Teams that focused draft on WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Teams that focused draft on WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:01 pm

I went like this for my first 4 rounds

1. Jamal
2. T.O.
3. Chad
4. Jordan

Looking good right now....
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:44 am

Birderdude wrote:I drafted 12th in a 12 team EA Sports league. The first 11 picks in the draft were 10 RBs and P. Manning so I took a flyer and did this:

1.12- R Moss
2.1 - TO
3.12 - Westbrook
4.1 - Chris Brown
5.12 - Bulger
6.1 - Dallas Clark
7.12 - FWP
8.1 - Deion Branch
9.12 - New England
10.1 - Steven Davis
11.12 - Barlow
12.1 - McNair
13.12 - Longwell
14.1 - Toomer
15.12 - Matt Jones

I'm 4-0, lead my league is scoring and am ranked 80th of all the team in all the EA sports leagues (around 5000 total teams I think).

With a core of Moss, TO, Westbrook, and Bulger, I feel pretty comfortable. FWP has been huge so far, but if his production falls off Davis should be pretty steady #2. I've droped Matt Jones and picked up Terry Glenn. Glenn and Branch seem pretty solid as #3 WRs. I was also able to pickup Jake Plumber and drop McNair.

Overall I'm very pleased with how this worked out for me.

Bulger was still on the board at 5.12?

I can see the logic to RB/WR/WR/RB, or some combo depending on who's available. But I still will look to go RB/RB every year unless someone's on the board that you just can't pass up. (In one of my leagues this year I got Randy in the 3rd because everyone was QB happy...you just don't know 'til the draft starts.)

IMO, Quality RB's are less plentiful and more stable (fantasy wise) than WR's (I won my $$$ league last year with Evans and Porter in my lineup in the Title Game (both off the WW) over AJ (4th Round...benched) and CJ (3rd Round... Traded). My first two picks in that league were RB's, and carried my team the whole year.

End of the day, it depends on the league, the draft, and its owners. But I'm an RB guy. YMMV.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:57 am

Paladyr wrote:
Birderdude wrote:I drafted 12th in a 12 team EA Sports league. The first 11 picks in the draft were 10 RBs and P. Manning so I took a flyer and did this:

1.12- R Moss
2.1 - TO
3.12 - Westbrook
4.1 - Chris Brown
5.12 - Bulger
6.1 - Dallas Clark
7.12 - FWP
8.1 - Deion Branch
9.12 - New England
10.1 - Steven Davis
11.12 - Barlow
12.1 - McNair
13.12 - Longwell
14.1 - Toomer
15.12 - Matt Jones

I'm 4-0, lead my league is scoring and am ranked 80th of all the team in all the EA sports leagues (around 5000 total teams I think).

With a core of Moss, TO, Westbrook, and Bulger, I feel pretty comfortable. FWP has been huge so far, but if his production falls off Davis should be pretty steady #2. I've droped Matt Jones and picked up Terry Glenn. Glenn and Branch seem pretty solid as #3 WRs. I was also able to pickup Jake Plumber and drop McNair.

Overall I'm very pleased with how this worked out for me.

Unless you drafted after the season started, I don't see why you would pick FWP at 7.12.

took the words out of my mouth....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby ramrodderz » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:01 am

This year I drafted:

1.6 McGahee
2.3 RJohnson
3.6 JHorn
4.6 CJohnson
5.6 Brees(was the best left by then)

This is a 8 team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, K, D, 1pt/rec league. I'm 1-2-1 with the 3rd lowest point totals. QB slot probably hurting me the most. Next year I might draft RB, WR, WR, QB...
Roster -
QB: Dellhomme, Grossman, Kitna
RB: LT, SJax, Dunn
WR: Fitz, RoyWilliams, Booker, Chambers, Moulds
K: Gould, Akers
D: Sea, Atl
ramrodderz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:07 am

ramrodderz wrote:This year I drafted:

1.6 McGahee
2.3 RJohnson
3.6 JHorn
4.6 CJohnson
5.6 Brees(was the best left by then)

This is a 8 team 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, K, D, 1pt/rec league. I'm 1-2-1 with the 3rd lowest point totals. QB slot probably hurting me the most. Next year I might draft RB, WR, WR, QB...

If Brees was the best left, you might have been better off waiting a few rounds on a QB. When I draft, I always keep track of how many QBs, TEs, and DEFs go off the board.

If it's a 12 team league and 11 QBs are off the board, I know that most people won't take a backup QB real early. I can legitimately wait at least 3 rounds before taking a QB.

I made some savvy picks by counting how many of these 3 positions are off the board. If 5 TEs are off the board and there's a TE I really want, I may want to grab him next shot. There's still 6 other teams that need a TE.

Just some food for thought.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramrodderz » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:43 am

If Brees was the best left

At the time everything I was reading had Brees as a legit starting QB. I guess I should rephrase that to "the best I thought was left". McNabb, Cpep, Brady, Bulger, Kollins were all gone. Palmer was available but I already had 3 top 10 players with the same bye week as him, including 2 other Bengals, so I took Brees instead. Next year I'm not going to worry about the bye week thing so much, if I had Palmer I'd be 3-1 instead of 1-2-1, worrying about one week has cost me 2 Ws so far.
Roster -
QB: Dellhomme, Grossman, Kitna
RB: LT, SJax, Dunn
WR: Fitz, RoyWilliams, Booker, Chambers, Moulds
K: Gould, Akers
D: Sea, Atl
ramrodderz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shabadoo25 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:02 am

I went QB first because we give the same points for passing td's as running. I took McNabb with the 5th pick because Culpepper (thank God!) and Peyton were gone.

After that, I went:

2. TO (gotta love the double dip)
3. Rudi J.
4. Dominack D.
5. Michael Clayton (ugh)
6. Stephen D.
7. Shayne Graham
8. Buffalo d (ugh)

I'm screwed at TE with Jeramy Stevens, but other than Gates' owners, who isn't? I picked up the Miami 'd' off waivers as well as Terry Glenn who I traded for Jamal Lewis. I just traded Rudi for Hines Ward. I also got Kevin Curtis and Eli Manning as FA's.

I'm 3-1, and I'm thrilled with the McNabb/TO points as long as they stay healthy.
shabadoo25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AcesFull » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:05 am

This year was a perfect time to try the WR strategy. Outside of LT and SA none of the top backs were really locks to produce. I went KJ, TO, Chad, Caddy, Shockey, Palmer. My team is 3-1. Of coures in another league i didn't have that luxury and had to take two mediocre RB's and that team is lucky to be 2-2.
The Guru
Cutler, Schaub, Thigpen
Addai, Portis, Slaton, Rhodes, Ward
B Marshall, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, A. Bryant
Cooley, Boss
Prater
Dolphins, Vikings
AcesFull
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hugh M. Griz » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:28 am

AcesFull wrote:... Outside of LT and SA none of the top backs were really locks to produce...

This gets to the nub of the issue.
For years I was a consistent RB-RB guy. Was always competitive, but never won the big dance. Part of it was things like my first pick blowing out a knee (Terrell Davis, Edge), but last year I his rock bottom with Duece at 1.8 and Jamal at 2.4 (compounded by SMoss as my first WR).

Looking over the last several years of fantasy production, it appears a small cadre of WR are actually more consistent producers than most of the RB behind LT-Alexander (CMart, anyone? Jamal ... again? KJones, maybe?).

So I decided to target one of those top WR in each of my leagues and not keep getting hammered in WR points all year.

In a league I picked 10th of 10, I went JJones/TO and crafted a team that is 3-1 with 2nd-high points.
In a league I picked 2nd of 10, I went Alexander/CJohnson and built a team that is 4-0 (though only 3rd in points due to some underperformers in the middle rounds).

Only time will tell how this works, and I'm not ready to start WR/WR with a draft, but I can say TO and CJ are holding up their end of the bargain.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Hugh M. Griz
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

*raises hand*

Postby ender_va » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:20 am

I had the 6th pic in a 12 team draft (a money league even), and experimented by taking Moss, Owens, and Horn in the first three rounds. So far I'm 4-0 and in first. *crosses fingers*
ender_va
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk