Portis: A Strong Sophomore Start - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

Portis: A Strong Sophomore Start

Moderator: Football Moderators

Portis: A Strong Sophomore Start

Postby SinCity » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:00 pm

Sept. 7, 2003
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

CINCINNATI -- One could hear the collective gasp of the representatives of Bronco Nation at Paul Brown Stadium when Clinton Portis fell to the bluegrass of Paul Brown Stadium late in the third quarter of Sunday's 30-10 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Writhing in pain, Portis was unable to rise after his 19th carry of the day, one that put him over the 100-yard mark for the fifth time in his last six regular-season games. A Bengals defender had stepped on his foot, and for a moment, Denver's bellwether back could barely move.

"I was trying to plant, and they stepped on my foot from the side. So it kind of went numb," Portis said.

But Head Coach Mike Shanahan wasn't concerned. After watching Portis up close for 17 regular-season games, he knows it would take more than a misplaced foot to fell the running back.

"I just know how tough he is," Shanahan said. "I thought there might be a little setback, but I'd be surprised if anything could keep this guy down. Whatever his weight is, he plays about 40 pounds heavier. It would surprise me if he was knocked out of a game or even practice with the way he's prepared and the way he's hung in there."

That was the sole hiccup on a day that saw him start a year better than any Broncos running back ever has. His 120 yards were a Broncos opening-day record, besting the 116 yards posted by Gaston Green against Cincinnati in 1991. Further, Portis' performance was the franchise's first season-opening 100-yard rushing performance away from Denver.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/front-feat ... o=shownews
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Orange and Blue » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:15 am

I love this kid. Remember, this is the guy who absolutely KILLED AZ last year at the end of the season, getting 3 TDs if I recall correctly, and told the coaches midway through the third quarter that he'd been playing all day with the flu.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SinCity » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:09 am

He's an exciting back to say the least man. Speed, slasher, reciever... ect. Lots of talent.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Orange and Blue » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:35 am

Heh, if you can make sense of my sig, you'll know MY thoughts on him...
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Denver Broncos