Is Antwain Smith going to kill my team? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Antwain Smith going to kill my team?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Antwain Smith going to kill my team?

Postby Rockiesfan » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:33 am

I'm in a 12 team league that plays QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/RB, D and K.

My top 2 RB's are great -- Faulk and Dillon.

However. the only legitimate RB left in rd 7 was Antwain Smith. I know he is starting, but is it an RBBC situation? What do you think I should expect out of him?

If I have to, I can move my 3rd WR into the lineup, which is either Andre Johnson or David Patten, neither of which are great options.

Should I try and trade to get a 3rd RB, or is Smith good enough to keep?
Rockiesfan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Dakota » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:11 am

I'm in a league with the same roster set up as yours. It looks like everybody in my leage with 1 or 2 exceptions have the same questions for the 3rd RB. Probably 1/3 are starting WRs in the RB/WR slot. With 12 teams trying to field 3 starting runningbacks, that's 36 starting runningbacks that are required. Last time I checked there weren't that many teams much less full time RBs. If you can get another dedicated starter go for it, but chances are it will be hard to get.
Dakota
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:22 am

I think he is eternally in the doghouse in NE. I benched him a couple hours ago, but read how teams tend to run on the Bills and Smith might actually be a decent play this week. He should at least get the ball at the goal line. I don't believe Kevin Faulk can be the guy.

I'm not real big on him at the moment, but I see potential for him to be a decent #3 RB. Smith in the 7th isn't so bad. I think I got him there in the one league I drafted him.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TheGZA » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:44 pm

the game tomorrow will go a long way in determining NE's backfield situation....i think that the only way faulk finds his way into the endzone is if he breaks off a 15+ yard run as smith is the bigger guy and the more formidable redzone runner.
TheGZA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:28 pm

As long as faulk stays healthy you'll be fine. you may lose bye weeks, but in a 12 team league, no one has good rb depth. be glad you have 2 good starters.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jebatzel » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:43 pm

hoping I can trade Smith since he is my 2nd back.

JB
jebatzel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:31 am

jebatzel wrote:hoping I can trade Smith since he is my 2nd back.

JB

I wouldn't look to trade him when his value is low. If you are low on RB, depth is probably as important as quality. I'd keep him, unless you must give up a RB in return. More likely you took WR or QB in 2 of the first 3 rounds, and pobably filled in WR later. I'd try to trade somewhere you are strong. Nobody is going to be hot for Antowain at the moment.

Martin's value went down, his owner soured and might be worth talking to. His value is down, so don't give up a top WR option.

It's an off chance that you have him, but Donte Stallworth' hammies are acting up a bit, a chronic problem with him. I'd peddle him for Onterrio Smith, Olandis Gary types. Josh Reed is another type of WR I'd deal away for a RB sleeper.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:31 am

Smith as a 2nd RB could kill you, but as a flex player he shouldn't be that bad. I'm sure everyone else has marginal running backs or third or fourth string WRs playing the position, so your marginal back shouldn't hurt you all that much.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk