Cancel out theory... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cancel out theory...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cancel out theory...

Postby fishsauce9 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:38 am

What's everyone take on starting the primary target of the opposing team's QB for non-stud WRs?

For example:

-If your opponent starts Brees, is it in your advantage to start Mccardell?

-For Culpepper, Taylor?

- For Bledsoe, Keyshawn?

Obviously, if you have a stud WR, you will most likley start that stud, but in these situations, do you use the WR of the opposing team's QB, even if you have a slightly better matchup with another WR?
fishsauce9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:43 am

Depends on the situation...

For example, if you are deciding between two studs that are really close in your rankings, one who happens to be the #1 target of the oppositions QB, then I would start that guy....

But, never bench a stud just so you can start the #1 target of the opposing QB....

FOR EXAMPLE:

If you are deciding between Steve Smith and Torry Holt, and the opposing QB is Jake Delhomme, then I would start Smith....

HOWEVER, if you are deciding between Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne, and the opposing QB is Peyton Manning, I would still opt to start Smith, because he is the bigger stud.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:43 am

play your best options no matter what....period.

Dont worry about the other guys team, just field your best
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:53 am

What about if you had Joe Horn, Curtis, and Housh (already starting Harrison), but your opponent had Bulger...would you start Horn depsite the hammy? Housh because it's a good matchup? Curtis because the guy could have a big week, but the TD's cancel each other out?
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:53 am

McCardell isn't even Brees' #1 Option....Gates is.

Say you started both Keenan and Gates and the SD pass attack was weak that day....he gets bad points from one player...you get bad points from two.

The strategy only works for big time hookups...and even then, you should start the WR anyway (Chad&Carson, Terrell&Donovan, Jake&Steve, Kerry&Randy, Marc&Torry, Trent&Frisman).
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:53 am

Both Pllindsey and Flux are a bazillion percent correct,
What's also really important is try not to over think what your doing. Go with / stick with what's been working for you regardless.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fishsauce9 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:43 am

What about situations where the matchup is virtually equal or slightly favoring the "other" WR. Am i correct to say that you would then always start the WR of the opposing QB?\

I don't want to turn this into a Who do I start thread, becuase i also wanted people's opions on the cancel out theory. But to give you a better idea of my situation:

My opponent starts Brees @ NE
I have to decide if i should start Mccardell @ NE or A. Johnson @ CIN. In my mind, the matchups are similar (you may disagree). But, my question remains the same. Which WR do you go with in this situation?
fishsauce9
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:57 am

I think I'd have to say McCardell. I just don't see Carr being able to throw successfully against CIN, even when they're down by a lot and HOU is playing catch-up. Brees is likely to throw a couple INT's, but should be able to get some good throws to McCardell. I don't think you'll get spectacular production from either, but I like McCardell's chances more!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ajax » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Cancel out the "cancel out" theory.

Start the players on your roster that you think will earn your team the most fantasy points, REGARDLESS of who is on your opponent's roster.
Ajax
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:08 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
The strategy only works for big time hookups...and even then, you should start the WR anyway (Chad&Carson, Terrell&Donovan, Jake&Steve, Kerry&Randy, Marc&Torry, Trent&Frisman).

You forgot Ratty&Lloyd, Losman&Evans and Frerotte&Chambers

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Next

Return to Football Talk