Teams that focused draft on WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Teams that focused draft on WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Teams that focused draft on WR

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:39 pm

Any teams here or in your leagues that focused on WR after round 1 (or even starting in round 1)... how are those teams doing this year?

Just a curiousity. I did RBs for the first 2 rounds, but honestly, T.O. and Steve Smith have been the means to 3 of my 4 wins. I figure there have to be some people who aimed to get 3 or 4 stud WRs.

Care to share?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballchick23 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:51 pm

Our 12-team draft was pretty RB heavy for the first 2 rounds, the usual WR's were taken in Rounds 2 & 3. The crazy thing is that TO wasn't picked up until Round 6 or 7! We drafted like a month before the season started and he still hadn't made nice with Philly yet so no one wanted to touch him. So far, the WR core for the top 2 guys in my league are: 1st-Holt, J. Smith, Chambers (he's getting all his points from LT, 2nd pick overall) 2nd-TO, D. Jax and he had the 3rd pick in our draft.

Personally, I took Edge 1.9 and then got Harrison 2.9 and Horn 3.9 because there weren't many RB's left. I learned my lesson from last year...I had a decent RB core but crappy WR's...killed me after Week 6. I won anyway, but I'm not making that mistake again! WR's are always available off the WW, but in deep leagues, sometimes there's not that much left to choose from. I'm in 3rd so far, so we'll see how it goes.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:54 pm

I didn't, but wish I had. Next year, no matter how much crowing everyone does about RB, RB, I'm going my own way. I wanted TO, CJ, or Moss and passed to take that 2nd RB, and look at me now. I have a turd on my bench by the name of Kevin Jones, who at the moment can't even hold the jock of another Jones around here who is oft accused of being a turd. It just so happens I traded the wrong Jones away. The guys in my league that stocked on WR's are gold right now, while I scramble to get matchups from week to week, and still end up losing.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:57 pm

One team in my 12 team money league drafted like this:
1. Shaun A.
2. Chad
3. Horn
4. Roy Williams

He's 3-1 right now. At QB, he's been playing Big Ben or Vick...Dunn at the other RB.

He took high points in Week 3 when SA had 4 TDs and Chad had 2TDs.

Someone else went CPepp, RMoss, then TGonz. Needless to say, his team is tanking.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:58 pm

We drafted in early mid August, and everyone was mocking T.O. Moss went in rd 1. I got Edge in rd 1, Jamal in 2, and then went T.O.

Steve Smith and Roy Williams in middle rounds, Muhsin near the end. So I have 2 great WRs on teams that USE them, and I have 2 great/really good WRs on teams with big QB problems, and it's proven to be one of the biggest factors this season.

I will grant that this year has seemed a little weird at RB, though. At least a little unpredictable.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Warhawk » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:10 pm

I went RB/QB/WR/WR/RB in almost all my drafts. Worked out decently.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Teh Jury » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:19 pm

There a guy in my league who went the opposite route and neglected WRs. He's been cycling through Kick Returners in the WR spots this year, with Dante Hall as the foundation of his WR corps. It appears to be a decent strategy, but I think it a trio of good WRs will outdo a trio of KRs most times, and he didn't really stack the other positions to gain much of an advantage through the draft.
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Challie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:20 pm

I've said this before but here goes ....

I don't think there's a WR that's worth an overall top 3 pick (except for Moss a couple of years ago). I do think it's important to get a WR by the 3rd round, usually and sometimes 1st or 2nd depending on who's available. Here's why:

Over the course of the season, you can "discover" a RB out of clear nowhere from an injury. A guy on a WW can become a stud. About 3-4 of these happen in a year (none yet, unless you could Willie Parker) and another 1-2 at QB (like a Billy Volek last year). This just doesn't happen at WR. A WR can emerge to be good, but never studly. Lee Evans and Michael Clayton were the closest thing last year, but not saviors.

So, right now of the top 5 WRs drafted in my 14-team money league, the records are 3-1, 2-2, 2-2, 2-2 and 1-3. But I think those numbers will rise over the long haul, as RBs start going down.

At least it's the theory I always use ... I think I've taken a WR in 2nd or 1st round the last 5 years and I've got 2 titles, 2 seconds and a fourth to show for it. Then again, I'm active on the waiver wire, so maybe that has something to do with it, too.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:23 pm

The people with two top WR's are doing pretty well in my leagues. Warpigs has CJ and Owens in one (early draft when he was way undervalued) and is 4-0. Most of the other guys like that are 3-1.

It's really not a bad strategy as long as you get a later RB that can perform as a solid #2 or find one on the wire.

There haven't been a whole lot of random breakout WR's or major RB injuries yet, so that may change as the season progresses.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Teh Jury » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:28 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:The people with two top WR's are doing pretty well in my leagues. Warpigs has CJ and Owens in one (early draft when he was way undervalued) and is 4-0. Most of the other guys like that are 3-1.

It's really not a bad strategy as long as you get a later RB that can perform as a solid #2 or find one on the wire.

There haven't been a whole lot of random breakout WR's or major RB injuries yet, so that may change as the season progresses.

I find total points to be a better indicator of team quality than record...
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk