Brandon Jacobs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brandon Jacobs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brandon Jacobs

Postby RubeRiot » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm

Is Brandon Jacobs the back of the future for NYG, or is he always going to be a situational/short yardage back?
RubeRiot
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:48 pm

1. Tiki just got signed to an extension.
2. Jacobs onlys gets short-yardage carries.

Draw your own conclusion.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:49 pm

Well, he was a 4th round pick...so he probably wasn't on their minds as an "answer" at RB when they drafted him, but he is surely making a decent name for himself. He is a huge guy, so that would probably be a negative for him. But, there have been guys like him that have had very good NFL careers at starting RB. Eddie George is the obvious example.

Tiki is 30 right now, so he's probably got 3-4 more good years left. Jacobs could conceivably step in (or phase him out) in the coming years and get a lot of seasoning before then.

However, the problem I would see the Giants having is that they see Jacobs in this role so much this year that he never gets a chance to advance. They could use a 1st/2nd rounder on another RB in a few years and go from there.

Based on all of this, there's probably a decent chance that Jacobs becomes a T.J. Duckett clone down the line. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:56 pm

I do think there's a very good chance Jacobs becomes a Duckett clone. As for whether or not he's the Giants back of the future: well that would be great but we don't even know if the guy can hold up under a full work load.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RubeRiot » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:02 pm

Has anyone seen him in anything besides short yardage situations? Was he good in college? Does he have the skills necessary to be a #1 back, or can he only run straight forward and run people over?
RubeRiot
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Amazinz » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:17 pm

RubeRiot wrote:Has anyone seen him in anything besides short yardage situations? Was he good in college? Does he have the skills necessary to be a #1 back, or can he only run straight forward and run people over?

I never saw him in college. It's pretty tough to guess if he can be a #1 back. During the season he has only been brought in for short yardage situations. In preseason he played well and has top end speed and lateral movement that is surprising for a guy his size. But it was also against second string defenses. The cons are that he has a lot of body and would get hit a lot as an every down back and he runs upright.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:23 pm

not that you can get much feeling for a guy off of paper here is his nfl.com prospect profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/jacobs_brandon
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:59 pm

He's got to learn to run with his shoulders down. If he does that, he could be a big force on everydown, but until he does, he'll never be used outside of short-yardage.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:02 pm

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk