Chris Leak is way overrated. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Chris Leak is way overrated.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:59 pm

I was playing in a Saturday afternoon HS game during the UF-Bama game, but after seeing some highlights...boy oh boy. Bagel, you probably know more about him than I do, but how about this freshman backup they have, Josh (?) Portis? Saw him during the UK game, and boy does he have some tools that Meyer would love to use...I almost wish Leak would leave after this year and let this kid take over the reigns...

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:13 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:I was playing in a Saturday afternoon HS game during the UF-Bama game, but after seeing some highlights...boy oh boy. Bagel, you probably know more about him than I do, but how about this freshman backup they have, Josh (?) Portis? Saw him during the UK game, and boy does he have some tools that Meyer would love to use...I almost wish Leak would leave after this year and let this kid take over the reigns...

The biggest thing holding Portis (and Markus Manson) back other than Leak's big name, is that Portis has turned the ball over a lot in practice. It certainly didn't help that he fumbled twice in a half against Kentucky. Word around here is that Manson has been holding onto the ball better and may get the start at RB vs. Miss St, which is exciting because he (like Portis) has a lot of speed and is a playmaker.

Portis' other problem is that he's the exact opposite of Leak when he runs the option. Whereas Leak always looks to give the ball up (pitch it on an option or handoff on a triple option), Portis always wants to keep it himself.

Nonetheless, he is definitely the QB for this offense, and the kid has the speed, moves, and strength to be a bigtime playmaker at QB. I really hope Portis and Manson both start getting in there more soon, as they'll be the core of this team for the next 3-4 years and are the guys that are going to have to carry the offense in Meyer's system.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:26 pm

i was at the LSU-Florida game today, and this kid seems like he is getting worse as a quarterback. We (LSU) turned the ball over 5 times, and Leak was only able to drive the Gators in for 17 points -- and most of that was not Leak doing the driving, it was the running game.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:51 pm

yeah ive heard it from FB before but i had to call out the other guys... and anyways how else was i supposed to work in the 1995 Fiesta bowl???? :-D

BTW Huskers are 5-1. and leading the big 12 north divison. Right now the Huskers could defintely give the Gators a good game and most likely beat them.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:58 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:yeah ive heard it from FB before but i had to call out the other guys... and anyways how else was i supposed to work in the 1995 Fiesta bowl???? :-D

BTW Huskers are 5-1. and leading the big 12 north divison. Right now the Huskers could defintely give the Gators a good game and most likely beat them.

Dude - no one gives a rat's ass about the Cornhuskers. Shut up; you sound like someone who's a well-educated Nebraskan.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Payne Dailey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:03 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:BTW Huskers are 5-1. and leading the big 12 north divison. Right now the Huskers could defintely give the Gators a good game and most likely beat them.

Yeah ok , the Huskers have played Maine, Wake Forest, Pitt, Iowa St., Tx Tech & Baylor. There's no way Nebraska is within 2 TDs of Florida in a game.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:41 pm

mikus wrote:i was at the LSU-Florida game today, and this kid seems like he is getting worse as a quarterback. We (LSU) turned the ball over 5 times, and Leak was only able to drive the Gators in for 17 points -- and most of that was not Leak doing the driving, it was the running game.

Yeah, but Leak and the Gators got screwed over today. In the last drive, Leak threw a 40+ yard pass to one of the receivers down in LSU territory. There was still time on the clock, and they definitely would've had a chance to loft it into the endzone from there. But, offensive pass interference was called on the WR for doing basically nothing.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:00 am

Payne Dailey wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:BTW Huskers are 5-1. and leading the big 12 north divison. Right now the Huskers could defintely give the Gators a good game and most likely beat them.

Yeah ok , the Huskers have played Maine, Wake Forest, Pitt, Iowa St., Tx Tech & Baylor. There's no way Nebraska is within 2 TDs of Florida in a game.

LOL, leading the Big 12 North Division, there's something I wouldn't expect someone to brag about.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:26 am

other than maine we have played quality opponents... Pitt-made it to a BCS game last year, Iowa State- ranked 23 when we beat them, Tech-13th in the country with the best offense in the country, Baylor-no longer the doormat of the big 12, nothing great yet but have defintely improved over the last several years.

Gotta love personal attacks!! keep up the good work guys!!! :-t
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:46 am

Lol, Pitt made a BCS game last year. So what, that was pre-Wannstedt. Oklahoma played for the national title last year, I guess that makes TCU a great team since they beat them this year. We really need a roll-eyes smiley on these boards.

Sorry bud, while I don't deny that the Huskers could give the Gators a game (with our offense, everyone can give us a game), saying the Huskers beat quallity competition is flat out nuts.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to College Football