Kurt Warner's head - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kurt Warner's head

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby AF » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:30 pm

I couldn't agree more with the comment about getting Faulk more touches. An easily top five running back in the NFL there is no reason in the world that you only get him 16 touches for the whole damn game and let your mildly retarded QB throw 54 times when he can't even hold on to the damn ball. Jaws tore him apart last night referring to him as a Pop Warner QB. I thought that was damn funny.
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:05 pm

I hope he's cleared to play the 49'ers next weekend. I'd be more worried if Bulger was starting.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:09 pm

I can understand the criticism of Warner's choice to stay in the game. Beign a mild concussion he may have thought it was not a serious injury and just had the attitude of playing through it till the half. Halftime being according to the news when he told the trainers about his problem and they cleared him to play (with a concussion???).

At that point the responsibility of the coaching staff and trainers to protect the player is where the blame rests. They should have known better than to continue playing someone in his condition. Let alone, continue to call passing plays when his head is already banged up. Especially with Marshall Faulk in the backfield. Especially with Marc Bulger on the sidelines. Warner should've been given immediate medical attention right during the 3rd quarter. I wouldn't fault him for playing with his injury when his coach and trainers cleared him. Players develope a trust with their coaches and trainers. They expect and trust that their trainers will not put them in unnecessarily dangerous situations. Similarly, players develope the attitude of listening to their coach, and trusting in their decision making. If they didn't you'd see Linebackers and QBs changing the called play at least once every drive of every football game.

That being said, faulting Warner for playing a terrible game is a bit harsh. The man played football (almost entirely a passing game on offense too) with a concussion for over half the game. It's remarkable that he managed to throw over 300 yards and average over 10 yards a completion when you consider the fragile state his mind was in. He had gone to the trainers, they cleared him, the coach cleared him. Any player who cared about his team would be telling himself its all in his mind or must've been something they ate at that point, because otherwise the trainers would've caught it.
maddog60

Friendliness: %

Postby josebach » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:17 pm

I didn't even think he was diagnosed as having a concussion until after the game when he started feeling nauseous and having terrible headaches? If this is true, shouldn't everybody just lay off Warner and Martz for now?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby yoda83 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:59 pm

no. there's no laying off warner and martz. even if the concussion wasnt diagnosed until the 2nd half or after the game, martz admitted that warner was out of it in the first half. he even said warner looked like he was having problems registering the play calls; "he looked confused when [we] gave him a play... we shouldnt have played him".

and what does martz do w/ a loopy QB who's fumbling the ball and not understanding the plays? he calls over 50 passing plays!!! all the while, one of the best RBs in the league is sitting right there in the very same backfield!! and that RB gets only 9 carries?

and that's not even the crazy part. the insanity is that this is the very same script that sent the rams to an 0-5 start LAST YEAR. against a team that handed them one of those first five losses.

martz is an arrogant jack@ss. he's got it in his thick@ss head that he's gonna do it HIS way and damn all the facts that suggest otherwise. just like he did last season en route to an 0-5 beginning. someone needs to step in before he cripples the rams season again. he did it twice last year by playing warner too long early on and then bringing warner back against the redskins.

and warner's a punk for not stepping up and bowing out. i know he's got his pride and his career is on the line. but damn! he killed it for the team and the city a year ago. that first time i can understand, but this is pure bullsiht on his part.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:10 pm

Martz is the worst coach in pro football. One of our coaches up here in the CFL could do a better job. The Rams needed a FG & a TD to tie the game, what does Martz do twice in FG distance? He goes for it on 4th & long!

The guy burns all his time outs early & challenges plays that would never get overturned. I hate the Rams with all my hart, but come on now. This team should be a lot better!

:-t 8-o :-o !+)
A.K.A. The Dark Canuck

"It is better to die on your feet than it is to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata
Tom Joad
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tarheels240 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:11 pm

First of all, I think that it is not Warner's fault. He got injured in the first quarter and look at the second half he had. It was very solid, he had a td pass to holt and also almost lead his team back, if it wasnt for martz being a dumbass. If you should be criticizing any1 it should be mike martz. I live in St. Louis and he is the biggest idiot i have ever seen. I dont know if you guys saw the game, but what the hell was he thinking when he went for it on 4th and 12 down by 10 with 6 minutes left. That was the most boneheaded thing i have ever seen in football. Mike Martz needs to be fired right now for being an absolute moron.
tarheels240

Postby tarheels240 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:12 pm

I posted the same time as you and we said the same thing. I definitely agree with you except for one thing, i am a rams fan
tarheels240

Postby ironman » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:19 pm

How about we not group Warner and Martz together? Martz is by far the biggest jackass of them all. I lost whatever shred of respect I had for him after that so called coaching job he did in the Super Bowl against New England. The only other coach to pull of the deer-in-the-headlights look in the face of pressure better than Martz is Isiah Thomas!
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Bad coach, bad QB, but what about that O-line?

Postby latraffic » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:29 pm

I'm all with you in the Warner bashing. He looked dazed and confused from the first minute on. Amazing. Wasn't it just a few years ago that this guy was making reads like a football god? And Martz. I simply can't understand him. He calls plays like my 9 year old on Playstation - pass, pass, pass. What's wrong with a good running game? You CAN'T win over the long haul without one. Of course, it's not like he has anyone in the backfield who can carry the rock... uh, except for maybe that Hall of Fame destined guy FAULK! Jeezus! What a dumb@ss. But, if we are pointing out problems with the Rams - don't forget to zing that "much improved" offensive line. Much improved compared to what?
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk