New Found Respect (My Opinion) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New Found Respect (My Opinion)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:57 am

I agree to a point. And my posts aren't to denigrate Farve -- he is a Hall of Famer. But I think the circlejerk that he alone has all of the essential qualities of winning is getting a bit much. I have seen a fair number of Pack games where it was because of his tendencies to do the stupid shuttle pass or chuck it up there, that they lost.

I don't think you can define a career by NOT winning a Super Bowl, but it certainly counts in your "plus column" if you do win one. for Farve, I'd venture to say it was because of him that they won. I think I feel the same way about Aikman too, I know they had irvin and emmit, but christ, he was good. I wouldn't say it was because of marino that Miami didn't win one -- if that makes sense.

I think the reason they say it about qb's is because its the harderst position to play, in most cases has a hell of a lot to do with the outcome of the game, and they are the team's leader. So with more glory, comes more responsibility.

Frankly, at this point -- its probably silly to talk about Farve. He is in the hall, he is a good qb still, but he isn't as good as brady, mcnabb or peyton at this time. He is exempt I guess.

It just sickens me when its like he is the only one who has overcome adversity on the field and off -- when some of his adversity is his own fault (painkillers, stupid turnovers). Great guy all in all, but its old.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:18 am

Yes, I agree. The fact is that, at this time, Favre is not as good a QB as manning, brady, or mcnabb. In his prime, he was as good or better than all of them. The thing is, we're talking about, most likely, four HoF QBs here. The problem is, Favre is older than the others and it's hard to compare them because they are essentially from different eras. While Manning, McNabb, and Brady are in the prime of their careers, Favres is almsot over. I agree that historically, Favre is the better QB right now. However, that is mostly because the others still have things to accomplish and games to play. We shall see in 7 or so years how their careers turned out.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Ripcord » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:58 pm

I have decided that the difference in the 2 qb's manning and farve, the defining moment in Farve's Career was the superboel ring he has, Manning's defining moment is this.....

CUT THAT MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
"To get the full affects of it you really have to be in my seat"
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby awwchrist » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:05 pm

no idea what that means
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:42 pm

Ripcord wrote:CUT THAT MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

"You're my favorite accountant!"

Also, if we're just doing commercials, Favre has the better one:

"I would've double-bagged it."
"I would've gone with vanilla."
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Warhawk » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:04 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Ripcord wrote:CUT THAT MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

"You're my favorite accountant!"

Also, if we're just doing commercials, Favre has the better one:

"I would've double-bagged it."
"I would've gone with vanilla."

Mmm, forgot about those.

So Manning is tied with Favre for shameless selling-out to advertising. Well played.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yrr » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:00 pm

Favre getting old makes me sad...like this feeling i have to say goodbye to an old friend soon :(
Yrr
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SniperShot » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:13 am

I think Favre still has it in him. He can sometimes look like a mastermind, sometimes look like a dork. He throws a bunch of stupid INT's but them some totally awesome TD's. Just remember that Monday night game Vs. Oakland last year, Heck that was one of the greatest QB preformances I have ever seen. And it was a day after his father passed away. I have great respect for Favre and I hope he keeps doing well. Now GB just needs to win...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Football Talk