterrio Smith, but older and slower. He's Trung Canidate with more stability and less agility. He's Michael Pittman without the threat of jail-time.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:07 pm

dgroundhog wrote:I don't see why everybody got all in a huff over one game.
is ready, or talented enough, to be a feature back.

I don't even think this is that big of a development. I was never convinced there was a legit starter at RB in WAS. I thought LaMont Jordan coming in and staying in from 1st and goal thru 4th and goal was alot more disturbing to fantasy owners.

Yes, I definitely thought that was the most important information that came out of that game. That and Vinny can't throw a deep ball, the Jets can't cover a #1 receiver and the Redskins run defense might not be all that bad.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk