spurrier is a moron - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

spurrier is a moron

Moderator: Football Moderators

spurrier is a moron

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:50 pm

is it just me or didnt we hear thursday night that betts was gonna be the starting back... cause i just heard canidate was named the starter... he keeps switching and i have canidate and probly will either trade or drop him now with him and betts both having equal value IMO... stay away from redskins rbs if they split.
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:54 pm

Spurrior's team won their game.

I dont think he is the moron in this situation.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:25 pm

Just because he wants to figure out which RB helps him win actual football games rather than one to help you win your fantasy football game, does not make him a moron.

In fact, I've been a gator all my life, and I can tell you, the difference between now and when Spurrier was around is night and day.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby hondo9 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:45 pm

Spurrier would only be a moron in this situation if he insisted on playing Canidate too much in situations where Betts is the better option. Betts is a better back overall than Canidate. Canidate's speed will lead him to burn a couple when he has major daylight. Betts, however, routinely breaks tackles that Canidate cannot and gets additional yardage after the hit. Not Canidate. And don't underestimate Betts's speed. He's not a burner but he's fast enough to gain serious yardage and tough yardage too. Right now, folks in Washington are talking about how much he reminds them of Stephen Davis. Way too early to tell whether he'll approach the accomplishments of Davis though. But if you really want to figure out what to do with the Skins RB's, go with Betts. Canidate is getting the "start" only for the time being because the front office traded a 4th round pick for him.
hondo9
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:06 pm

In fact, I've been a gator all my life, and I can tell you, the difference between now and when Spurrier was around is night and day.

i admit spurrier is a good college coach but if ur team beats the jets who had 40 year old vinny testeverde as their qb by only 3 pts at home ur team obviously isnt very good. i think he is a bad pro coach and if he were smart he would stick with one rb starting and have the other just be an insurance back..
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:22 pm

Ohio state beat san diego state by only 3, does that mean ohio state's not a very good team?

Same goes for the dolphins, they lost to the Texans.

That doesn't make any sense, the jets will win some games this year, even with vinny as qb, and it doesn't make any team that they beat bad.

Give spurrier some time, he said if he doesn't have things going by the end of year 3 he'll quit.

Even still, whether or not he's a good NFL coach, the way he's using the RB's does NOT make him a moron...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby tomkatt » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:56 pm

I'm a Canidate owner, and what pissed me off the most is that Betts DID look like the better back on Thursday night. I'm pissed at myself for drafting Canidate as high as I did. If I'm Spurrier, I'm starting Betts. He is definetely the better of the two when it comes to the tough yards and tackle breaking ability. Trung will probably bust off some big plays, but another thing that worries me is that they were using Chad Morton in that 3rd and long role. How many oppurtunities is Canidate going to get to score? Tough situation.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:14 am

I though that Spurrier’s team played pretty well on Thursday. Goth Trung and Betts looked affective. I could see where he would want to start Canidate because he fits into his offensive scheme better. Also Betts takes advantage of the change of pace he offers when he comes in. Yeah the Jets had a 40-year-old QB and their head coach made poor decisions all game long, but Spurrier had a raw QB playing and he won. That makes you smart for a week in the NFL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby AF » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:23 am

If you look at the number, both running backs had the same yard/carry. Yes I agree Betts is a more powerful back but I would have Canidate in my backfield every passing down. Let him lay down a quick chop block to pick up the blitz or just release into the flats and if nothing is open downfield then dump it off to him.

Works like a charm in Madden 2004 anyway ;-D
[b][color=blue]Owner of Absolutely Fabulous:[/b][/color]Miami Redhawks Defending League Champions, 10 team 2 keeper money league.
AF
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:43 am

AF wrote:If you look at the number, both running backs had the same yard/carry. Yes I agree Betts is a more powerful back but I would have Canidate in my backfield every passing down. Let him lay down a quick chop block to pick up the blitz or just release into the flats and if nothing is open downfield then dump it off to him.

Works like a charm in Madden 2004 anyway ;-D

Numbers lie. I don't know if you watched the game or not, but betts was definitely putting up more yards per carry in practice. Bett's average was hurt by his goalline carries, and trung didn't get anything going until the fourth quarter when he came in fresh while the whole d was tired.

In the first 3 quarters, canidate was dancing around in the backfield looking for a big play and ending up with a yard, betts was EXPLODING through the hole (very fast and very hard) for 7 yard gains on a pretty consistent basis.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk