Teams that focused draft on WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Teams that focused draft on WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Birderdude » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:53 pm

[quote="Paladyr]
Unless you drafted after the season started, I don't see why you would pick FWP at 7.12.[/quote]

Drafted on Saturday before the first games. There was enough a pretty good buzz on these very boards about him by then. I may have picked him a little earlier than needed, but I knew I was going to need to need a little luck in reguards to RB and he looked like the best long shot.
Birderdude
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:12 pm

Next year im going RB-WR-RB
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Gnu314 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:48 pm

This year I went RB/WR/WR/RB drafting from 9th in a 10 team league. My draft was

Deuce
Moss
Holt
Jordan (Westbrook was available here, hindsight...)

I got Djax in the 7th round and recently traded him for Harrison.

I'm 2-2 due to some bad matchups and keeping Buffalo D and Ryan Longwell too long. I'm starting a soft part of my schedule soon and I'm hoping that I can bounce up from 5th place a bit. My final roster...

QB - Marc Bulger
WR - Randy Moss
WR - Marvin Harrison
WR - Torry Holt
RB - Deuce McAllister
RB - Lamont Jordan
TE - Jason Witten
Bnc - Willie Parker
Bnc - Michael Clayton
Bnc - Mike Anderson
Bnc - Jake Delhomme
K - John Kasay
Def - Denver
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:56 pm

I guess the curiousity stems from the effect one's draft position has on one's team, and how the league drafts. I'd be afraid to not pick at least 1 stud RB in the first round, but I was thinking it might pay off next season to get RB, and then be the first guy hitting the WR or QB picks. WR in particular, though, because they've been winning most of the games for teams in my league so far.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby s0meguy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Here's how my draft went -

1) R Moss
2) T Holt
3) C Dillon (steal)
4) M Clayton (bust)
5) B Favre
Then, in an unknown order I drafted M Bennett, P Burress, L Johnson, W Dunn

My goal was to get 3 stud WRs (we start 3), a solid #1 back, a solid QB, and take a bunch of high upside guys for the number 2 back and hope one of them pans out. So far Clayton busted but I replaced him with Burress so I still have my 3 stud WRs, Dillon was the solid back, Favre has done alright as a solid QB but I would like more consistency, and the #2 back didn't pan out yet. My logic was that past LT and SA, there was a lot more of a chance that the next tiers of RBs would bust than the top tier of WRs which were available, so they felt like safer picks.

I'm 4-0
Last edited by s0meguy on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby grover99 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 pm

s0meguy wrote:Here's how my draft went -

1) R Moss
2) T Holt
3) C Dillon (steal)
4) M Clayton (bust)
5) B Favre
Then, in an unknown order I drafted M Bennett, P Burress, L Johnson, W Dunn

My goal was to get 3 stud WRs (we start 3), a solid #1 back, a solid QB, and take a bunch of high upside guys for the number 2 back and hope one of them pans out. So far Clayton busted but I replaced him with Burress so I still have my 3 stud WRs, Dillon was the solid back, Favre has done alright as a solid QB but I would like more consistency, and the #2 back didn't pan out yet. My logic was that past LT and SA, there was a lot more of a chance that the next tiers of RBs would bust than the top tier of WRs which were available, so they felt like safer picks.

You can't count a draft where dillon drops to the 3rd round.
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:10 pm

"My logic was that past LT and SA, there was a lot more of a chance that the next tiers of RBs would bust than the top tier of WRs which were available, so they felt like safer picks."

Exactly. And just deliberately going that route could theoretically pan out. Just because you decide to go WR, doesn't mean it's going to influence your opponents to do so. You should theoretically be able to pick the #1 WR, and then with your next pick, get the second best option, before people snap to and realize that their hopeful options are being snagged by other players.

The thought process is "RBs are the source of most scoring" but that's only in direct comparison. The BEST WRs could score more than one of the top 10 RBs and one of the top 20 RBs.

Just for giggles, I may have to try this next year... draft 1 and 2 as WRs, 3 and 4 as QBs, and then 5 and 6 look for any remaining starting RBs or promising backups. In theory, I'd think you could get either the 2 best WRs or 2 of the top 3 WRs, and 2 of the top 5-10 QBs. That's a lot of points.

Nothing replaces the WW, but there just might be value in picking the OPPOSITE of what teams in your league expect you to pick. Unless you have 1, 2, or 3rd pick overall. :)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby s0meguy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:32 pm

grover wrote:You can't count a draft where dillon drops to the 3rd round.

Suprisingly, you can. Maybe not Dillon, but before my money league I did 3-4 mocks where guys like Westbrook, Jackson, Jordon, Dillon, Portis were there in the 3-4th rounds. Granted not all those guys panned out, but they are all starters with high upside. Someone always falls to far because teams will draft their starting RBs and not re assess the position until they have filled all their QB and WR starters, even if the value is off.
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:47 pm

Here's a perfect example for you. The guy drafting first in our league went after WR's like crazy. I drafted second. We start 2QB/2RB/2WR/1FLEX.

He went Manning, Holt, Harrison, FTaylor, Brady, Ward. Then when Penny went down he traded Brady/FTaylor/Ward-4- RMoss. I bitched but the other team only had one QB left and we make sure they aren't on the wire, and I'm sure it wasn't collusion.

I went LT, Portis, Westy, Caddy, Hass, DJax.

After 4 weeks we match up like this:

Manning - Palmer
McNair - Hass.
Dunn - LT
Duckett - Westy
RMoss - DJax
Holt - Boldin
Harrison - Caddy or Portis

So his RB's are bad, but they do score consistantly. He's dead when ATL has a bye, but on normal weeks he scores. And considering Manning coming back, it could get ugly.

My saving grace, and main reason I shy from the WR based team, is even with these 3 studs, WR still score with more variance. Normallly they end the season comparable to RB's in total score. So a WR based team will blow teams out or lose most of the time. With a RB based team, you score at a more consitant level and will not have to worry about as many down weeks. Plus later in the season, weather more affects the passing game more than the running game, making it even more volatile.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:49 pm

[quote="Sixxgunn"] I have a turd on my bench by the name of Kevin Jones