Brandon Lloyd... the next big thing - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brandon Lloyd... the next big thing

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Fool42 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:55 am

[quote="Cornbread Maxwell"][quote="Fool42"]The SF fans around here are most likely wrong. Homers that have a preference for Battle over Lloyd that turns into hype but doesn't equal truth. See many Bears receivers of the past few years for examples. Wade, Gage ect... a new one every year.[/quote]

So the FACT that Battle has averaged more targets than Lloyd prior to this week is probably a lie too, right? :-?

Listen to the people closest to the situation - they are usually correct.[/quote]

Like you were about anything you said regarding the Tigers in the baseball forums? Homers have too much emotion involved to make good judgements.
Fool42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:11 am

lol - I was accurate more often than I wasnt. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby proKrastinate » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:26 am

i wasn't a homer of battle at all. I still think he will be more productive than Lloyd on average. But thats my opinion and thus far have been proven wrong. There are still many games left, but like it was said before...

Fatansy or not, Alex Smith will more than likely get a chance to start, possibly after the bye week. After which, I would downgrade any expectations you might have (which shouldn't be that much anyway) of any niner be it WR or otherwise.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28 am

In my leagues, it takes 120 receiving yards to equal 1 TD. This makes Lloyd much more valuable than Battle, even if Battle gets more looks, and even if Battle gets more yards.

What you guys are calling "the occasional big play" is something Lloyd has done every game but one. He's got four catches for more than 25 yards (only a few guys have more with 5, nobody has 6), and he's got 3 receiving TDs (tied for 6th in the NFL).

Here's the fact:
As a fantasy producer, Lloyd has been more consistent than Battle.

We'll see what the future holds.

Further, any change in the situation (like Rattay losing the starting job) is just as likely to effect Lloyd positively as negatively. Any change is just as likely to effect Battle negatively as positively.

The argument for Battle is that, since he's supposedly getting more looks, he's more likely to maintain a good production throughout the season. Lloyd is making more out of fewer looks, but is likely to drop off eventually.

The problem with this argument is this: Through Week 4, Battle has 22 targets (passes thrown his way), while Lloyd has 28. Even adjusting for Battle's missing of Week 4 through injury (this is being very kind, since aren't injuries part of football), that means Battle is averaging one-third of a target (or "look") more than Lloyd per game. That's a negligible difference.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:47 am

Battle is out for next week most likely, so there's no point in giving up Lloyd yet. If he's John Taylor, and if you really want to find your Jerry Rice receiver in the offense, then pick up Johnnie Morton for next week... ;-7

I think I'll take my chances with Lloyd for a while, and I'm a 49ers fan (but not anywhere near SF to know what they do in their offense).
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Fool42 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:19 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:lol - I was accurate more often than I wasnt. ;-D

Just giving you some crap because I know how much hype you had for Pena. ;-D
Fool42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:35 am

Fool42 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:lol - I was accurate more often than I wasnt. ;-D

Just giving you some crap because I know how much hype you had for Pena. ;-D

Pena only had 260 ABs - yet still had 18 HRs. :-b
Im just messin - I obviously wanted Pena to do well and there were signs that last yr could be the breakout yr - we all know how that turned out. But hey - how about Chris Shelton eh? ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Fool42 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:04 pm

Each has 3 yrs of NFL EXP

Battle 23 rec 314yrds 2 td's

Lloyd 74 rec 1103yrds 11TD's

Lloyd had much hype last year after showing some flashes in his rookie year. So Lloyd being a good WR is not a new concept.
Fool42
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:32 pm

The 49ers can't even get the ball across the 50 yard line without Arnaz Battle in the starting lineup. Both Lloyd and Battle are integral parts of the 49er passing game, and they have to be used together to be effective. Battle moves the chains and Lloyd stretches the field and makes big plays. And if either of them are injured and not playing, the 49ers are in serious trouble.

Without Battle, Lloyd will not be very successful...

Without Lloyd, Battle will not be very successful...
----

The only reason Lloyd was able to put together a 100 yard game on Sunday night, was because Arizona is the only team in the NFL that doesn't know how to stop the 2004 version of the 49ers. Rmemeber? Back when Lloyd was the sole WR threat? All you have to do is press him at the line and double cover him and you can take him out of the game entirely. It didn't really matter all that much that Lloyd was able to make a few plays here and there, because instead of Eric Johnson and Cedric Wilson... they only had to account for Johnnie Morton. (Only 3 Niner's WR have caught passes this season: Battle, Lloyd, and Morton, and the TE's are an afterthought in the passing game).
----

If both of Battle and Lloyd are healthy and in the starting lineup, they both make quality #3 fantasy WRs. Lloyd as the deep threat is more of a boom or bust (65/1, 17/0, 142/2), whereas Battle is the more consistent possession WR (59/1, 44/0, 68/1). IF either of them misses time and or Alex Smith is the starting QB, avoid at all costs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk