Onterrio Smith = Overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Onterrio Smith = Overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Onterrio Smith = Overrated?

Postby CC » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:23 am

The sleeper of the year, the next Clinton Portis? I think this is a huge overstatement. On a team that will have Michael Bennett back by Week 8 and has a guy who stole TDs from an established 1300 yard rusher, I dont really see how he can flourish. Plus, until Doug Chapman's injury wasn't Chapman going to be the starting back on opening day?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:49 am

I've previously stated that Moe Williams becomes the RB sleeper of the year if he wins the starting job, since he gets the goalline carries to begin with and still had a 4.9 YPC average.

If Onterrio wins it, he becomes a #2 quality back because of yardage, but he probably won't get double digit touchdowns.

Most current news out of Minnesota right now, is Doug Chapman might be healthy enough to backup Williams on Sunday.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Over-Rated?

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:30 pm

Hmmm,

O. Smith has been going very near the end of all my drafts this season, so how can he be over-rated? Basically people are just stashing him on the bench in case he comes on strong. If he morphs into Clinton Portis, then you slap him into your #2 spot; if he doesn't amount to much, you haven't lost anything.

Over-rated is someone who's drafted much higher than they're likely to perform ... say Kurt Warner who may prove to be no further than a few boo birds away from the bench.

Not surprisingly, it's all ready looking like Trung Canidate was over-rated. He's been projected as a 2nd and 3rd RB ... which he may be for the Redskins but isn't for fantasy football. Betts looks like he's going to emerge as the featured back. Maybe after a year in Spurrier's system, Canidate will into his own, but his play for the Ram's last year was pathetic and he didn't show anything special in Thursday's game. His elusiveness in the open field makes him a very real threat, but until Spurrier designs plays to get him open, he's going to be an also-ran in fantasy football. With Betts likely to get the lion's share of carries and the goal line work, I think we can say that Canidate is already a disappointment. He's the first regular season fantasy casualty, but there will be many more to follow.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:03 pm

I don't think Canidate was overrated. Most drafts I was in this year, he went near the bottom as a guy to stash on your bench "just in case". I did get a little giddy in one league and drafted him in the 6th round over Garner and Shockey, but I was ummm drunk at the time... Yeah that's my story and I'm sticking to it. =)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:25 pm

I don't think you can say onterrio smith is overrated. he was taken in the 4th rd by the vikes. he's being taken late in most drafts. Trung is the epitome of overrated. he was taken in most drafts in the 4th-6th rd and was expected to be a #2/#3 back on most fantasy teams. Truth is he's a bust. I hope betts beats him out entirely so i can use him.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:52 pm

I don't think you can say he is a bust after one game just yet. After four games, then that's more likely, unless he pulls a William Green the last few games in the season.

Anyone who thought that he'd be a #2 back right away is a moron I think. He had the POTENTIAL to be, but you don't draft him like he already is one. You go with the proven guys at first, then you get speculative with the #3 and #4 guys and hope they become starters at some point.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:17 pm

exactly, sleepers are meant to go in the late rounds. in an early draft, held offline before Yahoo even opened up, I got Zereoue and Buckhalter as my #3 and #4 backs with picks 106 & 134, behind Portis and S.Davis. I traded Bucky and Bruce for K-Rob, and now Bucky is in a more limited role while I have Amos as a very solid 3rd RB. It's all about smart drafting...take sure-things for your starters, and take risks with your bench players, ie: Streets, Reed, Amos, Ramsey, etc.
LBJackal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:47 pm

onterrio smith isnt "overated" but i dont think hell be a stud this year... moe williams has the starting job and 11 tds last year with goaline carries... if anything he will be a sleeper and onterrio could be too but not till he becomes the starter.
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby terpfan » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:34 pm

i saw him going in the 6th-8th rounds. thats overated at the moment.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tjhksig » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:02 am

All the hype has made him a bit overrated, and I wouldn't take him before round 10. BUT, wasn't the same talk about Portis last year? Didn't he leapfrog some past 1,000 yard rushers to go off? Just sayin'...........Sometimes hype is justified......sometimes not.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk