Waiver Wire patience - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Waiver Wire patience

Moderator: Football Moderators

Waiver Wire patience

Postby Challie » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:54 am

I just read dozens of "what about this trade" posts and was thinking about how we all are in such a hurry to improve our teams. It's a long time between Sundays, and most owners are too in love with their players to give decent win-win value in trades.

But this is what I have to say: Be patient. Your best improvements are going to come on the waiver wire.

Over the course of the season there will invariably be 3 red-hot RBs and 1-2 red hot QBs coming available purely because of injuries. (Star WRs rarely come out of nowhere because of injuries; that's one reason why I'm such a big fan of drafting Moss, TO, Holt, Harrison or CJ within the first 2.5 rounds).

Keep the faith, and if you're alert enough to watch for injuries on Sundays, you'll get there. Just work a little harder than the other guys; most people at the Cafe do that, and end up succeeding as a result.

Then again, maybe there is something to be said for getting a life. NAH!
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:54 am

100% correct.

Last year was my first in FF, and the other owners in my $$$ league made fun of the fact that I made (and still make) a lot of WW moves. They weren't laughing when my team won the league with the help of the likes of Volek, Evans, etc.

You still have to draft well (especially in leagues that inhibit WW transactions in one way or another) and know enough about football to play the right matchups, but making trades just for the sake of making trades is cutting off your nose to spite your face, especially when there's usually a better risk/reward ratio on the WW.

(And finding the Cafe and it's bottomless well of info and opinions don't hurt neither. ;-D )

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ww stud » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:02 pm

great post the ww does win championships. drew bennet took me to the championship in my money league last year. i have made twice as many ww moves as the rest of my league so far this year.
ww stud
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:12 pm

and dont unload all your depth for one star player right now. you never know when an injury pops up and you could use your depth.
whoseyourdaddy12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby a4ce » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:09 pm

I agree but in the league that I'm in, every transaction (ww add/trade) costs $2. I play the ww but I have to kinda look long term on the players versus the weekly match-ups.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Postby PSU All Day » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:30 am

in my league there are no Rb's that you would even look at on the waiver wire. I have 5 starting RB's and someone in my league has 8 RB's on his roster.

I did pick up K Curtis two weeks ago thinking if Bruce or Holt got hurt he would be a good pick up (I was looking for a possible break out player instead of instant help). looks like I am going to get to play him :>)
"There are Lies, Big Lies, and then Statistics"

"Value Based Drafting is your friend!"
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Waiver Wire patience

Postby Always a winner » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:17 am

Challie wrote:(Star WRs rarely come out of nowhere because of injuries; that's one reason why I'm such a big fan of drafting Moss, TO, Holt, Harrison or CJ within the first 2.5 rounds).

That's true most of the time, but don't forget about Muhammad last year.

I completely agree with the post. A lot of people seem to think trading is the only way to improve their teams. WW really is the way to go.
Always a winner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jbones733 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 am

Julius JOnes won many people league last year when he came back, always some gems coming on sindays
SUPERBOWL , Who so start at Wide out ???? please help

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=382588

jbones733
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:24 am

a4ce wrote:I agree but in the league that I'm in, every transaction (ww add/trade) costs $2. I play the ww but I have to kinda look long term on the players versus the weekly match-ups.

For me it's $5, so I know what you mean. Plus it's 14 teams so it's pretty thin.

In my "fun" yahoo league the bench has 9 spots! Not like there is a lot of talent on that wire.

It all depends.
Steve-o
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Retet » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:48 am

Great post --

Just an interesting tid bit -- Last year, our league championship was between the guy who made the most WW transactions and the guy who made the least WW transactions. The guy who made the least, won.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk