Teams that focused draft on WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Teams that focused draft on WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Johnny Vodka » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:52 am

I had the 10th pick in a 16 team league. I took Harrison 1st and TO 2nd. I got rookie RB's and picked up Parker off the ww early in the season and I'm 3-1 even without stud backs. My only loss happened because I got bit by a bad week of players sucking, it happens. I'm the top scorer in my league and I've got the most well rounded team despite the depth of the league.

I had to trade for Trent Green (was starting Warner) and picked up Henry off the waivers. I can also have ammo to trade with Heap, but since he's done nothing this year, no one wants him.

QB - T. Green
WR - M. Harrison
WR - T. Owens
RB - C. Williams
RB - W. Parker
TE - J. Shockey
K - N. Rackers
D - Jacksonville

QB - J McCown
WR - T. Houshmandzadeh
WR - T. Williamson
RB - L. Johnson
RB - T Henry
TE - T. Heap
Johnny Vodka
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:15 am

and this was discussed (or should i say debated? fought?) pre-season.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

what it really comes down to is that there are general rules that work (i don't know if anyone's ever won drafting a defense 1st round), but much of drafting is individual strategies and individual preferences and the dynamics of the draft as it progresses. and that the only way you really lose in fantasy football is by drafting players you despise because someone else convinces you it's unchallengable strategy and don't have fun following and rooting for your team.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knicks4ever » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:10 pm

im really wishing i followed this idea. In my money leauge i went rb, rb, rb, taking deuce, davis, portis (we have a flex) i passed up on TO in the 2nd round in favor of DDavis. LAter in the draft i nabbed Mike Anderson and Caddy. I traded Anderson for Gonzo but still i am left w/ 4 running backs who deserve to play and i have to watch the team w/ TO leading the leauge in points. If i took TO i would of had this roster

palmer
Deuce, Portis, Caddy
TO, Smith, Wayne
Gonzo

instead i have this

palmer
Deuce, Portis, DDavis, Caddy (i play matchups)
Smith, Wayne, Ro Willams/Clayton/Lloyd
Gonzo

its not bad but im gonna be 2-3 and with TO i think i would of been around 4-1
Knicks4ever
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:15 pm

I've rode my WRs to 1st place in my league, currently. I took Peyton Manning in Round 1, and at WR I have Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, and I play Terry Glenn at my Flex position, with Clinton Portis and Stephen Davis at RB with Foster, Larry Johnson, and Tatum Bell as other RB options. I try and go this route every year, it seems, whether I intend to or not, and for the most part it pays off. I'm always a Top 3 player in my league. You just run the possibility of being burnt because WRs are more prone to having poor fantasy days than RBs, it seems, and in most leagues it seems that RBs are more valuable point-wise than WRs. In my league that's not the case.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tiki » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:01 pm

Kid in my league is now 4-1 but he drated Moss, TO, Ward. He is doing decent due to the fact he got Caddy, and Palmer. But he lost this week. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:20 pm

my draft went like this...

1. lewis
2. portis
3. bulger
4. J walker- gotta go after a top 10/5 WR

despite walker going down, i'm still doing alright and should be 3-2 after today. As a rule of thumb, I'd say it's almost mandatory to draft a top flight WR by AT LEAST round 4. If not, you could be in for a long season with high potential/high risk wr's...
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby anx2a77 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:44 am

I am on my way to being 5-0 this week. I have a substantial lead over my opponent (which I thought was going to tear me a new one w/ Manning vs SF) but I am going to pull it off.

I play in a PPR league and I have made smart decisions from draft day on (to acknowledge all the folks in this forum for help as well). We use a WR/TE Flex and while everyone else was picking up TE I never drafted one and went with straight WRs.

I was in the middle of the draft (5 of 10).
Round 1 - D Davis (solid runner and PPR points too)
Round 2 - Ahman Green (picked up Davenport this week as insur)
Round 3 - T Green (consistant)
Round 4 - TO (drafted before he settled with Phily so owners were sketchy)
Round 5 - Ward
Round 6 - Steve Smith (owners were sketchy of his injury)
Picked up Ricky Willams, W Parker and McCardell from FA before week 1

Had Bettis in the draft I then used Parker and Bettis along with J Jurevicious, McCardell, and Palmer to make a trade in week 2 for McGahee, Horn, and Bulger (that right a 5 player for 3 player trade) - I bought Horn and McGahee low and got Bulger too.

My current team looks like this:
QB - M Bulger, T Green
RB - D Davis, A Green, W McGahee,
RB - N Davenport, Ri Williams
WR - T Owens, H Ward, S Smith, J Horn
WR - D Branch, R Smith
K - J Kasay, J Feely
DEF - Tenn vs Hou (I use rent-a-Def by match-ups)
IMP - D Edwards, B Urlacher

I will drop Davenport Monday and look for some RB depth
anx2a77
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk