The I Hate Mike Martz Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The I Hate Mike Martz Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: re:

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:37 am

emaja wrote:Martz might be a great play designer

Im even gonna take exception with that statement. Im pretty sure the only time Martz was succesful was when he was using Vermeils playbook. Please correct me if Im wrong.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby brdmaverick » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:00 am

I hat Martz, I mean, What the Faulk is he doing, give the ball to Marshall.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby emaja » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:07 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
emaja wrote:Martz might be a great play designer

Im even gonna take exception with that statement. Im pretty sure the only time Martz was succesful was when he was using Vermeils playbook. Please correct me if Im wrong.

I am not stating this as a fact, but I thought that this offense belonged to Martz and he lobbied to have more control over it during their Super Bowl run.

I may be wrong, but I thought that I read this somewhere a few years back.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby Challie » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:01 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im even gonna take exception with that statement. Im pretty sure the only time Martz was succesful was when he was using Vermeils playbook. Please correct me if Im wrong.

This is the Martz sucks thread, but I do have to say that the 1999 Rams were the most incredible offense I've ever seen in 25-30 years of football viewing. I'm sure Vermeil had a lot to do with this but, playcalling was still damn important and I think we all recognize who was calling plays that year. Martz was in a playcalling zone that year and had a Midas touch.

OK, enough of the Martz compliments.

His ego seems to be ruining him. (Warner's ego is ruining him too - just throw the damn ball away before you get sacked - his biggest Achilles heel the last 13 months.) Several solid postings here save said it well: Martz is stuck backing his boy, but doing it so much that he won't let Marshall Faulk make him look like a genius.

And in spite of everything that happened for 45 minutes of play on Sunday, Martz TWICE went for idiotic 4th-and-several/long (wasn't it 4th & 5 AND 4th & 12?). Getting that game within 7 points would have changed a lot of things, and at least given them a chance after the 2-minute warning.

By the way, I have K Jeff Wilkins on two teams but those teams won anyway. I'm surprised I'm not seeing any Wilkins owners out there with major complaints.

More important than fantasy numbers though, this guy is running a great team into the ground. He's so interested in "thinking out of the box" that he's overthinking his team right out of the playoffs. In general, as a football fan, I just don't like it. A great offense (80s Niners, 1999 Rams, 1979 Chargers, etc.) is a beautiful thing to watch. What a waste.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mtarail » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:24 pm

Man I needed this thread like the desert needs the rain.
Corria and maverick are right ;-D

1) How many 4th and 1 field goals opportunities do you have to NOT take to prove that your are so smart and can run trick plays?

2) Faulk=7 or 8 touches? If you're getting blown out and need quick points without running the clock I might understand this. Oh, or if you're Mike Martz...

3) Warner and a concussion. Martz basically conceded that he looked confused, "slow" and possibly hurt, but played him anyway. This man is a genius.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:28 pm

I don't like or dislike the man but I do know one thing,he's got the job...not you bunch of whiners.

Get over it,Faulk will get his.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby emaja » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:03 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:I don't like or dislike the man but I do know one thing, he's got the job.

But for how long?

You posted in your "Week 1 Quotes" thread this quote:

"Rams head coach Mike Martz on the concussion QB Kurt Warner may have suffered during the first quarter of St. Louis’ 23-13 loss to the Giants: “He didn't seem the same after that. A lot of times he didn't seem to understand the plays we were calling from the sidelines.”"

What coach keeps sending out a QB who doesn't seem to understand the plays that were being called? A coach that is out of touch with reality. Warner was hurt and his play was hurting his team, yet Martz stayed with him, continued to make bad play calls, and left the game on the shoulders of a dazed and confused QB.

That's almost Jauron-like stupidity.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:13 pm

Your right.My point is that he's making a pile of cash to make these decisions concerning Faulk's touches or Warner's play,until someone sees fit to do something about it,us FF ballers will just have to deal with it...it is only week 1 afterall.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtarail » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:41 pm

I'm not whining or complaining.

I'm saying that Martz is a BAD coach and I don't care how much $$ he's making. There are quite a few bad guys in positions of power. Bidwell in AZ, Snyder in DC, the GM of the Mets. What makes Martz unique is that he's a HEAD COACH, yet he seems to have no finger on the pulse of his team, no control of his team, and little ability to call a decent game unless it involves numerous "tricky" plays that may or may not work.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
mtarail
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guttpuppy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:02 pm

mtarail wrote: no control of his team

Wrong,he has all control of that team/offense right now...if he didn't,this thread wouldn't exist.

Need some cheese with that...
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk